How many have PMS post-hyst and never had it pre-hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many have PMS post-hyst and never had it pre-hyst How many have PMS post-hyst and never had it pre-hyst

Unread 09-04-2000, 05:52 PM
How many have PMS post-hyst and never had it pre-hyst

Hi sisters,
I am curious because this seems to be a common occurrance.
I had LAVH(kept ovaries) 6 months ago and now suffer from PMS and never really had it before. I had the hormonal bloodwork and thyroid checks done and of course they all came out normal. I've been having major mood swings, some sweats, the bigger boob syndrome and just the feeling of not feeling just right. My doc told me they will try to work with me with some hormones.What I don't understand is
why didn't my bloodwork show some flucuations if I am having this? It seems to be cycling for me on and off . I will have the PMS for about 2-3 weeks and now for the past 2 weeks I have been feeling normal.
But the time is coming again, I can feel it.
If my bloodwork is normal how do they know what to supplement for me?
Lori Ann
LAVH 3-9-00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2000, 12:57 AM

Hi Lori,
Did you just have the bloodwork done once or several times over a few weeks? With fluctuating levels if you have blood tests it can be hard to determine what the real picture is as it changes constantly - even over a 24hr. period. I know that for me and a lot of others the PMS became more severe after hyst and really was more an indication of moving into menopause.(I'm 42 and did have some minor symptoms pre-hyst). It was not limited to any real cycle although I could still see some kind of pattern. My blood levels were also pretty good but a lot less than they had been pre-hyst.
It's good your doc is willing to work with you on this and hasn't taken the attitude that the bloodwork is OK and you still have your ovaries so there's nothing wrong. This is devastating for many of us because we KNOW we are not the same and there are some pretty blatant symptoms present.
They may supplement with progesterone as this can be one of the first to decline and cause PMS type symptoms. Often it is produced but you ovulate earlier and it diminishes before your cycle is on the downward run. This can cause the sore breasts, mood swings etc and fluctuating levels can cause hot flashes. The estrogen levels may be high or normal but not being balanced by a correct level of progesterone. It's important to look into natural progesterone as the synthetics can sometimes cause more probelms than they alleviate. There are lots of other things you can try to even out the estrogens such as Black Cohosh, Promensil etc. Vitamin B6 is good for mood swings.
Evening Primrose Oil helps with inflammation, breast tenderness and mood with some women. It's a trial and error thing finding out what will work for you. Let us know how you get along and what you end up using- you never know it may help someone else who wanders into tangled vines but who kept their ovaries.

Lily
Unread 09-05-2000, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info Lily,
I am only 33 so doc felt it is a tad too early for me to be in pre-menopause, and being my hyst was only 6 months ago they feel it is something because of the surgery.
I only had one hormonal bloodtest but like you said at least they are not leaving me out to dry and suffer.
I have been trying the PMS vitamins route first and am thinking of also trying the primrose oil.
thanks again and I will post down the road on how I am making out.
Lori Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2000, 09:51 PM

Lori--did they get an FSH or just hormone levels? It takes the FSH to reveal whether you are menopausal--and it can take several over time if you're fluctuating a lot. Can you set things up with an undated order for the test so you can go it to get it drawn when you feel really bad? Might be one way to catch it, if your body is still just flirting with the idea of menopause.

And, as Lily says, think of progesterone as that is the Number One menopausal uproar culprit. [blue]
Unread 09-06-2000, 02:24 AM
Yes!!whats up with these (((((BIG BOOBS!!))?????

Hi lori-Ann!!

Yes I never had any pms symptoms
before hysto!!!I thought water weight
was an excuse for eating too much in
past when women blamed it on that!!
I was always so thin,never bloated!!
even when I got my period!!My breasts have
been huge,swollen and tender for 5 years now!!
I ve tried everthing!!!Think a breast reduction
and lift is on my list now
Hope you find some relief!!
Good Luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register