Saw Pain Dr today, NOW I am scared.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Saw Pain Dr today, NOW I am scared.. Saw Pain Dr today, NOW I am scared..

Unread 05-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Saw Pain Dr today, NOW I am scared..

Well, I went to the Pain management Dr this afternoon and I thought this was going to be a relief for me to finally get my back pain under control and now I am REALLY scared!!

He told me I did need the epidural steroid injections, (which I knew already) but I guess hearing him say it and making an appt for it really freaked me out! I am scheduled for June 9th and again July 7th and will be making a third appt if I need it.

He said he was going to put a catheter through my tailbone into my back and I was going to be AWAKE for this. After the catheter comes the actual injections under x-ray. I want to hear details from anyone that has had it, SUSAN.W HELP!!

He also gave me a script for Neurontin and is keeping me on the same pain meds (which only work for 3 hours). I asked for something different, or something to help with the breakthrough pain and he would not give me anything! I did not want to sound like a addict so I just sucked it up and am going to have to deal with it! And they wonder why some people become dependant on pain meds.. If they gave you something to help control the pain in the first place we would not feel like we needed more to control it!! Right now I feel like I am broken in half after all of the bending he made me do.

I should not be complaining, the treatment could not be near as bad as the pain itself is! CAN IT? I am just sick of pain and knowing that this may or may not work is the worst part.

Thanks for everything sisters!! HUG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2003, 04:05 PM

Hi Pam

I don't think you'll have a problem with this treatment. What is it for, anyway? I haven't been around much lately. Getting an epidural (I've had two) is not difficiult. I felt pressure but no pain during the procedure. Once the needle is in they thread the catheter in and you don't feel that part. You get a local anesthetic in the first place so it's really not a big deal. Unless what they do afterwards is very different than the infusion of medication you get with a regular epidural, you won't have a problem, I'm sure.

I've had steroid injections for pain. Is this what you are having? Steroids for the pain? How long did he say you could expect that to be effective?

Thinking of you,
Unread 05-15-2003, 06:48 PM

Pam,
I don't have experience with the epidural injections for pain, but I did have an epidural with the birth of my twins and it was not bad at all. So like Joselle said it is probably similar and once the first numbing shot is given the rest is pretty easy. My mom is having the same thing done on June 6th so I will be with her when she goes. I will give you a full description when we get home.
As far as pain management goes. Have you asked for oxycontin? It is the same medicine as you take already only it is long acting which sounds like exactly what you need. I can't believe (I can believe, I just don't understand why) your pain mangement doctor wouldn't put you on this. Seeing as how oxycodone is not intended for long term pain relief. Or even the duragesic patch might be an option for you since you don't work. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and once the 24 hour mark hit it did provide adequate relief at the 50mg dosage but I felt so drugged that I just knew I should not be driving or working. I am sure that diminishes after your body adjusts to it. I know what you mean about becoming tolerant to your medicine. I am becoming very tolerant to my Lortab, which is why we switched to the patch, but I couldn't funciton on the patch. I think my pain was just at a point that it wouldn't have mattered what I was on at that point. Which is why I was hospitalized and ended up in surgery. I feel alot better now. I am hoping that once I recover from this surgery (any idea how long that might be?) I will be pain free. It is a nice thought anyway. If this pain doctor is not willing to work with you it might be time to switch. I know that is easier said than done, but I hate to see people suffer. I swear I think I have found my new career. I think I should go into pain management. Believe me I will be looking into it and in the mean time my patients will not be in pain if I can help it.

Okay, I'm done ranting now.

's
Pamela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2003, 08:45 PM

Thanks ladies!!

I have had an epidural with my DD and I pray it is somewhat the same sort of pain. He DID tell me that it hurts worse before it gets better.

Joselle,
I am having the injections for DDD and 2 herniated discs. They are for the pain. Where did you have injections? I had cortisone injections in the arch of my right foot for plantar fasciitis, I wonder if it is the same thing. All I know is it brought tears to my eyes and never really helped. He said that it will more than likely take 2 to 3 injections (1 every month for 2 to 3 months) to work, if it even works at all. I hope you are feeling OK and have not been on lately because your out on the beach in the sun with a Pina Colada and the sound of waves crashing all around you!. Well, it sounded nice!! Maybe is I say it 100 times it will feel real..lol Thanks sweetie

Pamela,
Your hired!! You can be my pain Dr! I have been on oxycontin before but I dont remember if it worked. I am sure it did since it is the same thing just longer acting. I will ask my PCM when I go next time, NO I will call her! I am sick of waiting! I can not use that patch because I am alergic to the adhesive of every patch I have ever tried and plus, they dont ever stay on long enough because I am so hairy. What is your mom having the injections for? YES, please let me know the details. I am with you on the recovery pain thing! I am still cramping and I pray that it is somewhat related to my back or healing and not the pain he referred to having to live with. I hope you feel better soon!

