"atypical glandular cells" pap and f/u...questions... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"atypical glandular cells" pap and f/u...questions... "atypical glandular cells" pap and f/u...questions...

Unread 05-16-2003, 07:36 AM
"atypical glandular cells" pap and f/u...questions...

Hi ladies,

I just found this site, sent here by a friend from another board! It seems wonderfully supportive!

Not sure where else to go so I am asking a question here while I await test results. "Atypical glandular cells" were found on my latest pap and I just went in yesterday for a culposcopy, endocervical curettage, and endometrial biopsy. The NP told me that the chances are 20% or less that this is cancer but I'm pretty nervous (I have infertility and have never given birth, have stage 3 endo, am in my early 40s, etc). The NP also said that if it is cancer, hysterectomy would be part of the treatment.

I would like to hear if anyone has had this result of a pap test and what happened afterwards. I will have my results back by the end of next week but, until then, I will be a basketcase.

Many hugs/good health wishes to you all,
pravacoast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2003, 12:25 PM

Oh, pravacoast I've been there! It is rotten and worrisome and *painful*. (I felt like I had been abducted by aliens after the endometrial biopsy.) And I was a basketcase, too!

My abnormal pap story ends up good. No pathology whatsoever. None.

Results of the biopsy were negative, but my Dr ordered a vag sonogram just to be very sure. Surprise! They found a large dermoid cyst on my one remaining ovary that needed to come out. (No wonder I was having vague and worrisome symptoms...)

So then I'm just focused on getting the cyst out, go to see the gyn and SHE suggests a total hysterectomy if the ovary has to go. Partly to avoid a second surgery if follow ups from the abnormal pap aren't good.

Freakout time!! That is when I came here, for help making the decision. Because everything I read indicated that there was a fair chance (maybe 20%?) that I'd "fail" followups and have to have conization, or hyst or other nasties I just said yes to the hyst. I wasn't going to risk having to take off work again after having to be off for the cyst anyway.

But I want to emphasize that ALL reports came back NO pathology.

So although the Drs are much more concerned about AGUS than ASCUS, and they'll run you through the mill checking, it doesn't mean anything is going on for certain. And even if something is found, they can often take care of it without hysterectomy.

Take good care and try to distract yourself while waiting. The uncertainty is really the pits but chances are you'll be fine.

Feel free to PM (private message) me sweetie.
Unread 05-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Hi Anna...

I sent you a PM but I wanted to thank you for responding...it is very scary and lonely just waiting for the results and I wish I could just fast-forward to Thursday.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and for your support!
Hugs,
pravacoast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2003, 11:15 AM

I did a search on this board for "atypical glandular cells" and came up with a few threads. Hopefully some of them will give you some information.

Click Here

Unread 05-17-2003, 10:05 PM

Hi Pravacoast!

If you linger on this site very long you will often hear that the waiting is the hardest part! Hang in there. I very much hope that your reports are negative for cancer, and there's an excellent chance that that will be the case.

I've had quite a few abnormal paps (not to boast or anything ), and I've had two cone biopsies, which may be the next step for you if they find more atypical cells. This does not mean you have cancer, it's just a way to get a larger sample to make sure that all of the atypical cells are gone and to make absolutely sure that there are no cancerous cells to be found. This is often the next step prior to a hysterectomy, unless you'd need one for another reason. In my case, I did have cancer, but again the number of women who are diagnosed with atypia but are free from cancer is really quite large.

Anyway, just wanted to give you some support and let you know I'm thinking of you! Very best of luck for a clean report, and please let us know how it goes!

Beth
Unread 05-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Thanks, girls...

EM: thanks for the links...I haven't looked at them all yet but did check out a few and it was very helpful. This waiting is so hard...I am obsessed with finding out more info, just in case.

Beth: thanks for sharing your experience...I don't know much about cone biopsies so I'll have to check that out, too. I should get my results on Thurs/Fri (while I'm away on vacation) but I will let you know what the scoop is when I return.

Thanks to both of you for being so caring and supportive...it really helps (as I'm sure you already know).

Continued good health to you!
Hugs,
pravacoast
Unread 05-18-2003, 09:11 AM

Hi, Pravacoast,
I have also not been diagonosed with cancer after having a bad pap, the colpo/biop, and then a LEEP procedure. But I was given two choices - now, this is due to the severity of the abnormalties they found in me - either doing the cone biopsy or a TVH. I did choose the TVH. A lot depends on "where you are" in your life. I have two children, no future plans for children, and I don't want to continually go back for procedure after procedure if the cone does not get all the abnormal cells. My dr stated that without the TVH, there is no way to guarantee that I will not wake up with cancer. I do not want to take a chance like that. More than likely you will be given options whether or not it's cancer. Obviously you need to weigh them carefully - the loss of fertility, the fact that you are having other problems as well, what grade the atypical cells are, etc... I would think about them now. I had three hours from the time my dr told me he wanted me in the office to discuss a possible hyst and go over my test results, to the time I went in, and in that time I went from shaking and freaking out to really being aware of what I wanted long term.
Take care!! This is not easy, please let us know what happens!!
Unread 05-19-2003, 09:12 PM

My November 2000 PAP came back with atypical glandular cells of undetermined significance (AGUS). My doc did a colpo/biopsy that came back normal. This made me extremely nervous, and my doc consulted with a gyn/onc who suggested a LEEP. The LEEP found carcinoma-in-situ (squamous cell), but no more glandular cells issues. It didn't all add up quite right, so we ended up doing a TAH (for a list of reasons, not only because of the inconsistent lab findings).

Hopefully your results will be back soon. The waiting is horrible, isn't it?

Unread 05-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks Beth and Jeanine...

Beth: I'm sorry for what you've been through (all you gals on this board just amaze me!) but glad you have your two kiddos! I'm trying not to think about my results being positive but, if they are, I'll definitely have some decisions to make. My family is complete (via adoption, one dd) so giving up my uterus would not be as traumatic as it could've been but there are other parts I'd like to keep and will check into that if the need arises!

Jeanine: You know, although I've heard of LEEP, I don't know what it is! I'll have to go research after I write this! I'm glad you saw the gyn/onc...I hate to think about inconsistent results or false negatives or tests that give a negative result but don't really show the whole picture. My friend's dh is a gyn/onc and, although I wouldn't feel comfortable w/him working on me if it comes to that, I would like his opinion on test results and recommendations. So much to worry about in the next few days! Wish I could just tear off a couple of extra calendar pages!

Thanks to you both for sharing your thoughts/experiences. I should be back soon to post my results.

pravacoast
...and for all you INDY 500 fans...
Unread 05-20-2003, 05:56 AM

Here's a link to follow for info on the LEEP:

LEEP procedure

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register