Hole in bladder - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hole in bladder Hole in bladder

Unread 05-30-2003, 01:44 PM
Hole in bladder

I had my vesico-vaginal fistula repaired 13 days after my hysterectomy. Two weeks after having that surgery performed, my suprapubic catheter was removed even though I told my uro that my vagina was "moist". It seemed to be intermittant and more when I increased my activity and had a full bladder. I went to my gyn every week for exams and he could not see any leakage. However, after all I had been through (and probably because I am a nurse), he finally gave me pyridium and inserted a tampon in my vagina. The pyridium turns your urine orange and when I removed the tampon 3 hours later, it was also orange. Thus, my fistula was not completely healed. The next day I had a repeat cystogram which showed slight leakage on urination. The day after that I saw my urologist. He inserted a catheter and I had to keep it in for 10 days. He gave me a fifty fifty chance of not having another surgical repair if I kept the catheter in. Last week I went to a urogyn for a second opinion. It was two weeks after I removed the catheter. She did a cystogram and injected methylene blue in my bladder and again did the tampon test. This time the tampon stayed clear, so the fistula is supposedly closed. I am still not one hundred percent convinced, but I definitely do not feel as "moist" as I did before. I hope the catheter works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Hi PrettyNurse!

Thanks for replying.. It's been a week now since I've had my cath in and I am sorta getting used to it. However, I am still leaking! My next appt is on Monday, and I will have another dye test done. Not sure if this baby is going to heal on its own.. I really need to get this repaired quickly because my daughter needs some surgery done and she can't go unless I go with her.. <SIGH>

Hugz,
Maddy
Unread 05-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Hole in bladder

Hey Maddy

Hope you are doing better and maybe the leaking has subsided?? Good luck on Monday and I will keep you and DD in my nightly prayers!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Hole in bladder

Hi Maddy

Just wondering how you are doing.. let me know if you have a moment.. feel well sister..
Unread 06-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Hole in bladder

Hi Maddy,

Sorry to hear you have a vvf. I am a fistula lady too. It sounds like your *might* be small enough to heal on it's own.

I had mine diagnosed 10 days post op from my TAH. I was doing well too and then suddenly uncontrollable pouring (never leaked...poured urine). I had it repaired 3 months after TAH abdominally and had 2 cath's for 4 weeks after repair surgery. So far so good...except for "other" complications...

It was a long road. I just want to give you a big HUG....and come here for advise...

Renee
Unread 06-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Hole in bladder

Hi Maddy,
I hope things are going better for you. I am going back to my doctor on Monday for further testing since I still feel "moist" down there. He assures me that if I do need further surgery ,it can be done vaginally this time. Personally, I would rather live with the moistness but he said that is not an option. I will be praying for you.
Unread 06-04-2003, 10:38 AM
Hi Karen,

Thanks for the inquiry. I went to the Dr. on June 2, and did another dye test.. He actually looked into my bladder through a scope and couldn't see the hole! However, I was still leaking a teeny weeny bit, so he concluded that it must be closing up. Now I have a brandnew cath and need to wear this one for 2 weeks.. My next appt. is on the 18th. Hopefully, it will be all healed up by then...
Hugz,
Maddy

Quote:
Originally posted by KAR1
Hi Maddy

Just wondering how you are doing.. let me know if you have a moment.. feel well sister..
Unread 06-04-2003, 10:42 AM
HI Renee,

Thanks for writing! Well, now that really makes me wonder. What causes these fistulas? Is it caused by the doctor being careless? Or is it a common thing..? I never heard of bladder spasms before, (and I don't have them now) but if anything comes close to that description, is when I first came out of surgery. I had the worst cramping in my bladder then. Was it because it was nicked THEN? Wishing both of us a speedy recovery!

Hugz,
Maddy

[quote]Originally posted by pbpowner
[b]Hi Maddy,

Sorry to hear you have a vvf. I am a fistula lady too. It sounds like your *might* be small enough to heal on it's own.

<snip>
Unread 06-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Hi PrettyNurse!

Well, I sure hope you get that taken care of soon!! I will pray for you, too...
Hugz,
Maddy

Quote:
Originally posted by prettynurse
Hi Maddy,
I hope things are going better for you. I am going back to my doctor on Monday for further testing since I still feel "moist" down there. He assures me that if I do need further surgery ,it can be done vaginally this time. Personally, I would rather live with the moistness but he said that is not an option. I will be praying for you.
Unread 06-05-2003, 09:14 AM
Hole in bladder

Maddy,

My fistula happened from my surgeon stitching my bladder by accident and while the stitches were healing (disolving) my bladder tore. I had a fairly large hole. Doctor said it was about 10cm (if I remember correctly).

I too had a horrible night in the hospital after they uncath'd me. (after the hyst) I was up peeing every hour and the nurses got mad at me cause I was dizzy and needed help going to the bathroom. She even made a comment to me about how I could get through the night at home????

A bladder spasm (in my mind) is the constant feeling of having to pee and having sharp shooting pains. I'm back on Detrol LA again and I don't know if the side affects are worse....dry mouth, constipation.

I am having an ultra sound tomorrow to see if my one ovary is causing my pain still.

Good luck, sadly fistulas are a "complication" of this type of surgery and it happens TOO often.

Renee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register