Anyone have these procedures done? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have these procedures done? Anyone have these procedures done?

Unread 05-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Anyone have these procedures done?

I have to have an endoscopy done on June 6th. I am also having a procedure done where they stick this thing through my nose and down into my esophagus to measure how much acid is coming up into my esophagus. I have been having severe pain in my esophagus and alot of pain and nausea in my stomach. I want to find out what's going on, but I am so anxious about these procedures, especially the one where I have somethingput in my nose! I will be sedated for the endoscopy and most likely won't remember much, but I will only be numbed a little for the other procedure and then I have to keep that thing in for 24 hours and I have to do anything I can to bring on the pian!!!!!

Why does it seem like one thing after another???? This all seemed to start with the Motrin I was taking for my pelvic pain! I'm not sure if the Motrin really caused it to start, but it's very likely since I had a problem getting it down and it would dissolve in my esophagus half the time. If I only knew at the time how much damage it could cause!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2003, 09:07 PM

{{{{{{{{Pasdechat}}}}}} Good luck sweetie! The endoscopy is not bad at all believe me. I had 2 of them over the past several years. I did have a tube passed down through my nostril into my stomach a loonnnnnggggggg time ago but only for a short time. It was very uncomfortable at first but not too bad after you get used to it. In the end it will be worth it if they find out what is going on. Hang in there and I will say a prayer for you.....

Emily s
Unread 05-24-2003, 10:27 PM

Hi (((Pasdechat))) I wanted to stop by and give you some s and best wishes for good test results.

I haven't had the exact same test you're going to have, but a couple of years ago I had to have a procedure which my children (both of whom watched as if they were seeing a new episode of CSI for the first time ) referred to as the "nose cam".

I had grossly enlarged adenoids, and prior to surgery to remove them, the ENT DR had to run a camera up through my nose into my head and "explore". What the camera saw was displayed on a big screen which was right next to my head. I had no sedation or even anything to numb the area. It wasn't painful at all, but it did totally creep me out. I felt like there was something alive crawling around inside my head between my eyes. The tube was about the diameter of a Q-tip, and it was as if the entire Q-tip had been inserted up through my nose.

I had to have the procedure repeated after the surgery, and it was even scarier because I was still in a considerable amount of pain from the surgery... but this time he put some numbing stuff (I believe it was lidocaine) up there first. That was an improvement. So, I think as long as they give you the numbing stuff, you should be OK. The important thing is to try not to fight the sensation.

I haven't had an endoscopy (my specialty is the other end ) but if they give you versed to sedate you, you won't care what they do and won't remember a thing. That is wonderful stuff!

Good luck sweetie, do let us know how things go, OK?
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2003, 04:25 AM

Hi

I have not had this particular test done but as Linda said I to have had things done down at the other end, but just want you to have a big from me and some good wishes. And as Linda said the versed is the most wonderful drug and you will breeze right thru it!!
Unread 05-25-2003, 07:58 PM

Pasdechat,
I've had the endoscopy done twice recently and I was very very sedated and didn't remember a thing and woke up pretty quickly and wasn't in any pain, at least from the procedure afterwards.

The first time, I woke up asking the guy when he was going to start and he told me that they were done.

Hang in there sweetie. Hopefully the procedure will provide the doc with some clues as to what is going on.
Unread 05-25-2003, 08:23 PM

Kim M and Gemsab, did the doctor find anything when you had the endoscopies done? I am afraid they'll get in there and not find a thing wrong with me. That seems to be the story of my life I already had an esophagram done and they didn't find anything abnormal. I suppose that's good, but I want answers....just like with everything else(bladder, ovaries, etc.....). I go in the June 3rd to get that thing stuck through my nose and down my esophagus and then on the 6th, I am having the endoscopy.

Thanks for the reassuranrce everyone! I definately feel less anxious. I will let you know how it goes!
Unread 05-26-2003, 08:39 AM

pasdechat,
Both times the doc found some gastritis and a bit of erosion of something, I can't remember exactly what it was. The second time I had the endoscopy was because my GS doc wanted the GI doc to take some tissue samples and to look for signs of Celiac's disease. None was found.

I know it's hard when you have the tests and nothing is found, but to look on the bright side at least we know that we don't have a left threatening disease.
Unread 05-26-2003, 08:59 AM

pasdechat, The first time I had it done, they found esophagitis from severe GERD. The second one I had done was to rule that out again but it was fine. It was my GB that was giving me problems at that time. I know what you mean, you hope they find something so it can be dealt with but on the other hand, if they don't, you wonder where to go next. I wish you luck hun!

Emily s
Unread 05-26-2003, 01:03 PM
me too!

Pasdechat - I've had 2 endoscopies in the last 6 months. The first one they confirmed I had severe gastritis, but couldn't determine the cause (they ruled out any ulcer), so treated me on just the symptoms. The second endoscopy was because I was complaining of horrible heartburn, again they could find nothing wrong with me, but treated me on the symptoms. The interesting part of this story is that after 2nd endoscopy, my heartburn increased significantly and I went to the Dr. ready to argue with him that it had to be SOMETHING! Luckily, he listened to me and said that most likely I have dyspepsia. One of the unusual things about dyspepsia (vs. other diagnosis) is that it is one of the few times getting an endoscopy makes the symptoms of heartburn worse .

I personallly think all of these digestion issues resulted from the surgeries, since I had never had a problem before.

The endoscopies were about the same as getting a dental filling, and the knock-out drugs really do knock-you out!

Good luck with your procedures. Hopefully they will find the cause and take good care of you.
Unread 05-26-2003, 09:23 PM

I had an endoscopy done. Make sure they give you enough drugs. I remember almost the entire thing and I pushed the scope out the first time they tried to put it in because I was still quite aware of everything. Once they gave me enough drugs it was no big deal.

My problem started after I was put on ortho-trycyclen. I started having terrible dyspepsia around the same time such that I could hardly eat anything without feeling really nauseaous.. I also vomited a few times. After several months I was so miserable and didn't want to eat because whenever I ate I felt sick. I suggested to the GI doctor that perhaps it was the pill but of course no one listened to me.... but my intuition kept telling me that the pill and the start of the stomach problems went together. After 10 months I decided to stop taking the pill despite what the GI doctor said and about two weeks later I started to be able to eat normally again with little trouble.... I haven't had any trouble since and I never went back to the GI doctor. I also had similiar trouble with Ortho Novum. My Gyn does believe me but is not sure what it is in those pills that caused me to have such a bad and on-going problem... he thought maybe it was the type of progesterone in those pills.

Best wishes. I hope you find an answer.

Sblumen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register