HUGS sisters!
Unread 05-15-2003, 09:14 PM

Hi Pam,
My mom is getting the epidural injections for the same things you are she was just diagnosed with DDD and herniated discs. She has alot of the same struggles as you do (which is probably why I relate alot to your posts). She is on oxycodone 5mg three tabs per day. Can you believe that. But for now they are helping her pain so that is what counts. She was taking two a day but asked our PCP (we see the same one) if taking three per day would be too much, Gotta love her, he said of course not. So she gets 90 per month now. I have told her about the oxycontin and the patch and when she builds a tolerance to her current meds she is going to try one or the other. My mom has had alot of the same problems we have after her hyst. She had adhesions and a hernia at one time too I think. It is so sad to me now because at the time I just couldn't relate to her constant problems. I was there for her all the way, but in the back of my mind I always wondered if it was all in her head. Well the joke is on me now isn't it. Now I personally know exactly what she went through and thank goodness she is now a great source of support and comfort for me as she knows what I am dealing with. So now with her current problems with her back I don't doubt her word at all and am her biggest advocate. I think that is why I tend to keep my problems inside alot. I don't want anyone thinking that about me. I don't want to be known as a constant whiner or complainer. So I just trudge along day after day and keep it inside. I let it out every now and then but no one really knows how bad it is. I think this last week is the first time I just couldn't hold it in. So I saw my doctor 4 times and the urgent care center once in a weeks time. That never happens to me. I was that desperate for relief which never came. It took my doctor putting me in the hospital for me to get the help I needed. I still don't complain to my family (except maybe my mom). I guess I never will. As I said before they all depend on me for the support. I just come here and read everyone's posts and get the answers and help I need in dealing with the constant pain.
Well I have rambled on long enough. I will definately let you know how my moms injections go so you will know what to expect.

's
Pamela
Unread 05-15-2003, 09:25 PM

Thanks again Pamela,

Wow, it is so weird writing my own name...lol

Please tell your mom she will be in my prayers! I am so glad that her pain is controlled with her meds. Mine WAS at first and now I think it is more nerve pain because my WHOLE backside down to my little tow hurts and never goes away, even with the meds. And I am taking 2 pills 4x's a day, I get 240 per month and I think that could be cut in half with another medication. I will be talking to my PCM tomorrow about that issue!

Thanks again and I will pray that these injections work for your mom. I also will pray that you see the sunny days soon too!!

Hugs!!
Unread 05-16-2003, 12:29 AM

((((((Pam))))))

I heard you calling my name
The steroid injections in your back - dont sweat it. I had it done & they gave me some kind of sedative that basically knocked me out. So I dont remember a thing
But I did have a procedure done, cant remember the name, but it was for getting x-rays & then a CT scan of my discs in my back. Oh - it was a Myelogram. Anyhow - they put the tube in my back & all for that & it was no big deal - didnt hurt or anything.
About your PM Dr. - I have been to 3 different ones & they all seem to be the same. They tend to be a bit leery at first - I think they want to make sure you arent a "drug seeker". It is so prevalent & its too bad it has to affect the people who are in real pain. It will take a couple of visits - you have to develop a trust. He will most likely come around soon & give you what you need. If he doesnt after a couple of visits then I would get a different Dr. About the oxycontin - seems there are a lot of PM Drs. who will not prescribe it. I have found 2 Drs. so far who wont prescribe it. I take methadone & its great - its long lasting & doesnt give me side effects. Plus, you dont develop a tolerance to it quickly like a lot of the other meds.
Good luck - I sure hope you start feeling better soon & everything works out for you

Susan
Unread 05-16-2003, 06:34 AM

Susan to the rescue!!!!

I was waiting for ya! I knew you had this done and wanted to post it in case someone else has had it as well so that is why I did not pm you....

