Update on me...:( - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update on me...:( Update on me...:(

Unread 06-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Update on me...:(

(((Sheri))) I'm glad you got your troubles fixed and are 'back with us'. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate this week, I hope you will find a few spare moments just for *you*

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2003, 06:05 AM
Hey Sher....

Honey, call me anytime you need me. I'm always here for you! If you lost my numbers, just email me at this site and I'll get it. I'll email you my #'s again.

You've been on my mind, I should've known something was up.

I did GREAT a few weeks out from my last surgery, then had a flare.

I say this with great hesitation. You know me. You know how hard it is for me to say this. But, if you have RSD, my advice to you is: take medical leave/permanent disability if at all possible.

I know what I'm talking about here.

I've always had that "Nothing will stop ME!" attitude, and yet this will stop you cold in your tracks. I have a cousin who developed RSD due to a repeated fracture to her leg (long story).

I look at her. I look at me. She's on permanent disability. I'm not. She fairs far better than I most days.

What do the doctors tell you when you have a flare? REST!

Well, that's mighty hard to do when you have kids, a husband (or not - is probably worse), and a full time job.

what makes RSD and Post HN worse? Stress.

The best advice I can give you is listen to your body and circumstances. For your own mind's sake, don't look at this as a burden or a curse. And, yes, I can say this because I know the pain of it all:

Try to see it as a blessing in disguise. This will free you from the treadmill lives we all lead to an extent. Will it limit your freedom? Of course. No one on disability in the US is getting rich. My cousin is one of them. But she at least has the ability to lie down when the pain grips her. And I'm here to tell ya, there's a point where pain creeps up on you, takes you over, and you just plain can't fake it anymore. You can't plant that smile on your face. You can't fake having a cold when tears well up in your eyes because it hurts so bad. And there will be a point in the flares that medication will not help. Rest and total mobilization of the affected tissue is the only thing that will until the flare passes.

I'm so sorry Sheri. Just know this is not a death sentence. There ARE treatments. But, this will be a full time job to manage. And it proved too much for even me. Angie the Amazon is no more. But Angie the pacer - the long distance endurance racer...is.

This is YOUR decision. But by comparison, my cousin fares much better wtih this disease than I do. Yes, her income is limited. But, lets face it...now so is mine. Hanging on to a job is the best I can do. I no longer excel....

That's tough to take.

You have to pick your fights with these types of diseases. Pick them well my friend. Remember, there are many battles (flares, challenges with income/family/friends/future/present, etc) but if you pick them well, you'll win the war (stay alive and have some kind of life).

Luv ya kiddo. I owe you so much. Please call. I'll be glad to swing by one afternoon on my way home to talk to you.

PS - My cousin had the nerve block (permanent) - they clipped some nerves from her spine. It saved her from having an amputation.

I know of a GREAT RSD doctor in FLA who gives good advice on the web - I'll post it here:

<Admin. Note: Dr. link removed per website TOS>

Please read them all....VERY interesting stuff when you and your docs can't seem to understand this thing. It's not the gospel because this is an emerging disease - little known - more common now than it once was (or should I say more commonly diagnosed) but still rare. so, not alot of doctors even know what it is.

PSS - altogether in 2 months time I lost 45 lbs. once. You'll make it throught his hun. But your body is screaming at you to make some changes. Consider them carefully.
Unread 06-03-2003, 07:29 AM

Dear Sweet ((((((((Sheri))))))))

I am so sorry you are going through so much my friend In case you don't remember....I am on LTD. I left a job that I loved - which is pretty rare in itself. I have made my health my #1 priority...I still miss my job/co-workers to no end. If I was still there I'd be celebrating my 16th anniversary (which is a long time considering I am 36 yrs old)...working my way up the ladder etc. Winning International Awards for Production work...I loved the fast paced atmosphere - I thrived on it...

It was/is such a hard decision to make. The toughest part for me was the family/friends always asking me when I was going back to work. I swear that they just wanted me to go back so they could say that they knew me (I was working in TV & Radio). The people up at my Mum's cottage used to treat me like a celebrity...now they try not to make eye contact. Well...they do ask how I am etc., But I am definitely treated differently. But you know what? I don't care anymore. I've had to stop caring what other people think of me...Because they will never understand what it's like....

If you ever want to chat about this please feel free to e-mail me anytime. I have gone through a lot with my Insurance Company...emotionally etc. Over this decision...So if I can be of help please know I'm here for you.

I can tell you that there is no way that I could physically go back to work. I would be fired in a N.Y. minute. I do feel better knowing that I can have a nap anytime I need to...that I can make dr's appointments at any time during the day - without juggling them around my work schedule. If feels good to be my priority for a change...and not working split shifts/afternoon hours...or having to go in at the drop of a hat to cover someone else's shift. The worst was the 'calling in sick'...and having to come up with reasons why I wasn't at work because I knew my boss would not understand about the pelvic pain etc. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself...And in fact; it was the only thing that I could have done.

Hi ((((Anj)))) The same goes for you too my friend...it's good to 'see' you on the boards again...xoxo

Sorry I've gone on so long about this...((((((((Hugs))))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2003, 05:30 PM

Awwwww Sheri! 's!!! I came down with my 3rd case of shingles one month after my last laparascopy, and one week prior to my hysterectomy. Needless to say, I felt aweful! I hope you are feeling better soon. Don't forget to pamper yourself!
Unread 06-04-2003, 06:13 AM

Quote:
take medical leave/permanent disability if at all possible.
(((Angie & Judy)))
Big (((hugs))) my Dear, Sweet Sisters...thank you As of 5/12/03 I am on STD, which lasts until 8/10/03, then my(((Dear PCP))) will extend it into LTD ( all of which is available & paid by my Company's Ins plan )....thank goodness

It's been about 3 weeks now since I started my leave & the difference in my over-all health! With such a big reduction in my Stress levels has made a HUGE impact. I was burning the candles at both ends, might've been able to save myself this latest DX had I focused on my Health sooner. That is hindsight tho & hopefully things will continue to improve. Thanks again to each of you for aleays being here for me thru the good & the bad...it means soo very much..
Unread 06-04-2003, 08:48 AM

(((((Sheri)))))

I wanted to let you know that I will praying for you during this difficult time. You have done so much for so many others. I appreciate all the encouragement you have given me (and so many others). Kep us posted on how you are doing.

s
Unread 06-04-2003, 09:07 AM

((( Sheri ))), I'm sorry it took me so long to get here and give you the S that you need and deserve so much!
I wish that I could make all your problems go away for you. You are such a wonderful and special lady. You are always there for all of us.
I'll be praying for you and asking for everything to be better quickly.
s
Unread 06-04-2003, 10:07 AM

((((((((((((((((SHERI)))))))))))))))

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Renee
Unread 06-05-2003, 12:59 PM

Dear Sheri,

I am so sorry to hear about this diagnosis and your discomfort. My father had shingles and I remember how painful it was for him. Fortunately, it did go away completely. I hope you will be able to get beyond this too!

best wishes,
Clare

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register