Anyone have these procedures done? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have these procedures done? Anyone have these procedures done?

Unread 05-26-2003, 10:01 PM
Anyone have these procedures done?

I am feeling better and better about having the endoscopy done, thanks to all of you. I too, get sick to my stomach when I eat. It's weird. I can't eat nearly as much as I used to and when the esophageal spasms come on, I get really sick!

I have also wondered if it's the meds that I'm on that are causing the problems. I already know that NSAIDS make all my esophageal symptoms worse, so I don't take them at all anymore. But I am on 4 different meds for my bladder and BCP's. I asked my friend's husband, who is a pharmacist and he said that none of these drugs should cause problems. My symptoms started getting bad when I started taking the bladder meds. Maybe it's just a coincidence. I have to take my bladder medications, otherwise I'm in a lot of pain and going to the bathroom all the time.

Oh well. Maybe we'll get to the bottom of my problems by the end of next week. I'll let you know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Something occurred to me...

As I read your post, and those in reply:
  Quote:
My symptoms started getting bad when I started taking the bladder meds. Maybe it's just a coincidence. I have to take my bladder medications, otherwise I'm in a lot of pain and going to the bathroom all the time
Many of the bladder meds are muscle relaxants, which could also relax the valve between your esophagus and your stomach. So can the progestins in the BCPs. That's why so many ladies start having heartburn during the latter part of pregnancy...the hormones are relaxing that area as well.

Then if you have constant reflux, the acid does eat away the lining of the esophagus ("erosive esophagitis"). This does need to be treated, as it can lead to certain types of malignancies The good news is, there are treatments for it and for the reflux...and some of those same things could well help with the bladder problems.

The Ph probe tickles on and off, but it isn't a huge deal, just looks funny. I did tend to have sneezing fits with it, but it turns out to be an extremely valuable test. The esophagram just says that there's nothing wrong with the mechanical passage of food. The gastroscopy looks directly at the lining of the stomach and the esophagus, which will tell them if there is any damage or not. I've had two of those without medications; I just used all my meditation and deep breathing techniques, and they used lots of numbing spray on the back of my throat. I've also done years of transesophageal echo, which is essentially the same procedure as far as the patient is concerned, so I knew exactly what happens each step of the way. This is NOT an approach I recommend for everyone!!!

The pH probe will tell them if, for some reason, your body chemistry is over-producing acid, which is contibuting to your symptoms. What it will do is document the acidity of your stomach over a 24 hour period, which may also help you to time eating to make it more comfortable for you.

Any and all meditation, yoga, breathing that you've learned, and put to use during other procedures, will help here. None of these are as awful as some of what you've already been through! . And maybe you'll be able to get some answers that will help ALL of you, not just your tummy.

Do look into the Prelief that I posted about a couple of days ago...it might be the answer to getting some respite for your symptoms while you wait for some of these answers.

You deserve SOME answers, you've been through so much!

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register