He told me that he gives something through the IV to relax you but it would not knock you out. He said I need to be awake enough to jump if he hits a nerve. :cry: THAT is a thought I want in my head right now!! He just made it sound painful. Geeze, a pain Doc making things sound painful!

I also noticed your dosage of Neurontin is 1200mg. He only put me on 300mg 3X's a day, that is a quarter of your dose. Did you start out low and work up? Also what are the side effects of that med? Lord knows I dont need any more side effects! ALso, your Methadone, is that in the morphine class? I am just really frusterated that he would not give me something longer acting! My PCM is usually very accomindating with helping me control my pain so I will have to see if she is willing and able to help. Sad, but I have to do something!!

Thanks for coming to my rescue Susan!!
I hope you are haing a semi-pain free day.
Unread 05-16-2003, 07:46 AM
PAM..GOD LOVE YA

PAM, I USUALLY JUST TALK ABOUT HYSTER THINGS ON MY POSTS AND NOTHING ELSE..BUT BELIEVE OR NOT I HAVE MASSIVE PROBLEMS WITH MY NECK AND BACK. YOU ARE NOT ALONE THERE EITHER HONEY. I DONT TAKE ANY PAIN MEDS FOR THE PAIN. I HAVE REACTIONS AS YOU WELL KNOW. CHEMICAL SENSITIVE TO EVERYTING. I WAS IN 2 CAR ACCIDENTS AND HAD A NECK SURGERY THAT FAILED. I HAVE BIG METAL GAGES IN MY NECK.YOU CANT SEE THEM OF COURSE FROM THE OUT SIDE OF ME BECAUSE THEY ARE INSIDE OF MY NECK. BUT THE DR SCREWED UP AND PUT GAGES INSTEAD OF A SMALL PLATE LIKE MOST NECK SURGERY PATIENTS HAVE. I CANT MOVE MY NECK WITH OUT EXPERIENCING HORRIFIC PAIN.I AM STUCK LIKE THIS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.(I HAD THE SURGERY TO BEGIN WITH FOR NECK PAIN).I HAVE HAD 2 DISCS REMOVED IN MY L4 & L5 OF MY BACK AND THEN 2 CAR ACCIDENTS ON TOP OF ALL OF THIS(NEITHER ACCIDENT WAS MY FAULT). I HAVE SEVERE NERVE DAMAGE THROUGH OUT MY WHOLE BODY PLUS THE CHRONIC BLADDER PAIN. I DONT TAKE ONE PAIN PILL FOR ANYTHING. I USED TO BUT SINCE MY HYSTER I CANT.SOMEHTING HAPPENED TO ME WHERE MY BODY GETS ALL THE SIDE AFFECTS.I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH MEDS IN MY LIFE. I AM IN PAIN 24-7 WITH MY NECK AND BACK. SOMETIMES ITS SO BLINDING (THE PAIN) THAT I CRY.BUT AT LEAST YOU ARE ABLE TO GET SOME RELIEF. GOD LOVE YA. IT IMPAIRS YOUR LIFE DOESNT IT? YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW I HAVE THESE ADDED THINGS TO MY HEALTH. I TRY ACT LIKE I AM FINE MOST OF THE TIME. AND I JUST DEAL WITH IT ALL.I ONLY TAKE BUFFERN FOR PAIN. I HOPE YOU FIND RELIEF OF ALL YOUR PAIN SOON HONEY. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR INJECTIONS...ANGEL
Unread 05-16-2003, 12:13 PM

Hi again Pam

Oh yeah, I'm at the beach. Well, actually, I'll be at a hotel with a hot tub this weekend. I'm taking my swim suit. Does that count?

Actually, I've been very busy trying to take care of myself and you know how it goes, something else crops up. My new pain this week is due to the root canal I had on Tuesday on an emergency basis. But at least I'm pretty sure that pain will go away!

I just started taking Neurontin, too. 900mg/day taken in three spaced doses is the minimim dose for therapeutic effect. As you can see, it can be increased quite a bit. The main side effects are 'unsteady on your feet' and a little fuzzy in the head. I feel that way all the time and it hasn't made it any worse. Some people report being affected at very low doses. I'm happy to say I'm not, but the bad news is I haven't really noticed much difference in the pain, either. I figure this weekend away will be a good test and I'll have something to report to him when I see him next week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register