REALLY Embarassing bowel question. BEWARE! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

REALLY Embarassing bowel question. BEWARE! REALLY Embarassing bowel question. BEWARE!

Unread 05-19-2003, 07:57 PM
REALLY Embarassing bowel question. BEWARE!

I want to apologize to all of my dear sisters BEFORE I explain my problem. It is not a pretty picture!!!!!

I have always had soft stools but tonight I have some serious diarrhea and I did not even see it coming.. I felt like I had gas, but nothing severe. I went to the bathroom prepared to just pass and it was awful. I had a BM, I did not think anything of it except that I had heartburn earlier after eating some vanilla icecream and was belching it up afterwards. Mind you I could not finish it because I was getting sick to my stomach.

HERE IS THE GROSE PART!!! I have never seen anything like it in my life!! First it was green, and had pieces of orange pulp from the OJ I drank this afternoon floating. YES, I had to examine it. It was like I had thrown up instead of having a BM!! I am soooooo sorry that I was so forward with that one ladies..... I now am having the right sided pain below my rib cage pretty badly.

I was wondering if you can develop Lactose Intolerance all of the sudden (within the past month or so) I may be grasping at straws here and I am definetly going to experiment and log what I eat that is dairy to see if there is a pattern somewhere.

Again, I apologise for being so blunt, I warned you it was grose....

I am so glad that I can ask questions like this here, Lord knows I would NEVER ask anyone else!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2003, 08:14 PM

Hi Pam,
I am like you too in that I just cannot tolerate some dairy products anymore. I used to love cheese pizza and in the last few months have found that I just can't eat it, or I suffer greatly. I swear sometimes it's more like an explosion that an BM LOL. And the cramping...oh man. As much as I love my cheese, it's just something I have to eat now in very limited portions. Best of luck to you Pam.
Unread 05-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Ain't your mid-30's GRAND?

Hey Pam!

You're not alone...

I have to laugh at myself now...my sister has been telling me for a couple of years now: Just wait until you reach your mid-30's...you'll know what I mean when you get there!

Seems like everything likes to fall apart even at our "young age!"
Mine was my prolapsed uterus!

I haven't had lactose intolerance but have several friends (all the same age give or take 2 years) who developed this problem in their mid-30's...Try taking Lactaid? I don't think it can hurt, and it might just help a lot!

GOOD LUCK!

MARIANNE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2003, 12:10 AM

Pam:

I don't know if you've had a history of gall bladder problems or not, but having bile in the stool may point your doctors to something else going on (that's the explanation for the green color).

If it happens again, embarrassing though it is, time to call the doc and check it out...this can be a sign that the gall bladder is acting up, especially with the pain that you describe and the history of a high-fat snack...

Sorry, I know you're already at the "what now ??? stage, but it should be investigated if it persists...

Audrey
Unread 05-20-2003, 09:40 AM

Thanks ladies...

It is an embarassing thing to even talk about but I had to bring it up.....

Audrey, How would they check my gallbladder other than a HIDA scan? I thought that was the only gallbladder test. Thanks for the info, I would never had linked it to my gallbladder.

Who knows, I ate yogurt and drank a glass of milk just to see what would happen this morning and I was fine. I guess the lactose thing is blown out the window...

Thanks again!!
Unread 05-20-2003, 09:57 AM

Well, Pam, I don't know whether a HIDA scan would detect if there was bile duct trouble further "up the line" so to speak. And a HIDA scan could not "see" whether there were adhesions around the gall bladder.

Someone just wrote a post around here somewhere (I saw this last night and thought of you) where she said that the GB studies had been "normal" -- but in fact, there was trouble with the gall bladder and she had surgery to remove it after all (I think it was vbjack??).

It may also be that lactose is still a problem, since yogurt isn't prone to causing lactose intolerance problems. The milk, OTOH, should have triggered it!

But it's the green color (bile-colored) of the stool that concerns me...stool shouldn't be green...and that points to some sort of bile problem, particularly in light of the ice cream (high-fat). I know you're reluctant to call for yet another problem, but if that experience is repeated, please do!

Audrey
Unread 05-20-2003, 11:38 AM

Pam,
I developed my lactose intolerance after I had a reaction to some anti botics for a very bad kidney infection. Before that I had a cast iron stomach. Actually, since that time I've never been totally healthy! It's kind of been downhill from there.

I did have a period where I would find my food in the stool, chunks of stuff, and than stuff that looked like pieces of tissues. Gross, gross, gross! For me, there's never been an explanation.

With all you have going on, I think any new symptoms warrants a call to one of your s

Unread 05-20-2003, 04:41 PM

Thanks Audrey..

I am going to talk to my Dr about it even if it does not happen again! I have been OK today, except for feeling bloated with EVERYTHING I eat. I might try the icecream again just to see. I know that sounds crazy, but it out of sheer curiosity. I have been taking gasx and it has not helped, maybe I will try something else. I just hate to take anymore meds at this point. I did read the post about her gallbladder being infected and not showing up on the tests. I pray that the new surgeon does not rely strictly on tests!! Thanks again, you are a sweet heart!!

Kim M,

I feel so bad for you having all of these problems and having to go through all of those tests and STILL coming up empty handed. It is hard enough to have to deal with it all, but then having no answers makes it worse! You are always in my prayers sweetie!! I am loggin everything I eat and my BM's as of yesterday to see if I can find a link somewhere. Thanks for all of your help and I hope that one day SOON they find the cause to all of your discomfort!!!
Unread 05-31-2003, 11:08 PM

I agree that your gallbladder could be the problem. An ultrasound looks for stones, sludge, dilation of the ducts and other structural problems with the gallbladder and liver. A Hida scan is a nuclear medicine test to check how the gallbladder functions. Whether it fiulls and empties, whether it doesn't show up (indication a problem with the duct) etc. A CT would also show gallstones and would be the most likely exam to show adhesions.
I also had gallbladder problems. Explosive BM's after eating certain fattening foods, burping up grease etc. All of my blood work and xrays showed up negative (as in no abnormalities). Luckily my surgeon's point of view was " if it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck its a duck". I have heard of other doctors nixing the idea of the gallbladder being the culprit if the tests are normal. The surgeon took my gallbladder out and it was enlarged with the duct that empties it being much smaller then normal. It was also chronically infected. My upper abdomen had been hard for 2-3 years. I didn't think much of it. Now its normally squishy. Go figure!
Being in the medical field I knew that with gallbladder problems I could choose to ingnore it or do something about it. I ignored it until it became more of a problem. However, I have had loads of patients show up in the ER with a major gallbladder attack. It affects everyone differently.
The main purpose of your gallbladder is to store the bile that your liver makes until you need it (like after a fattening meal). Problems with your gallbladder can affect your liver and vice versa. Please chack with your dr if this continues to be a problem. I would hate for you to have more issues underway.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register