A Really Um...Yucky Question for my IBS Sisters... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Really Um...Yucky Question for my IBS Sisters... A Really Um...Yucky Question for my IBS Sisters...

Unread 05-16-2003, 07:17 AM
A Really Um...Yucky Question for my IBS Sisters...

and S to my sisters on the road!

I have had IBS for a few years now. Since I've started in pain management...I am definitely in the "I can't go" phase - and I believe this is due in part to my medications.

With my dr's approval I have cut my Neurontin dose in half, as I'm not sure it is helping me as much as I would like (and I have been going to the bathroom a lot easier). I dunno...I may end up dumping this med all together...tapering off of course.

Now for the IBS part....The past few days, I have been having some trouble when I try to have a bm...to the point that it feels like water coming out (almost like I am passing urine instead). I haven't had this happen to me before, and thought that I would check in with my sisters. Have any of you experienced this before? Ater the water comes out...a couple of times I have had a very tiny BM and that is it?! The watery stuff is pretty much clear. It's not the same as having the runs...I just can't explain it very well I guess Sorry about the topic....& thanks for always being there.

xo Jude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2003, 07:43 AM

Hi,
No problem with the yucky question! I'm a former nurse and also IBS sufferer, though no problems for a long time (lots of Metamucil and bran!). Sounds like you have what's called an impaction...like there is some stool blocking and all that can get through is water. You should definitely check with your doctor but also might try a glycerin suppository from the drugstore. These helped me a lot after my last c-section when I was really stopped up. Ask the doc first, though. And do try the Metamucil daily! It works wonders.
Unread 05-16-2003, 08:43 AM

((((Jude))))) As a fellow IBS sufferer, I know how yucky the issues can get

I haven't had that particular problem, but my nephew has, many a times. In his case, it was always caused by impaction and he did need medical attention. So... sounds like another trip to the 's office is in order Hopefully, it's getting a bit easier to see a doctor in your area, with some of the SARS measures being lifed.

Sending lots of hugs your way... I know you need them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2003, 10:49 AM

Many thanks to ((Dany)) & ((kungfugal))

Just my luck...on a Friday before a long weekend (up here it is the Victoria Day Weekend). I have tried to reach my doc...and I hope he calls back.

How will I know if the impaction has cleared? Can they on there own? I guess if I have a normal bm, then that should mean everything is fine right? Is this something to worry about?

Sorry about all of the questions...But I've never had this happen before, and I'm a little concerned. Thanks sisters...
Unread 05-16-2003, 11:20 AM

{{{Judy}}}
I've not had that happen, my IBS symptoms are now mainly just mushy stools, hardly ever solid anymore. Or I just can't go. If your doctor doesn't call back, is there a clinic or somewhere you could call for some advice???

I'm sending big s We miss you sweetie I'm sorry that you're having these symptoms now. It just never ends for us does it?
Unread 05-16-2003, 11:57 AM

I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you how serious this is. However, I have solved similar symptoms myself by taking tap water enemas that I retain as long as I can to let the water work it's way up far enough to move things asround. The time limit is often just a few minutes! Sometimes the water seems to just get absorbed. I use a 50ml syringe and sometimes a douche bag with the rectal tip. However, I do not find the douche bag as effective as retaining the tap water. I also use Vaseline as a lubricant as it does not wash off in the water!! I use at least 150ml of water.

Good luck. It's always unnerving to have a problem on at the start of a weekend, especially a long one!
Unread 05-16-2003, 01:42 PM

((((Jude))))) I hate when this happens: doctors either going away before the long week-end or being soooo busy, they can't return our calls.

I'm not a doctor but I know that, where my nephew was concerned, it didn't clear up on it's on and having a regular BM didn't necessarily mean that it was cleared. I really think that the best thing to do is to see a doctor.

Unless you are very, very uncomfortable or are having pains or feeling ill (guess you get the picture, ) I don't think that a little delay will make that much of a difference. Of course, if you can see a doctor before the week-end, that's all for the best, since delaying could end up making the matter worse.

Hope you feel better soon. Sending tons and tons of s your way.
Unread 05-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Many many hugs

Dear Judester,
I'm so sorry you're dealing with IBS and the watery strange thing with your bowels. I do hope your doctor can help you and if it does get worse please do go to the ER right away. I haven't been on the boards as much lately since going back to work - 10 weeks now post-op from the bladder sling surgery, and I'm so exhausted. I also deal with the IBS issue. I've had some nasy trouble with my bowels since this latest surgery, boy oh boy the surgeries try to fix one thing and aggravate another that's for sure. One thing, isn't neurontin an anti-depressant and I'm thinking it can add to bowel troubles? Maybe getting off that really did a number on you. My primary doctor had me trying Paxil, which I took for about 3 months, for pain and IBS, and it mainly aggravated my bowels, constipation or the runs, and kept me up all night. I took myself off of it and it seemed then the IBS was flaring in all different ways, still with constipation and the runs. It finally settled down about 2 weeks ago. I think Paxil made it worse, not better, but it did help with depression some, but not enough for those side effects. Of course the surgery didn't help things at all in that area either. I'm now battling a yeast infection, which I haven't had in 3 years since my hyst, and my gyn says it's from all the antibiotics I took since the surgery. I'm taking pro-biotics now, acidophilus, and my bowels are doing better. Have you tried pro-biotics? I didn't notice immediate results, but now it seems I am a little better, at least bowels are better, but yeast is not. I've taken Diflucan 3 times and in between two rounds of Monistat! Can we ever find total healing????? I sure hope you get a break soon. You are a long-time sister and a strong and wonderful woman who offers care and love to everyone here. Let me know how you are doing. You are in my prayers.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 05-17-2003, 05:57 AM
Hi Jude

Hi Jude,sorry to hear about your problems. How are you feeling now? Iam having sort of the same problem as you. I to suffer from IBS. I thought it was flaring up as I have bad pains in my side and back. I can go but it is little balls with the water and it looks like little pieces of skin with it. I went to my Dr. Tuesday and he is sending me for a barium enema on Monday. I am really not looking forward to that as I have heard some horrible stories. I hope that you were able to get some help. Let me know how you are making out.Lots of Kathy
Unread 05-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Sorry about your problem

Hi!

I used to have serious IBS. After I found that I had a lactose intolerance and was put on antidepressants for depression, I have had no more problems. Some antidepressants and antianxiey meds work better than others. I was on the older tricyclics then. You might ask about these two things. I have also found (for me) that a high dose of Vitamin C keeps me regular, bran cereal with soy milk, too.

As for the possible blockage, I hope you get that checked out really soon. You may want to try these other suggestions later.

Linda

LAVH 3-19-03, IBS, depression, etc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register