Possible Heart problems? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible Heart problems? Possible Heart problems?

Unread 05-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Question for lreichixinet

How did your MVR start out as? Was it mild or advanced? How is that one echo could show a trace of MVR and another echo a couple years later show nothing? I go to see my cardio next week and I will ask him more question. I know he is going to get sick me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Possible Heart problems?

My experience went something like this: I never had any problems, developed the symptoms of rheumatic fever (including severe chest pain and horrible weakness along with chorea and severe joint pain), and had an echo which demonstrated trace regurgitation in 3 of my valves. 4 years later, my mitral valve regurgitation had progressed to, I believe, moderate. Between these echos, I had another recurrance of what was probably the awful endocarditis, severe joint pain and chorea. I am due for this year's echocardiogram pretty soon. I am worried too -- I have had alot of chest pain.

I think Audrey was right -- the echo results must really depend on the person doing the ultrasound. I know someone else who had trace mitral valve regurgitation disappear inbetween echos also. I guess this is sort of an argument for having the echos done in the same place on the same equipment, maybe by the same person?

I wish you so much luck with this. I think I would rather have mine be disappearing than getting worse! It is worrisome, though, is it not? Please let me know how it turns out for you.

With love,
Loretta
Unread 05-27-2003, 06:17 PM
Possible Heart problems?

Trace valvular insufficiency is really normal for all of us. Loretta, it sounds to me like what you're dealing with is the connective tissue of the valve isn't as sturdy, thanks to the possible infections, as it should be, so-called "degenerative MVP". This is what my DH has as well, and his insufficiency is a bit more than would be expected from a normal man his age (54). And for you, yes, absolutely antibiotics are necessary, especially if your symptoms are from rheumatic fever as an adult !

An echo can change from day to day, but anything abnormal would NOT return to "normal" even if a different sonographer did a study on a different machine. The odds are, Jazi, that you've not got significant insufficiency...and if your doctor does not recommend antibiotics, I would NOT take them based on an old echo when you have a new, normal study.

Our technology gets better all the time, and so I'd bet that you can relax, Jazi, and accept that "normal" echo, thus hopefully laying the fear to rest!.

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 06:44 AM
Possible Heart problems?

Hi, I just wanted to pop in and let you know my mom had MVP and took meds every morning for it. I remember her taking them and asked when I was a teen what they were for. She never had any problems and also she did just as Audrey said, took antibiotics right before any dental procedure.

I hope your is the same sort of senario and you dont have anything more serious.

Please keep us posted on your next echo.. I will keep you in my prayers!!

Unread 06-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Mitral valve prolapse

I have had diagnosed MVP and MVP syndrome for over 25 years and I'm still going strong. I have mild regurgitation also, so I have to take antibiotics. I see my cardiologist every 2-3 years. MVP does seem to be hereditary - all my siblings and many of my aunts and uncles have it. When it was first diagnosed, I had many more symptoms than I do now. Seems that now it will happen in waves - I may go several years with minimal symptoms, and then I'll have several months where I have palpitations all day long. I have been taking a beta blocker for 25 years and it does seem to help. Also, I've read recently that some beta blockers can minimize hot flashes! The one thing that I can recommend from ALL of my reading (and I have read every book and hundreds of medical articles on MVP/S) is to ensure that you drink plenty of water. For some reason most people with MVP don't experience thirst, so you have to force yourself to drink. The fluid helps to hydrate your body, which makes it easier for your heart to pump. As far as dying from MVP, there have been cases of death, but that is very rare. Usually they classify MVP as possibly life-altering rather than life-threatening. But it's hard to believe that in the middle of a panic attack, isn't it?

HAag in there - and if you want to talk, send me a message.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register