Anyone have experience with Depakot | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have experience with Depakot Anyone have experience with Depakot

Unread 05-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Anyone have experience with Depakot

friends,
I was wondering if anyone has some experience with taking Depakote for headaches. My neurologist has presribed Depakote and Espic Plus for my headaches.

I've put off taking it because initially I had been to the ER for some congestion in my lungs and was on steroids and anti botics and didn't want to take too many meds. Now I'm feeling better from that but my problems are flaring and with all my allergic reactions I'm really afraid to try this new med. I know I need to give it a shot as these headaches are really getting bad. They're not migraines but just throbbing aches. I've been taking Excedrin quicktabs but I think they're making my tummy problems worse.

I'm just so afraid to try this new med but I can't take these headaches much longer. Nor can I take this tender tummy. I'm soooo upset because I was doing soooo much better since I got laid off from my job and have been able to relax. Now I feel like I've taken 10 steps backwards again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2003, 12:23 PM

(((Kim))), I'm sorry that you feel as if you are headed backwards. Unfortunately, I can relate to that feeling.

About the meds....is it Esgic Plus? I have taken that in the past for tension headaches and had fairly good results with it. It does contain a barbituate though which is something you should know.... sometimes there are contraindications with other meds. As far as the Depakote goes, I have no experience with it so can't be of any help there. I'm sure someone will come along shortly that can offer you some insight.

Good luck and let us know if it works! s!
Unread 05-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Hugs

Hi Kim,
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I have not taken Depakote myself, but have two clients (I'm a social worker)who have taken it. It is a mood stabilizer and also given to prevent seizures. My one client started to gain A LOT of weight while on it and the doctor took her off of it. It also made her very tired all of the time. She had been on it for about 5 months, so that was long enough to tell if it was going to help her. She was diagnosed as bi-polar. I know a lot of times anti-depressants and mood stabilizers are given also for pain. My doctor had me trying Paxil for IBS symptoms and it only made it worse so I took myself off of it. I do help you can find some relief. I'm not trying to scare you about this med, but just wanted to let you know what I know about it. Ask the doctor why he feels this type of drug will help you. I don't know anything about the other drug, but maybe someone else does. I understand how you feel. This has been a long, hard road for some of us. You are in my prayers. Let me know who you are doing.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2003, 01:14 PM

Thanks vbjacks and Druid

I just checked and the one med is Esgic Plus. I guess I've really got nothing to lose by trying these meds. Things really can't get much worse. My tummy is so swollen today, I look like I'm about to give birth. The tenderness has increased tenfold also.

I need to also call my dentist on Monday and see about getting my fillings replaced. My Osteo doc thinks that perhaps high levels of mercury in my body may be contributing to my problems.

I also go for a brain MRI tomorrow. I'm sure that will be normal. As always there's never an explanation for what ails me.

Thanks again for the input my friends. I really appreciate it.
Unread 05-18-2003, 07:44 PM
headache troubles

Hi Pam,

Your problems sound very familiar. I also have allergies and headaches. I take antidepressants because of unipolar depression and dysthymia. I took lithium and Depakote once to adjunct my antidepressant. Lithium makes one shake and Depakote did not do anything for me. Not sure why a dr. would want to use that for headaches.

My interest was caught when you mentioned allergies and your fillings. I, too, have wanted to have my fillings replaced because the mercury can add to mood disorder. Allergies can, too. Allergies can cause major headaches. Had you had allergy shots in the past? If not, that might help. Some vitamin/mineral products can help allergies, thus help headaches.

As for having your teeth worked on...the dentist doing the work must be VERY careful and know exactly what he/she is doing. I have a physican assistant friend who thought about this and could not afford to have it done, plus the dentist did not know a lot about what he was doing. I guess you can get worse if the mercury is not removed from your body correctly.

