A Little Off Topic Here...But I Need Your Help With Eczema | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Little Off Topic Here...But I Need Your Help With Eczema A Little Off Topic Here...But I Need Your Help With Eczema

Unread 05-21-2003, 10:19 AM
A Little Off Topic Here...But I Need Your Help With Eczema

Sisters,

I want to ask all of you that suffer with eczema...what has worked for you.

Please excuse any typo's...but my hands are what is mainly affected. The palms are covered in blisters that are very painful as well as burning/itchy.

I have used the typical ointments prescribed by my dr but they are not working. Any ideas?

It seems that it has become much worse since my hyst. It started about 5 years ago...never had a problem with eczema before that. I used to only suffer outbreaks when the weather was hot. This year though, it started up in the winter and hasn't let up. My GP said not to get the affected areas wet or in contact with soap. Excuse me, but a girl has to take a shower! I've tried every kind of glove...but they seem to only make more blisters.

I have also developed red patches on both shins. They look different then the eczema. I am waiting to see a Dermatologist for all of this...but it has been months since I got the referral...and still no appointment. Combine this with the on going pelvic/joint/bladder/bowel - pain, and I'm ready to dig a ditch and jump in. It seems that everything is wrong with me. There isn't one inch of my body that isn't sick at the moment. I'm sorry if I sound like a wimp...and I know that there are many sisters here dealing with so much...my heart goes out to all of you. I guess I just needed to whine a bit.

Thanks for listening...and I look forward to hearing from any sisters that can share their success stories regarding eczema.

S to all of you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2003, 11:35 AM

Hi (((Jude))) I am itching just reading your post! Did you ever see this old thread about a bunch of us who had eczema in our ears?:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=71160

In my own case, I have not had the problem come back since upping my estrogen and adding testosterone, but back when I was using lots less estrogen, adding progesterone cream helped. Supposedly it works by sensitizing the estrogen receptors so you get more 'bang' for your 'buck' estrogen wise.

I hope this helps, you sound so uncomfortable
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-21-2003, 01:29 PM

Poor (((Jude)))! I'm sorry you are so uncomfortable! I don't have any advice for you as I've never dealt with this myself. Just wanted to send you big s and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get in to see the dermatologist soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2003, 01:44 PM
eczema

Hi,
I've heard that oatmeal baths can help for both the rash and itching.

I've suffered from eczema too, though always very localized and only one place at a time (ankle, then shin, then toes). I have had hydrocortisone creams, which helped, but I know my mother in law soaked my b.il in oatmeal baths when he was a child and it seemed to help.
good luck! I know how maddening the itching can be. I can't imagine how painful it must be to have it on your hands.
Unread 05-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Eczema

Same here, Judester. I was born in December. I am quite certain the following winter I had eczema. It always showed up with the first cooler dry air of fall and would disappear in the spring with warmer air temps and some humidity. It was the cold dry air that did it for me.

I believe my first memory in life was lying cross-wise in my crib under a sunlamp fastened to crib bars. (I asked my mother, but she couldn't remember.) Other than those early sunlamp treatments and very occasional visits to dermatologists for whatever ointments, I just lived with it. In my very early years, I had it on my wrist bones, inside of my arms, behind my knees. But most of my life it was simply on my hands -- palms, side of hands (along little finger), and knuckles. At times it could be bad -- tiny blisters, scaly, cracks, itch, sort of burn, etc., etc. I am 56. I HAD it every winter (cold season) of my life until about eight years ago. Winter came -- no eczema!! Nothing since. My skin is dry, but it is NOT eczema. I just grew out of it!

I hope you are able to find relief from it.

Mary D.
Unread 05-21-2003, 04:35 PM

Hey

I have a grandson that has eczema. I tried everything on him when he was a baby even crisco. Just about everything made him worse. He had a terrible case of it on his face, around his eyes, all over. I came across some hand cream that was real thick and used that on him. In about 4 days he was completely well (looked well anyway). Now I buy this stuff about 10 tubes at a time. It is Avon Moisture Therapy hand creme for extremely dry skin. It has to be the hand cream (it's in a tube 4.2 oz) we tried the body lotion and it doesn't work it's not nearly as thick as the hand cream. It is sort of hard to spread, when I put it on it is a good idea to be damp. If skin is to dry I just put some water in my hand, not too much though. I'm serious this stuff does wonders. Most of the time I pay about $2 a tube. I get it when it is on sale and stock up. They took him to the doctor and the hand creme works much better than what they gave him. Please try it.
Unread 05-21-2003, 05:16 PM

Oh (((((Jude))))) You're not a whimp ((((sweetie)))) not with all you've gone through

I do not have any answers for you: my eczema is also much worse than it's ever been. Mine is on my eyebrows, my cheek and I now have a big patch under my watch Only the eyebrows one is disruptive: its sooooo itchy!! however, the one under my watch is the largest of the patches and really ugly. I know I should not wear my watch until it clears up (the watch keeps it damp, making it worse) but it sooo ugly!!! And with the warmer weather we're finally having, my arms tend to be bare.

