Spotting after 6 months post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spotting after 6 months post op Spotting after 6 months post op

Unread 05-18-2003, 08:08 AM
Spotting after 6 months post op

Anybody have a similar experience???

Yesterday, Saturday, day off, no kids home, laundry on the line...

My husband and I had a little spontaneous afternoon delight...

I went to the bathroom after, discovered a significant amount of bloody discharge from the vaginal area upon wiping. It lasted about an hour and was enough to stain a pair of panties. Slight lower back pain through the night. This morning I am fine, no spotting, no pain.

Of course me being totally empty, TVH/BSO Nov 4, 2002, I did not have any pads on hand.

Anyone else have this happen so long after surgery? What could it be? Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2003, 10:53 AM

Hi marketwoman It could be a couple of things, but I'd get it checked out with your DR to be sure.

One possibility is granulation tissue. Sometimes a while post op, there will still be some unhealed tissue in there, and as you get farther post op you might be pushing the penetration a little more than earlier on and ... well ... anyway, granulation is usually treated with silver nitrate or cauterized in the office, and most times will go away after one treatment.

Another possibility is that you've got some vaginal dryness there and the bleeding could be from tiny scrapes in the vaginal walls. How's your HRT doing? Do you have adequate lubrication during penetration? If this is a concern, you might want to take a look at this link:

vaginal dryness?

I hope this helps... do give your DR a call, and let us know what you find out, OK?
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-18-2003, 02:23 PM

((marketwoman)),
Linda gave you some excellent info There have been many ((Sisters)) experiencing this & it was mostly due to Granulation which can be taken care of mostly in your Drs office, but pls call your Dr & inform him/her of your symptoms. Here is some more info on this problem:

What to Expect after Hysterectomy: Minor & major complications-symptoms of both:

Is vaginal bleeding after a hysterectomy common and how long should it last?

Quote:
Normal post operative bleeding lasts from several days to several weeks after surgery. After the first couple of days the bleeding turns into spotting, usually dark red but sometimes bright red. Then in most instances, the bleeding stops for good. Sometimes there may be a burst of bleeding at about 2-3 weeks if there was a collection of blood clot in the pelvis from right after the surgery. And occasionally at about 2 - 8 weeks after surgery, there may be some bright red vaginal spotting due to suture dissolving. The timing depends upon the type of suture used and how fast it dissolves. This may be spontaneous bright red spotting (it is rarely ever heavy) or it may happen after intercourse or physical activity.

That is the normal course of usual postoperative vaginal bleeding. Sometimes, however, bleeding can occur at other times or even much later (up to years).

Causes include:
granulation tissue (healing tissue growing on its own)
prolapse of a faloppian tube (1)
endometriosis of the end of the vagina (2)
atrophic vaginitis due to low estrogen levels and traumatic irritation
a cancerous growth at end of the vagina (3)

In the situation you describe of bleeding at 4.5 months, you will need to have a vaginal speculum exam to look at the end of the vagina. Most likely you have some granulation tissue at the end of the vagina. On appearance it would look like a dark red, beefy friable polypoid growth at the end of the vagina. It bleeds easily with touching. The treatment is to biopsy it away and use vaginal sulfa or other antibiotic cream. There usually are no pain fibers at all. If it hurts at all during biopsy, it may represent a prolapsed tube if only a hysterectomy was performed without removing the tubes and ovaries. A prolapsed tube more often causes pain rather than bleeding and it may need to be removed under anesthesia rather than in the office.

This bleeding may not be a serious problem but be sure to see your doctor.

Remember that most women will say it takes up to 6 months after surgery before they do not think on a daily basis about having had surgery.
http://www.wdxcyber.com/nbleed13.htm
Good Luck..pls keep us posted
(((hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2003, 06:29 AM

Hi Marketwoman!!

I just wanted to let you know I had the same experience around the same time as you and it really freaked me out too....

I went to the Gyn and it was as Linda said, granulation and I had the silver nitrate treatment for it. It only happened that one time and the silver nitrate did the trick.

I would say if it happens again or you start cramping or REALLY bleeding alot to get back to the Dr. ASAP!! You might want to go just in case, maybe he can nip it in the bud so to speak. Better to be safe than sorry!! Please let us know what he says if you decide to go in...

Unread 05-21-2003, 04:54 PM

I too recently had some spotting after sex. I called my Dr. and the nurse asked me if I wanted to make an appointment. I told her I guess I would wait and see if it happens again. I am getting married this weekend and was afraid anything they might do would interfere with the honeymoon. A little spotting I can handle, not so sure about not getting any after getting married. I hope my soon to be hubby won't hold back now since he knows about this. Hoping for smooth sailing in California this weekend.
Unread 08-02-2003, 06:11 AM

Hey, I forgot that I didn't post after the incident. It turned out to be granulation tissue, 2 little polyp like things were removed and biopsied. All's well.
Unread 08-02-2003, 12:11 PM

That's great news!

Thanks for letting us know.
s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register