Update on dr's visit... last Thursday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update on dr's visit... last Thursday Update on dr's visit... last Thursday

Unread 05-25-2003, 06:57 PM
Update on dr's visit... last Thursday

I meant to post this before now... but I haven't known quite what to make of it all... so I procrastinated.

As some of you will know, I had my thyroid and hormone levels tested last month and was sooooo hoping that they would show that I was in peri-menopause and would explain all of these symptoms I've been having .... but, surprisingly, they were all very normal. My doctor was quite categoric: I am not peri-menopausal!!! Not only were my levels good, my estrogen levels were actually high.

Honestly, I'm not surprised: so far, every trail I've followed (the arthritis trail, the possible diabetes trail and now the hormone trail) have proven to show "No Problem". I'm honestly starting to believe that it's all in my head!!! Maybe I've been reading so much about these complications that I've persuaded myself, and my body, that I have them After all, my sister is an hypochondriach... so why wouldn't I be one too

As if that wasn't bad enough, the neck pains I've been having for the past weeks was gone that day and I forgot to mention them. I've had those for about 20 years now!!! And they've been getting worse in the past weeks. And, of course, they were back by Friday!!!

The only good things that came out of the appointment were the referral to the urologyst (she was reluctant, but I insisted that the incontinance is a real nuisance of a problem) and the fact that she gave me a sample that is effectively dealing with the ecsema on my left arm. Unfortunately, the cream can't be used on my face, so it can't help my eyebrows that are sooooo itchy!!!

Sorry to be venting sooooo much. It's not that I want to be sick, honest, it's just that I know that once I have a dx, I'll be able to, finally, start looking for a solution!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2003, 07:01 PM

Oh, I forgot to say that the only part of my results that was a little off was my bad cholesterol that was a little high, despite being on a healthy eating plan for the past 2 years

I am also a little concerned with the estrogen being high, since there seems to be a link between high estrogen and breast cancer. Breast cancer is a serious concern for me: my aunt and father's cousins have both had breast cancer. And all my gynecological problems are inherited from my dad's side of the family
Unread 05-25-2003, 07:52 PM

Dany,
I can certainly relate to all tests being normal! One thing I've learned is that just because the *test* shows normal doesn't mean that you shouldn't continue to pursue answers to your problems. One thing Doc Cutie told me after all the usual tests proved inconclusive is that it was time to look outside the box. Thru perseverance I've found some clues here and there, not answers, but at least I have some clues and have found some short lived relief.

Hang in there my friend. Some day our will come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2003, 08:01 PM

(((Dany))) I'm so sorry you didn't get the answers you were looking for. That's good news about the cream though. About the estrogen level... did she say why it might be high? Estrogen dominance can occur even when all the hormones are within normal ranges (like if estrogen is high normal and progesterone & testosterone are low normal). Did she suggest anything like a little natural progesterone if you're concerned about the high estrogen level?

I just know there are some answers for you out there somewhere... they are just hiding, but they are there.
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-25-2003, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the s and words of encouragement (((((Kim))))) Deep down, I know I'm not imagining things: after all, when I wake up in sweats, I have the proof that my body is way too hot!!! And, as is happening right now, despite taking my Celebrex, my wrists and ankles tell me that the pain is real... just not as bad as it was last year, when I couldn't even walk.

I'm not giving up... and I'm really hoping that maybe, just maybe, things will all settle down and the pain and symptoms will go away on their own

And, ((((Kim)))), along with all the other Road Dwellers, I do hope that, some day soon, the magic will show up and this Road will finally turn into an off-ramp for all.

Unread 05-25-2003, 08:11 PM

((((Linda))))) Took me so long to post, I missed your post

I knew you'd have something to say about the hormone levels I must admit that I was so taken aback by the unexpected results that I didn't think to question what the high estrogen levels meant. However, I'm not surprised that they're high: I've always had Estrogen dominance symptoms, especially since my hyst. Just got concerned when I remembered the link between high levels of estrogen and breast cancer.

I also forgot to ask about monitoring my BP... which is all over the place: high one time, low the next... normal the odd times. For instance, Saturday, after biking to the store, my BP registered at 142 over 89... and I forgot to ask the pharmacist if exercising=higher BP than normal
Unread 05-25-2003, 08:49 PM

Dany,

I am sorry you are still at a loss for all these symptoms and no answers. This guessing game can be so cruel because so many health issues seem to cross over in symptoms,etc. But answers we still need and eliminating things like thyroid and hormonal disorders seem like the first place to start considering our histories. You are fortunate to have a DR that would actually test yours; my GYN refuses to test and goes by symptoms only. I have no clue where my levels are-except my thyroid level which I insisted my GP test due to family history of thyroid disease.