My DS also has a bad flareup of eczema. His is on his right cheek and has been flaring for several months now. In his case, the hydrocortizone is helping... a bit... but enough to make it go away once and for all.

I'll try the oatmeal soaks... guess I could just put a dab on his/my cheek and my eyebrows.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow and, hopefully, she'll prescribe some HRT... it might help with several of the issues I'm currently having.

Wishing you the best of luck in dealing with this, and all your other problems, ((((Jude))))
Unread 05-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Aquaphor ointment

My dermatologist gave me some samples of this ointment. You can get it over the counter and it costs about $5.00 per tube. I have found it at Wal-Mart and the grocery store for the same price.
Also, my doctor gave me a prescription for cortisone cream. It is soothing, but the ointment works just as well.
Good luck. I have never had this on the palms of my hands.
Unread 05-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Another subject near and dear to my heart...

I grew up with a dad who had it all over his body for his entire life...still struggles with it.

My 7 yo DD has constant trouble with it, and I've dealt with it on and off over the years, with only minimal success. A side note, before I pass on what our newest dermatologist told us: eczema and endo are linked ...those with eczema and/or asthma (so-called "atopic" problems) are far more likely to have problems with endo as well!

Anyway, we took my DD to a new dermatologist, and this is what he said: he told us that eczema treatment has "four legs" and that all four modes must be in place to get control over it. The four things are:

1. No lotions...only pure, uncolored and unscented USP petrolatum. He said that lotion actually changes the Ph balance in the skin and pulls moisture out rather than putting it in. The petrolatum is surprisingly not greasy when used on the overly dry skin that goes along with atopic eczema. My DD is using it twice a day on legs and arms; I try to use it daily and we are already seeing a huge difference in the quality of skin.

2. Steroid cream on the affected spots under the petrolatum. A corollary to this is the fourth "leg": you only use it for three weeks...then you must go off a week and switch to one of the other new types of creams like tacrolimus (Protopic) or Elidel. You use the other type for a week, then resume the steroid cream. That way you don't build up a tolerance to it.

3. No liquid soap or cleansers...only a mild bar soap like Basis or Aveeno.

We also have found that cutting out strawberries and other citrus have helped...a real hardship, as my DD loves strawberries and they are a mainstay of her school lunches . He also said not to take baths, only showers, and to pat dry rather than rubbing. The other trick is to use the petrolatum while the skin is still damp.

We also give Benadryl at night to keep down scratching during sleep. This is the most under control my DD has been in three years! So it's working so far. However, it is a very slow process, and we've found that even missing one dose of the steroid cream (it's for twice a day) brings it all right back.

Jude, you may also have a superimposed fungal infection...I get those blisters too from all the hand-scrubbing I do in the process of patient care. I've found a cream that is a combination of steroid (triamcinolone) and nystatin works well for me with the itchy blistering. And Dany, with the watch: I put a disc of adhesive-backed moleskin (what you'd use for blisters) on the back of my watch, and it's worked well for me...and for the first time in his life, my dad is now able to wear a watch using that as a barrier. Cheap enough to try, anyway...

This is a very difficult thing to eradicate totally. Obviously you have to do the basic stuff, too, like double-rinsing clothing, using unscented products, trying to eliminate allergic triggers (like my DD's strawberries, poor kid). I also coat my hands about every other time when I wash (which is nearly 50 times a day...twice per patient, both before and after eating, and of course with every bathroom trip). I just keep a tube of the petrolatum in my pocket and use it. Advantage is that it's incredibly cheap (although I'm having some trouble finding it in the mass quantities that my family is using). Do make sure it's the "white" USP petrolatum. The yellow stuff has fragrance and color that can aggravate things.

It's the best I've seen my skin in a long time, I have to admit...and my DD's is improving too. As I said, though, vigilance is key -- one missed dose, and she's nearly back to where she started.

Hope this helps, and I'll be interested to hear other tips as well. There was an article in Medscape pediatrics on this issue just recently...and the recommendations were very similar to what this dermatologist laid out with us.

and keep that Benadryl handy!

Audrey
Unread 05-22-2003, 06:24 AM

Jude...

Please dont think of yourself as a wimp!! You are just as important as everyone here and even though it is not a surgical problem you have every right to vent about it!!

I have a friend that has a DS that has really bad eczema and has it in most of the placews you have and also has it behind his knees. She has tried everything on him and nothing worked untl a dermatologist prescribed Elidel cream and Protopic. She puts the Elidel (base coat) and then the Protopic over it. It has been the only thing that has worked on him.

I hope your Dermatologist can get you on something that works for you soon... Give yourself a break, you have been throught the ringer too!!!

Sending you a HUGE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register