What would you Do 6 weeks and Counting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What would you Do 6 weeks and Counting What would you Do 6 weeks and Counting

Unread 05-15-2003, 06:59 PM
What would you Do 6 weeks and Counting

I am having a tvh/bso on July 1 or 2- waiting for confirmation from Doc

I've read alot of info regarding supplements to take if you want to not use hormones after surgery.

I am not sure if I want to try to use the hormones or try to go as natural as possible.

I have family history of breast cancer and have read the study on htr and breast cancer and I am more conformtable with that info now.

Is there a concern if I have high blood pressure? Also my mom is 81 and has had 2 strokes. She and my dad both have heart conditions -- Dad is 92. So with this family health history, is there a concern with me taking hrt (other than the breast cancer study)

For those of you who have had your hyst/bso are there any supplements you wished you could have taken 6 weeks pre-op that would have helped the transistion to surgical menopause.

As I said I am not sure what direction I want to take with the whole hormone dilema but I'd like to move to the other side without a horrendous experience.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2003, 04:55 PM

I have just found this site and I wished that I had before I had my surgery but it has been a big help in the post-op and now this site. I cannot take hrt due to breast cancer but I have to take 1500 mg. of calcium daily. I read in a vitamin pamphlet that if you are in menopause (which I was going to be shortly-the surgery was 1/27/2003) that you should not take 100% iron. So, you will have to check that out if you take vitamin supplements. I was taking vitamin E for quite a few years and my doctor told me NOT to take it, didn't explain too much why but said too much of it is not good but I did some research on it and found that it thins the blood and had several nose bleeds that no one could figure out where it was coming from but haven't had any since not taking the vitamin E anymore. I also take procardia for high blood pressure. I had no problem during surgery and had minimal blood loss. My blood count was low and just finished over 3 months of taking iron supplements prescribed by the doctor. The shock of my system in going into menopause is rough some days, but I get through it. I do have hot flashes but do not last long and my clothes do not get soaked. Hope this helps you.
Unread 05-18-2003, 05:52 PM
I was on remifemin before tah/bso

Hello

I had a tah/bso on 4/3 and am on natural hrt from a compound pharmacy which my dr sent me to. It is bio identical harmones. However, before my surgery I had been having the hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, etc. I had been on remifemin for about a year and it did help quite a bit. I still had regular periods but still had a lot of menopause symptoms. (perimenopause) Remifemin is over the counter and is the black kohosh. I hope everything goes well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2003, 01:23 PM

Hi,
I had my SAH, BSO on May 6, 2003. I told my doctor I wanted to try NOT to use HRT. He said that was fine. He said that HRT can be started at anytime if I decided I needed it. I am 5 weeks post op as of yesterday, and so far so good. I have a few mild hot flashes during the day and some at night. So far, nothing too bad to handle....I just kick the covers off! Anyway, my moods are fine and I feel wonderful. The doctor told me to take calcium and when he clears me for exercise he wants to me to start weight bearing exercises to strengthen my muscles and bones.
Since HRT can be started at anytime, I would suggest that you try it without. If you have problems, you can always tell your doctor that you have changed your mind. It seems like women who start the HRT immediately have a harder time stopping them if they change their minds.

I wish all Hystersisters a perfect healing and recovery!
Take care of yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register