Just completed first chemo - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just completed first chemo Just completed first chemo

Unread 05-26-2003, 10:27 AM
so sorry

Maureen, what a rough way to go. I'm so glad the slower infusion rate worked out for you. The next ones will be much easier with that situation out of the way. (Always remind them-just in case).
Take care and blessings to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Maureen,

I am so sorry to hear of your bad reaction to your first treatment. I too had a very bad reaction. I couldn't breath, and had to have oxygen, and I was also paralized for a while. Mine started at the second drip, my nurse was just saying that if I was going to react to the drug it would happen now, then I started getting this wierd feeling, when I told her that, she immediately stropped the drip. She was wonderful, she got me the oxygen and took care of me and had to keep reminding me to breath, then once it was over, she went and got the Dr.

Anyway, they changed my chemo to something else, what was it..... oh yes it was the carbo with Cytoxan. I had that for the first three treatments then on the fourth I went back to taxol and carbo.

They were very worried, at least my new chemo nurse was. She made sure that my Dr was there, they had the first aid kit open and ready on the bed next to me, and they had the oxygen tank right there for me. I didn't need any of it. It went smoothly with no problems what so ever. I did have to take Decadron two days before, and then three days after each treatment.

I'm sure you will be fine, for your next treatments.

's and ers to you.

Let us know when you start your radiation, and when your next treatment is.
Unread 05-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Just completed first chemo

s Maureenie

I am glad to read that the first treatment is finally in!!
I too had the scary reaction to taxol. I would describe it almost exactly as you did. In addition to the elephant on my chest, and the turning bright red, I felt like I could not get any air in my lungs. I also thought that would be the end of taxol.
But...... after more pre meds it was continued. My first taxol probably took about six hours. For the next five treatments my steroid loading at home was doubled. And I never had the reaction again.
By the fifth treatment, the taxol was back to infusing over three hours.
When taxol was first tested in the early 90's, women were admitted to intensive care units to receive it. And you and I now understand why. Actually it is the fluid taxol is mixed with that causes the reaction. Or so my gyn onc has told me.
Please don't be afraid when it is time for your next treatment.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 07:29 AM

I also had the same reaction to the Taxol the first time I had chemo. It never happened again though. My chemo nurse was great. She was right there with oxygen and telling me to breathe. They've also slowed up the drip and I take more pre-drugs. But I've never had another reaction. What I want to know is--this is suppose to be a very rare occurence, or so I was told. So why has it happened to so many of us?

Barbara
Unread 05-28-2003, 10:05 AM

Hi Barbara

I don't believe that the adverse reaction to taxol is too rare. Any woman receiving taxol for the first time, will find that the chemo nurse sits right at her side as the infusion begins. I think that alone speaks volumes. If the reaction is to occur, it happens quite quickly. It would be interesting though, to see actual numbers.

oxox karenann
Unread 05-29-2003, 04:41 PM

Thank you all so much for your notes. I really appreciate each one and every of them.

You know, I think I had what is probably a common misunderstanding. I think what is rare with Taxol is the percentage of people who are *ultimately* unable to tolerate the Taxol. Like, the percentage of people who have an initial reaction might be fairly significant. But after they beef you up with more steroids and pre-meds and slow the drip down, it is the percentage of people who are still unable to tolerate Taxol at all that is really quite small.

God bless you all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register