Just a thought-You have ruled out a lot of big issues maybe its time to go back to the basics again. I know from your past post that you journal- could some of this truly be a PMS issue or cyclic related? If mine is PMS related it seems to be coming about 2 weeks apart Maybe due to both ovulation and then during the normal drop in levels for when a normal period would start?? I totally wish I understood how my body worked during a normal cycle then maybe all this would make sense or maybe I just didn't pay much attention to my severe PMS because once I started my period I would regain some sense of normalcy.

Maybe the URO DR can shed some light on things!!Hang in there I still think we are on the outskirts of the even if the test for the time being is in the 'normal' range. What lady doesn't visit it occasionally since we all seem to be made up of these unique hormones.

I totally understand your sentiment too
  Quote:
I meant to post this before now... but I haven't known quite what to make of it all...
sometimes I just don't know what to make of where I am either.

Hugs,
lenee
Unread 05-25-2003, 10:03 PM

Dany, I am so sorry your appt did not go well!

I have had my share of bad appts. I also have incontinence and am having a bladder sling put in during my repair surgery. (actually that is the repair,lol) I know how it feels to think after having all of those tests that it is all in your head. Heck, I had one Dr that TOLD me it was all in my head!!

I really hope that they find something soon so you can get on the road to recovery. It took me a long time to get here and I still sometimes feel like there is something they are missing.

Good luck with the Uro, please let us know how it goes!!

We are right here for you dear sister!!!

BIG HUG!!
Unread 05-26-2003, 08:27 AM

Dany: I'm not sure if this will help, but I had a couple of wild ideas to throw out there for you to investigate.

My first thought was food allergies. When you mentioned that your estrogen level was actually a little high, I thought you were probably eating hidden soy that is in all the food products. You may consider cutting carbohydrates and trying organic food for awhile. I had a friend in high school that was allergic to monosodium glutamate. It is in virtually all processed foods. It is on food labels under different names.

My next thought is a story about me about a year post-hyst. My low back and hips started to hurt. It felt like the bones were aching. Of course I imagined all the worse things. I went to a foot doctor for orthoditics (that is a great place to start). The foot doctor told me that he has had people come to him that have been in pain for years and he helped them. He discovered that I had one leg shorter than the other (less than a centimeter). He said when you are young you don't notice, but once you turn 40 you will feel the pain. I tried a shoe lift.

My hip continued to hurt so I went to a regular physician. She sent me to a physical therapist. He gave me stretching exercises. Finally on my own I went to a chiropractor/acupressurist. He does not crack your back, but puts pressure on varioius pain areas and does body massage. That was my best experience. He took an xray of my hip--no one did that, not even the regular physician. He found the exact measurement. Had me get a full lift put on my shoe. He corrected my posture. He also talked to me about adhesions and endo, my hyst, etc. He knew more than most doctors.

Long story, but I just want to tell you that you should keep trying. You know something isn't right and need to get the problem fixed rather than just treat pain. Have you ever gone to a foot doctor?

I hope this wasn't too long. I just want to encourage you to continue to find help.
Unread 05-26-2003, 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and insight ((((Lenee)))), ((((Pam)))) and ((((Imalith))))

((((Lenee))))) I already know that the majority of my symptoms, if not all of them, are linked to that cycle of mine: not only the cramping, mood swings, lower backpains, etc., but also the IBS symptoms and even the incontinence seems to go in cycles!!! Like you, I never paid much attention to my cycle pre-op.. mostly because I didn't have a cycle: I tended to bleed anytime and most of the time. And PMS wasn't a real problem back then. That's why it shocked me so when I started having these problems post-op: I knew I would still have a cycle from keeping my ovaries, however, I never expected to have problems I'd never had before!!! I'm sorry your doctor doesn't want to test your hormones I find that, since the hyst, the symptoms are not the same as they were Pre-hyst: removal of the uterus, just by itselft, tends to affect a lot of things... much more than I ever thought it would, despite all the research I did. All I can say is: keep trying and keep asking. I did have my hormones tested, 2 years ago... and, at that time too, the results were good. It took me all this time to get them tested again. This time, even the results are not what I expected, they at least showed something unusual: the high levels of estrogen... which might explain some of the issues I'm dealing with.

((((Pam))))) I'm sorry you had such a hard time getting your issues addressed. I've found that doctors tend to shrug off issues with incontinence. I know that I had to insist, again, that this problem had gone on, unattended, for long enough. And the same GP has been shrugging off the issues my MIL has been having. They really do not realize just how frustrating and awful it can be. Hopefully, this upcoming surgery will be the one to set you off on that off-ramp.

((((Imalith)))) Thanks for all the info. I don't think it's a food allergy, though... you never know: I do have lots of allergies, but they're "breathing" allergies. I already am careful of what I eat, though I'm not exactly low-carbing... however, I can be careful of the soy I eat.

When I have a chance, I'm planning to contact my doctor and ask to have my hormone levels tested when I'm having problems with hot flashes, insomnia, etc. Just to see if the results will be different.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register