Need suggestions before visit to doctor-having bad time! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need suggestions before visit to doctor-having bad time! Need suggestions before visit to doctor-having bad time!

Unread 05-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Need suggestions before visit to doctor-having bad time!

I posted yesterday about whether my Vivelle dot prescription. I think I may need other hormones too. I think my doctor will be open to everything.

I am having headaches, weight gain, depression, etc. I am 37 and had a TAH/BSO in January 2003. I have PCOS and am probably just having a rough time adjusting to the hormone changes. With PCOS, I already have hormone problems anyhow.

Any suggestions for what hormone levels to test and what to suggest? I have read some about progesterone, and I think I have the symptoms of "lack of" on the information pull down list.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Need suggestions before visit to doctor-having bad time!

Hey Kristine

I just read your post and know how you feel. I had a tah/bso on 4/3. I wore the climara patch for 1 week. Had sore breasts, hot flashes and depression. My doctor changed me to estratest hs. Had headaches, nausea, face breaking out, crying, urge for sex, etc. I took the estratest for 3 weeks and decided to call the doctor. She then put me on estradiol 2 mg. I went for a check up a week later, still crying, nausea, headaches, not sleeping well at all, etc. I had a thyroid test and she sent me to a compound pharmacy where they customize a harmone for you it is bio identical harmones (natural). My thyroid test results were within the normal range but at the very end of low. At the compound pharmacy I received a low mg of estrogen and a 100 mg of progestorone. I have only taken these for 4 days and they told me that the dosage may have to be adjusted but they would start me at a low dose. Last night I slept better but still fanning from the hot flashes. Just thought I'd let you know what's going on with me hope it helps you some. This harmone thing is ROUGH. I have not had any harmone test they have just been going by symptoms I guess. Good luck hope it all gets better soon.
Unread 05-18-2003, 07:47 PM
symptoms

Hi Kristine,

I'm sorry you are having probs with your HRT. I just had my surgery on 4/25 and having been doing very well, inc. my HRT (Estraderm patch .05 changing to Esclim .05 at insurance request). I also have PCO's and so when I go for my 4-week post op appt on Friday, my doc will be checking all my hormone levels to see if I'm where I should be (I'm sure I am b/c having no symptoms at all). I believe there are a standard battery of tests they do - FSH, estrogen, poss progesterone (b/c of PCO's I've never had natural progesterone and don't take it now - I was on it for the year prior to surgery and it was terrible for me - I gained a ton of weight, lost all interest in sex), etc. However, b/c of hair growth b/c of PCO's, I also take Spironalactone now - it decreases the amount of androgens I have (and I have ALOT :-( )

Some people seem to take progesterone post op and do well on it, so not trying to discourage :-) It's probably best to discuss with your doc your symptoms and what tests he/she should be doing...your dosage must not be right or I'm sure you'd feel better
(note: at first I got headaches from estrogen, lasted a short time only). I hope your doc is able to provide some answers and you begin to feel better!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register