osteoporosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-22-2003, 06:47 PM
osteoporosis

hi ladies........it has been quite a while since I have been here but now I have a problem and need some advice.
I had a bone density test about 2 mos after my hyster. It indicated osteopenia. Now, 3.5 years later, I had my follow-up and it showed osteoporosis in my lower spine.
I have been taking Calcuim and Vit D and exercising. Not taking any estrogen.
What kind of MD should i see? My first thought is an orthopaedic because I have spondylolisthesis and who would be more interested in my bones but a bone doc.
Any suggestions??? I am 45 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2003, 06:55 PM
osteoporosis

If it were me I would talk to my Family Physician and discuss the possibilities. But that's me. I keep my Family up to date on what's up with me so he can oversee my general care. We often discuss which other doctors might be right for me.
Unread 05-22-2003, 08:51 PM
osteoporosis

I have some experience with this due to the fact that both my mom-in-law and sister-in-law have osteoporosis. My mom-in-law is treated by her Rhuematologist and my sister-in-law by her GYN. In the town I live in their is an Osteoporosis Center with a doctor who specializes in diagnosing it and recommending treatment. When it was suspected in my case I was under the care of a GYN (It turned out my density was very good fortunately).

You should definately consider starting on something like Fosamax or the other bone building drug - Actonel I think. It has helped both of my relatives gain back bone. I do not believe it is possible to gain back bone without the help of a drug like that or ERT once you are in menopause. It is too bad the doctor who did the first test that detected the osteopenia didn't prescribe it at the time.

In the case of my husband's family Osteoporosis seems to be genetic. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with it at 38 and she had all her female hormones etc... (and had taken BCP). Her only risk factor was her family history. My mother-in-law didn't know she had it until it had progressed to the point where she suffered a compression fracture in her spine. By then her back was so bad she now has her whole lower back fused together with lots of metal.

I think Joselle's idea to talk with your family doctor is a good one. That doctor could start you on the Fosamax/Actonel and then refer you to whoever is necessary for your spine problem.

I wish you all the best with regaining your bone density. Keep up all the good exercise and weight bearing (if it's OK with the doctor - my mom-in-law can only walk and ride a bike because the doctor is afraid she could fracture something else if she is not really careful).

Sblumen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register