Just completed first chemo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just completed first chemo Just completed first chemo

Unread 05-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Just completed first chemo

Hi, Sisters. Just got back from the hospital and my first chemo treatment. I'm having 6 courses of Taxol and Carboplatinum. It was tough but I survived.

Some of you recall that I was originally scheduled to start chemo on 5/22. Then, there were some issues at the hospital and it had to be rescheduled for 5/23. So, I get there on 5/23 and go through all the standard rigamarole and finally get hooked up. I had to prepare the night before by taking two doses of Decadron (sp?). I didn't realize that you are also given "pre-meds", too, before the chemo can start so I had the Benedryl, Pepcid, and Zofran drips. Then, they started with the Taxol and I had a major reaction about 10 minutes into the drip. I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest and my chest up through my face turned bright red. The nurse was sitting with me at the time so she was right there stopping the drip, giving me more Benedryl and then some hydro-cortisone. Everything stopped, my Dr was called and then we motored into "Plan B".

You can imagine how upset I was. I was projecting that I'd be one of those "less than 1%" of the people who just can't handle the Taxol. I didn't even want to think of what "Plan C" might be. It was a long, long night. But, thank God, my husband was with me throughout and my sisters all showed up at the hospital to stay with me through the end of the evening. (One of my sisters even brough me a new pair of "SpongeBob SquarePants" pajamas. That really made me laugh and cheer up. The hospital staff loved them!)

Well, I prayed hard (as did so many of my family and friends) and reminded myself that God is stronger than any cancer and stronger than any Taxol and if anyone was going to get me through this, it would be God. So, once again, I just put it all in His hands. My prayers really helped me to calm down and stay calm throughout this long day. The pre-med drips started early and the Taxol was given to me over a longer period of time (about 5 hours). I was grateful for every drip. Then, the Carbo came on and that was a piece of cake compared to the Taxol.

My Mom was waiting for me when we got home and I was so happy to see her. She commented that this has been such a tough process for me and I said that anything that was worth having was worth fighting for. I'm really looking at this now as a fight against cancer. And my life is worth fighting for.

So, it's 1 down and 5 to go. Radition coming, too. I'm a bit wiped as you can probably tell. But I'll feel better after a good night's sleep.

Love to all and God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2003, 06:47 PM

Hi Maureen...

I am glad that your first chemo is over... The rest will be a piece of cake!! The first is usually always the worst.

If it makes you feel any better, I too had the exact same reaction to the taxol. It was a real ER situation going on in there. I remember it like it was yesterday. BUT..... it never happened again!!

Did you stay in the hospital overnight for the chemo??? That is what it sounded like to me. If so, I am just curious as to why?
I used to go in to the oncology treatment room at about 9am and was out by about 4pm.

If you start feeling crummy days 2 and 3 after the chemo, it is normal. We all seemed to call it a "bone pain" and all knew what the other was talking about. It does pass.

Take care

Rosalie
Unread 05-24-2003, 07:03 PM

(((Maureenie))), I was sorry to read that you had a bad reaction, but glad that you did get through it. Your attitude is terrific. I'll be hoping and praying that the rest go easy for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2003, 09:22 PM

Rosalie, thanks for your note. You did, in fact, tell me that you had a bad reaction to the first chemo treatment so, in a weird sort of way, it helped me while I was waiting to go through Plan B... You know, like I wasn't unique and not the first person to go through this. I stayed in the hospital overnight because the Dr decided to give me mega-doses of Decadron to prepare for the Taxol. I had 3 doses of Decadron every six hours, then the pre-meds, 1 more dose of Decadron and then the Taxol followed, finally, by the Carbo.

I'll be talking to my Dr next week, but I anticipate that's pretty much going to be the course for the next 5 chemos. We'll see.

You know, when I started on this journey, I said that they could throw everything including the kitchen sink at me to take blow out every last cancer cell. I think someone took me literally!!

EM, thanks so much for your good wishes.

This website has been my lifeline. God bless.
Unread 05-25-2003, 07:33 AM

wow Maureen,,,

They really pumped you up with stuff. I am definately sure that the next time will be lots easier, at least I am hoping it will be!!

After my second chemo they did not give me decatron to take orally before the chemo. They just gave me benedryl the day of the chemo. Could the decatron have something to do with it???

Believe me, I know that that was not a fun situation for you. However, it is behind you now.

Just think, by September it wil be all over and by February you will have a full head of hair again!!

Keep in touch
Rosalie
Unread 05-25-2003, 08:33 AM
Praying for you!

Hi Maureen,

Just wanted you to know that you are in my prayers....I hope this gets easier for you as I am sure it will. I see my gyno/onc on June 2 and will find out about my chemo then. I had a radical hys. on May 9. You are so fortunate to have a great support system, that is truly a blessing. I have read some postings that have made me pray for them, because they have a lack of support. I am truly blessed to have so many family and friends cheering me on.

Wishing you the best. May God Bless!

Julie
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:36 AM

Glad you made it thur the first chemo. Others have had bad reactions to the first taxol treatment, but it didn't happen again.
Prayer, faith and the friends on this board got me thru it. It seems like the 6 treatments will take forever, but for me it went by pretty fast. I hope you tolerate the next 5 treatments well
Unread 05-25-2003, 02:39 PM

Hi, Maureenie!

So sorry to hear that you had a bad reaction, but I think it's pretty common. Will they have to admit you for each treatment? I hope not.

If your doctor approves, try taking a B-complex vitamin during treatment. This will help minimize neuropathy. I had a lot of numbness and tingling and cold during my first chemo treatment, but when I started taking the B-complex vitamin, it all went away. I'm also finding that maitake mushroom with D-fraction drops are helping minimize some of the pain.

I had a very hard time with the first chemo, paticularly with keeping my bowels working. If you are still taking narcotics from the surgery, be sure to take stool softeners often. I truly hope you don't have any problems on that end.

I can honestly say that treatment two went better than the first, and treatment three went better than the second. If all subsequent treatments are like this one, I can make it through three or five more with no problem.

I hope you are able to get through the next few days with minimal pain and minimal nausea! s!
Unread 05-25-2003, 02:45 PM

Maureenie-
Hang in there. I'm glad #1 is over. May the rest go smoothly without any reactions.

Ruth S
Unread 05-25-2003, 04:16 PM
You Sound Positive.

Maureen,
It must have been scarey. Bad enough without bad reactions
Bet your next one goes without a hitch. Fingers crossed.
Love,
Steph.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register