Possible Heart problems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible Heart problems? Possible Heart problems?

Unread 05-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Possible Heart problems?

Hello ladies I back and worried to death. My doctor dx me a couple years ago with mild mitral valve regurgitation and told me not toworry. Now I went back today to get a check up and he put me on a heart monitor and told me he heard a click sound in my heart. I am very concern about this and also worried. Has anyone every experience this? I having another echo in 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Possible Heart problems?

((((((Jazi))))))

Its good to hear from you, although I wish it were under better circumstances of course
I have not had any heart problems other than a irregular heartbeat, which is kept under controll with BP meds. I am sure someone will be along soon who has some experience with this type of thing.
I will be praying that everything works out good for you. Now heres a back to the top for you

's

Susan
Unread 05-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Possible Heart problems?

Jazi:

Sounds like mitral valve prolapse to me! The combination of the history of mild valve leakage (that's the regurgitation you spoke of), the "click" (really just a sound that the heart is making, like a murmur) and ?arrhythmias (have you been feeling palpitations lately?) all together are a classic description of mitral valve prolapse.

The mitral valve is on the main side (the left) of the heart between the left atrium and the main pumping chamber of the heart (the ventricle). In prolapse, it sags backwards some, and in some cases can allow some blood to leak backward into the atrium. There are degrees of this; for some, it's never more than a bit of insufficiency and the valve tissue doesn't change with time.

In some people, the valve tissue does sag, allowing more blood to leak backward (this is happening to my DH, who seems to have some sort of familial problem with connective tissues that he's passed on to his son). Since this can progress, we tend to track our patients every few years or annually, depending upon the level of leaking and any symptoms.

MVP really shouldn't be a problem for you, if you follow some rather simple precautions. First of all, when you have dental work (even cleaning) or any "invasive" procedures (like cystoscopy) you should take antibiotics beforehand. The American Heart Association has printed cards that explain the regimen, and all you have to do is call the doctor prior to the appointment to get antibiotics for the procedure planned. The reason behind this is that bacteria are released into the bloodstream during these procedures...normally not a problem, but if there is an irregular valve surface, the bacteria can lodge there and grow...not pretty!

Occasionally, if there are problems with arrhythmia, or the insufficiency appears to be increasing, we may put a patient on a type of medication that helps take the load of the leakage off the heart so the muscle doesn't get damaged. This also has the beneficial side effect of diminishing any palpitations usually!

For most people, this has very little impact on their lives, other than the simple antibiotic precautions. One caveat: this is a different entity altogether from coronary artery disease, which is what causes "heart attacks" -- so all the heart-healthy things you would ordinarily do you still should, like watching your cholesterol, taking a baby aspirin a day (something most doctors recommend for us "post-menopausal" types), and exercising.

Jazi, I hope this helps. Also, if your echo was a few years ago, the technology has improved, and our echo information is better and better! And it's possible, if you weren't diagnosed with an echo before, that your "click" may turn out to be nothing. It can also be a sign that one of the other valves only has two leaflets rather than three, but that's less common, especially in women...and the echo will tell you, finally, for certain.

Best of luck, and let us know what the echo shows, OK? I don't get on-site all the time, so if you want to PM me for more information, go right ahead.

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2003, 03:23 AM
Possible Heart problems?

Audrey thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I will keep you all posted.

Susan thanks also seems like I am always on that road for something or another.
Unread 05-24-2003, 07:00 AM
Possible Heart problems?

hi
i went to gp this week and the thinks i may have MVP and is sending me for an echo.i just found out my grandmother had this and ended up with CHF.i did a little search and found out that MVP is herreditery i hope the CHF is not..im a little scared. i hope everything goes well for you take care lisa
Unread 05-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Update

Sorry I didn't get back ladies, I had my echo and the doctor saw nothing on the echo. Which confuses me because in 2000 another echo showed a trace of mitral valve regurg and now this echo show nothing wrong with my heart. The dr said that my heart was perfect. Can MVR correct itself?

I also heart that MVP is heredity also.
Unread 05-24-2003, 07:37 AM
Possible Heart problems?

Hi,
Audrey was right on with her explanation. I had rheumatic fever as a child & have a mitral valve prolapse. I see a cardiologist on a regular basis to monitor it but other then the antibiotics before any invasive procedure I have no other orders. My echocardiogram sometimes shows minor leakage of my valves, nothing to be concerned about at this time. Did they inject dye during your echo? If I don't have the dye my echo shows nothing out of the ordinary. I do sometimes have caffeine sensitivity & stress will bring on anxiety attacks. I have had cardiac clearance for all of my major surgeries but they are aware of my history. Preop takes a little longer because of the anitbiotics they put in intravenously so always make sure the anesth. person knows your history.

Good Luck be heart smart!
Terry
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Possible Heart problems?

Jazi:

Echo is very operator-dependent, but if nothing was found this time, yes, it's very possible that your MVP isn't of the degenerative type (which Terry's may be, thanks to her history of rheumatic fever) and has "disappeared".

For some of us, it can take some maneuvers (such as bearing down, called the "Valsalva maneuver) to bring out ANY type of prolapse or insufficiency. The "dye" that Terry refers to enhances insufficiency -- if any is there -- but if there is so little that it takes the dye to bring it out, we now call that "physiologic" insufficiency and consider that to be within normal limits unless you have a history like hers.

That "click" that your doctor heard, Jazi, may be normal -- for you -- and not to worry! Unless you've got the sort of history that Terry has, most doctors would recommend that no precautions be necessary. With antibiotic resistance on the rise, why take them if you dont have to???

MVP can be hereditary if it is secondary to some sort of connective tissue problem; for example, my DH has it WITH insufficiency and his son has some heart abnormalities that are related.

Sounds like good news to me!!!

Audrey
Unread 05-25-2003, 02:50 PM
thank you

Thank you so much Audrey. I feel so much better. As usual I always receive great support for hystersister.
Unread 05-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Valve Regurgitation

Hi Jazitones,

I too have mitral valve regurgitation from rheumatic fever as an adult -- mine apparently worsened a bit last year. This is something I think it is pretty important to keep a handle on and keep up with your echos if they are recommended annually.

As far as the antibiotic therapy before dental and surgical proceedures -- I know this is controversial and causes other troubles (I always get a yeast infection every time I get my teeth cleaned) -- but I have had what was suspected to be endocarditis (inflammation of the heart, prevented by the antibiotic therapy) twice now and it is pretty awful (painful and physically very limiting) and frightening. I would take the antibiotics as a precaution if they are recommended and you are at any risk at all.

Take care, I hope all turns out well with your heart!
Loretta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register