My suggestions is to target the allergies instead of the headaches. I'm trying to do that myself. Getting any king of non-addictive pain killers are hard. Do you go to a chriopractor? That can greatly reduce headaches, too.

I hope you feel better soon. Much luck!

Linda

LAHV 3-19-03. Depression/allergies/headaches since the beginning of time.
Unread 05-19-2003, 06:48 AM

Oh Kim

My dear sister!! I am so sorry that you are having bad headaches. I get migraines so I can relate to headaches OH TOO WELL.. Even though yours are not the same as mine, I am sure they interfere with your daily life..

I have never been given the meds you were perscribed so I cant help you there, but I just wanted to send you a HUGE and let you know I am thinking of you! I would at least give the meds a shot just to see if they will work for you. Does the label say to take on an empty stomach? If not I would definetly try to take them with food, that always helped me when first starting a new med and since you have so many stomach problems eat your normal foods that agree with you. You should not have to suffer sweetie! You will never knoe until you try them and who knows, they may work wonders and not mess with your stomach at all.....

I can relate to the TOO MANY MEDS thing. If I have to take anymore I will :hair: I even have my OWN basket in the kitchen cabinet and it is full!!

Please let us know if you decide to try it and if it works for you. You are ALWAYS here for me and just remember I am here for you too!!!

Unread 05-19-2003, 08:09 AM

Hi one very important fact with depakote, make sure you dont take aspirin with it. My dh was prescribed depokote and I asked the pharmacist if he could take it with his meds, the one happen to be aspirin and they said no. It can cause a toxicity if taken with aspirin. Just some headsup. angie
Unread 05-19-2003, 09:45 AM

Thanks friends

I'm going to give the meds a try, I won't know if I don't try. My poor tummy can't get much worse. I've broken out in a rash on my tummy now also. It is clearing up a bit but I don't know what might've caused it as I've not changed soaps or anything.

I called the dentist this morning and am waiting to hear back. This dentist is a holistic dentist and seemed to be very informed about the mercury. My Osteo doc referred me to this dentist so I'm hoping that this will work out.

I guess that's all I can do these days. I do alot of wishing and hoping and ing.
Unread 05-19-2003, 05:03 PM

Hello Kim

Sorry you're having problems. My daugher took depakote for seizures she had weight gain and very tired. Also my sister in law took depakote for chemical imbalance or maniac depression and she gained weight. I have had a lot of headaches in my life too. Nothing helped, go to bed with them and get up with them. I don't know why but I had gall bladder surgery in oct and they have gotten extremely better, can't believe it. My gallbladder was covered with adhesions and had a lot of stones but only had 1 attack. Don't know if this had anything to do with the headaches but glad I don't still have them. Good luck, hope you get better soon.
Unread 05-19-2003, 11:48 PM

((((((Kim))))))

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with those awful headaches
I DO take Depakote - I've been on it almost 2 yrs. now & let me tell you - at least for me - it HAS worked !!! I used to get migraines, & I mean real killer ones too, 3-4x a week - & now they are down to 1-2 a month. Once in awhile I'll have a bad month & have maybe 3 or 4. But thats a drastic improvement !!
My neurologist explained to me that it is an anti-seizure med, but that Drs. have found that it works well as a migraine preventive drug. It PREVENTS them - it doesnt do anything for a headache once you have the headache.
As far as the weight gain goes - heck, I've been consistently gaining weight for the last 7 yrs. so I really dont think the Depakote has anything to do with it.
As you know, all meds work different for different people. You ought to at least give it a shot for awhile. It takes a little while to build up in your system so dont expect it to work immediatly. My Neuro also has me get a blood test every 6 mo. or so to make sure the level has not become toxic to my liver (just something they have to keep an eye on - nothing to worry about).
I just wanted you to know that it has done absolute WONDERS for me. And I have tried going off of it several times and each time my migraines come back full force & I start taking the Depakote again.
So give it a try & let me know how it works out - I hope you are feeling better again soon !

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register