5-weeks post op pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5-weeks post op pain 5-weeks post op pain

Unread 05-23-2003, 07:47 AM
5-weeks post op pain

Hi...
I am 5 weeks post-op from TAH-BSO and I really truly feel worse today than I did say 5 days after my surgery. My abdomen is so very sore, actually hurts to touch it on both sides, still pretty swollen. And I am so tired. I feel like I've been run over by a huge truck by the end of the day! While I have been driving a little (just in town to pick up dd at school) and I have been walking (not more than a mile, per my dr) and I have been doing more around the house (but not vacuuming or scrubbing floors or lifting!) I just don't understand it. Could it be because I am more active now than I have been in 5 weeks and my muscles are hurting? It feels more like pulling in my stomach. Oh it is so sore.
And, it is very hard when everyone around me believes I should be feeling 100% normal by now since my surgery was "well over a month ago". I just really feel like crawling back to bed and sleeping all day! It almost seems like that is what my body is needing.
Anybody else feel this way? Is it normal? Can I go back to being the good princess I was right after my surgery?
Thanks so much for letting me ramble on!!!
Take care.
-Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2003, 09:06 AM
5-weeks post op pain

Hi Deb
YOU ARE NOT ALONE - i am four weeks post op from TAH and feeling the same way - few days ago - got the shooting pains and feeling more sore than a week ago. Dr said that the nerves are starting to "wake up" now and now feeling what was once numb. He was not concerned. I am also doing more - but doing anything from nothing would be more:-).

Example - other day walked leisurely around the neighbourhood for about 25 minutes (first long distance) , did a bit of dusting and cleaning countertops, general tiding up but not lifting anything of any weight, rested a bit then took a very short walk to mail box and that night - shooting pains and burning, hot skin in the ab area and around incision.

From what I have read - this is normal.....apparently time helps but one does worry when we will turn the next corner. Supposed to be back at work in two weeks and I do not even want to attempt driving yet - brain fog and too tired.

Any suggestions from other sisters?
lucie
Unread 05-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi! I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME!

....all the way around. I do think it's because you may be doing too much. Before my surgery, I used to scoff at the 6-8 week recovery recommendation.....but now I realize that we DO need that time.

I was feeling great at 4 weeks so started to do some of my "normal" household activities/errands, etc...but the last couple of days (I'm 5 weeks too!) at the end of the day I also feel like I was run over by a truck....
This morning I was moaning in bed--my stomach was so swollen and tender...turned out it was the GAS returning!

Part of it I think is that we've been "out of commission" for so long that we have the great urge to start being ore "normal"...It drives us nuts to sit around and do nothing as we see the house falling apart around us!

I can also relate to people around you thinking you should be 100%. We look better to everyone so the assumption is that we feel back to our old selves. NOT TRUE. I did have a little talk w/ my DH (who has been extremely supportive) and explained that bit to him...the kids especially think I'm back and fine now, but I think part of it is that they miss having the "old" mom around!

You're not alone...please try to go a little easier on yourself and I'm sure you'll feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2003, 11:56 AM
5-weeks post op pain

Hi ladies -
I'm at 6 weeks post op. At 5 weeks I felt worse than I did at two weeks!! I've read other posts and have found this to be quite common. Then POOF towards the middle to the end of the 5th week I started feeling much less sore and am getting around quite nicely :-) I think the Dr's may be right when they say that the 'nerves are waking up'. That may likely be the reason for the soreness on both side of the belly.
Hang in there! It DOES get better.
Phyllis
Unread 05-23-2003, 12:13 PM
5-weeks post op pain

Thanks Phyllis, Marianne and Luci!
I actually did go lay down and finish a book this morning for about 2 hours!! It does help to know that what I am feeling is normal. And I was relieved to here that closer to the end of the 5-week mark, you were feeling better, Phyllis.
I know my dh and ds and dd are ready for me to be 100%. But I think I'm going to have to have a heart to heart with them this weekend. I don't want to have some kind of complication and set myself backward instead of moving forward in my recovery.
Thanks again for the replies.
Take care and have a good, RELAXING weekend.
-Deb
Unread 05-23-2003, 03:00 PM
5-weeks post op pain

Hey Deb,

I had surgery the same day as you. I thouth it must be in my head because I feel the same way. What is up with that? Last week I felt great, this week I am tired and very tender.
Unread 05-23-2003, 04:04 PM
5-weeks post op pain

Yes, it's very normal. I hurt more the last few weeks of my recovery than the first 2. The first 2 weeks I did absoulutely nothing and it makes a difference in how you feel. I started gradually doing more and more on my DR recommendation and 5 weeks post was tough. I had major swelly , my incision would start aching, after a long week I was exhausted, and needed to sleep 13 hours to feel somewhat normal again. The up and downs will continue. One day you feel great and the next you're swollen and aching a bit. It can last for months too. I still have those days over 4 months out, but they are getting fewer and further between. At 11 weeks post, I went to the next state with my 3 capable children for two days. They swam, I sat and watched them and visited. When I returned home, I was hurting. I felt like a truck had run me over and I was way out of the initial recovery period by then. I had to rest up and begin again. Hang in there. Listen to your body and no one else. If your body is saying I'm tired, I hurt, please rest, then do so and don't feel guilty about it one bit!!! No one else is wearing your shoes right now. So what do they know. Good luck. Take care of you.
Unread 05-23-2003, 04:14 PM
5 weeks too!

I am glad to read that I am not alone on this 5 week recovery period. I also have been very sore and tired, cranky and just plain tired of being tired. I've not been sleeping well at night and I'm still taking pain pills. I have been behaving and not over doing it so I thought i would be feeling better by now. Oh well, enough of that....I'm just going to continue to rest and take it one day at the time. I should be on my period this week and I'm happy to know that I won't be having anymore of that mess!

I had TAH/BSO on 4-22-03.

Continue to rest and I wish everyone well on the journey of recovery.
Unread 05-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Wow!!!!!!!

ME TOO!!!!!! I am 5 weeks post-op and in the last 3 days I have felt worse than ever.

I am a fitness instructor, so my recovery was phenomenal. But now... people think I am a freak of nature to complain. But I feel like ****, I am tired, my tummy used to be hard and all but it looks like I am puffed out in a way never known to me.

I hate the mirror. I am still passing stiches!!!!!!!!! Gross! They look like little alien monsters. Lots of discharge and I am doing lots of physical work with my clients. When I pass a bowel, it hurts in that spot as it moves downtown. Ouch.

Dudette, I think it is just HEALING. Spoke to my Dr. and he said to come in right away if I was still feeling bad. But it is a GENERAL itchy twitchy ache. Like pins and needles and then some kind of dull throb that reminds me that I have been thru major surgery. I think all of this is NORMAL.

What do you think???????

Fiddle
Unread 05-24-2003, 09:54 AM
5-weeks post op pain

Deb, I am 4 weeks post-up and i feel the same as you! I am more tired and sore but we know it has to get better. My mother said to me arent you feeeling better yet? Whats taking so long. You start to think what is wrong. The good news is this website,it makes us realize we are normal and we WILL feel better soon. Just rest and soon we will feel better. Take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register