about this hernia thing........ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

about this hernia thing........ about this hernia thing........

Unread 05-15-2003, 12:58 PM
about this hernia thing........

Hey girls,
Esther brought up hernia's the other day and I saw that a few of you have them also. So what is the deal with them? Have you had them fixed or are you just living with them?
I had been complaining to my gyn for a year about the bump, but didn't have much pain, so didn't think anything about it. Then it started hurting, so asked onc/gyn about it, he told me it was a hernia and to get it fixed right away and sent me back to my gyn to make arrangements for the surgery. Rad doc told me to wait till radiation was over and then worry about it.
It hasn't bothered me for several months and then I ticked it off the other day (long story involving cat, up a hill, in deep woods, up about 40 feet in a tree). Have been sitting here with a pillow since.
Is it okay to just play the Diva, not make it mad and get it fixed later? What did you girls do?
By the way, cat is okay.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Yes play the diva

Your cat story reminded me about the time that I had to get horse out of vine thicket. And after I got horse free I was super wore out (was on chemo and radiation at the time). But if the docs say wait til radiation is done I would wait, mainly to let your body heal before ticking it off again. I havent had a hernia, but I think waiting would be the best.

Best of luck and God Bless
Unread 05-15-2003, 03:46 PM
I agree with Jane.

I say play the diva and wait until after radiation to deal with it. I never had a hernia myself, but I think it's best to deal with one thing at a time. Too much will not allow your body to heal enough in my own humble opinion.

So take like easy, lay around and play the diva up to the mostest you are allowed.

Good luck....

's and ers to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2003, 04:14 PM

Hi Tammy and Jane,
Done with the radiation, I hope. Had the five internals and hoping not to have the externals. Go for 1st check up on the 22 with the rad doc. Not doing to bad except that my butt crack is still raw and have to plan to be around bathrooms most of the time. Oh, and still leaking. That has to end soon, right?
I remember the horse story! At least I wasn't in as bad as shape as you were at the time and hubby was doing most of the work. Ended up, the cat (my baby boy) was up the tree for 36 hours and some really nice tree guys came and got him down. Finally. The amazing part of it was that my husband found him in the first place. It was so far back in the woods, hubby just was following his instincts. Really love that guy.
Unread 05-15-2003, 06:06 PM

These hernia questions are starting to make me wonder....

Have all of you that seem to be feeling these bumps, thinking that they are a hernia, had a hysterectomy already????

I had a bump like that, right at my bellybutton, months before my surgery. I called my trusted gynocologist and he said that it did not sound gynocological and that if it bothers me go see my regular doc. Said it sounded like a bellybutton hernia.

Well to make a looooog story short... It did not bother me so i let it go. Welll.....about 3 months later my stomach started to blow up and guess what......hysterectomy for ovarian cancer. My trusted gyno was soooo off base. My regular doc was the one that found the problem. Needless to say, my trusted gyno is now long gone!!!

I guess what I am trying to say is,,,,check out all bumps and lumps. Be smart and healthy!!

Rosalie
Unread 05-15-2003, 07:18 PM

s Pam

My bump is to the right side of my belly botton. It is right in an area that was the slowest to heal on my incision. I first noticed it last May. It has grown progressively larger this past year. I think it first popped out when I was coughing with a cold.
Now my stomach is actually lopsided and I'll look great in a bathing suit. LOL
It has never caused me pain.
My CAT scans show that my intestine is actually coming through a large opening. So it will not strangulate. However, until you know for certain what is going on, the risk of a strangulating hernia does exist. This would be a medical emergencey.
So many hernia repairs end in failure. If and when I decide to get it repaired, I will search for a surgeon who specializes in their repair. ANd I advise you to do the same when the time comes.
It is so hard to go back and have elective surgery.

karenann
Unread 05-16-2003, 03:26 AM

Hi all,

My "hernia" turned out not to be. Doc said it is not attached to anything underneath, and is something to do with the stitches healing. He said they ran out of thread and had to tie a knot (lol)
It doesn't hurt unless I lie on it and put too much pressure, but he assured me that even then it wouldn't damage anything.

Esther

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register