Is this cramps ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this cramps ? Is this cramps ?

Unread 05-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Is this cramps ?

Hiya Ladies, I know my subject is a bit odd, but I am one who has never in my life had cramps ... up til now ... I think.

It's been almost a year and a half since my TAH/LSO and 8 months from the time they removed a large wayward fibroid that had pushed my right ovary out of the way.

Let me start by saying that it has been 6+ years since I had regular periods, and I can't seem to recall exactly what my true cycle was. I think what I am about to desscripe falls into it, but I'm not 100% sure.

12 days ago I noticed a little ache about where my ovary is. Not constant, and it only was around for 2 days. 10 days later (and for the past three days) I've been getting a little ache again. It comes n goes. It's not strong enough to make me want ibuprofen or even the heating pad. When I feel it, it's there, short and over.

The last two surgeries where they've opened me up my Doctor said my ovary is really quite healthy. I don't seem to have any other adverse affects. So I'm wondering, for any of you who used to get them or still do ... does that sound like cramps?

I see my doctor on Friday, but I'm just curious. These things tend to make one nervous since I have a 6month track record of growing fibroids.

Thanks

BSQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Is this cramps ?

Hi BSQ
When I ovulate, I have slight cramping like you described. A sonogram showed that I get cysts on my left ovary and the cramping comes from the "sloughing" off of the ovium. This is not a big deal unless they stop sloughing off and accumulate, thus causing the cyst to get larger and becoming painful. Then , if it should burst well... lets just say, that pain takes me to the floor. It could be that you are ovulating. Don't ever hesitate to call your dr. and ask questions. He/she might want to take a look.
No cramps..... ever?!? What a lucky sister you are
Unread 05-28-2003, 05:42 PM
Is this cramps ?

Hi (((((BSQ)))))

I'm sorry you're having these symptoms, sweetie. Your symptoms do sound like they could related to your cycle. I don't know if it's cramps though... could it be your ovary spasming or something?

When I have cramps, they are right smack in the middle of my tummy and they are spasmic: if I didn't know better, I'd swear it was my uterus contracting!!! And the cramps tend to radiate to my lower back. In my case, it does make me reach for the Tylenol bottle and want the heating pad... both on my tummy and my lower back.

Other symptoms that tend to occur at the same time: mild head aches; bowel spasms thanks to my IBS; water retention; mood swings and an uncontrollable urge to eat everything in sight, especially sweets and junk food (shhhh... don't tell the BEST gang!!!)

I'm relieved that you are seeing your doctor on Friday. As Karlene mentionned: it's always a good idea to mention any new developments of this kind to your doctor.

Sending lots of s your way. Please let us know what the verdict is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Me too

I get cramps also, but I am not sure if it is ovary pain or gas? Drives me crazy sometimes, because it can catches me off guard.
Unread 05-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Sounds like ovulation pain to me.

I think it is called Mittelschmerz (Ovulation Pain). When I had ovaries I could tell every month when I ovulated and which side. At first it wasn't very bad at all and was pretty much exactly like you describe and only lasted a few hours. But after the birth of my twins it got worse and lasted at least a week or more each time. It eventually got so bad that I went to the doctor which was the start of my whole hysterectomy process. I eventually got cysts on my ovaries (diagnosed myself by the way). I knew that was what it was, but each time I went to the doctor or ER they blew it off. Finally I had an ultrasound after a severe episode that sent me to the ER because it was on the right side and I thought it might be my appendix. The ultrasound 5 days later showed that I had free fluid in the abdomen from a ruptured cyst and had another cyst on the left ovary.
Anyway that has been my experience, but I would definately discuss it with your doctor and start a pain journal to kind of keep track of when it happens in the month, you might start to see a pattern.

Good luck and keep us posted.

's
Pamela
Unread 05-29-2003, 06:18 PM
Is this cramps ?

Thank you all for your responses. I see my tomorrow. Least the good news for me is I haven't has a significant weight or inches gain so this is out of character for my body with anything ebing seriously wrong. My DSw (dear sweetie) says it is on my old cycle pattern ... funny how he knows that better than me ... (boy you take Lupron once and HE remembers it forever!) We are tracking the flare-ups and how it feels, just incase I need to be aware of a pattern moving forward.

hanks again, I'll let ya know how it goes tomorrow.

BSQ
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Is this cramps ?

Thanks for the update ((((BSQ)))) Your DSw sure is a pearl, remembering your cycle this way and helping you chart the flare ups. I know that I find charting a valuable tools when trying to pinpoint exactly what is going on. Please let us know how it goes at the 's tomorrow.
Unread 05-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Is this cramps ?

Hiya ladies, and thanks again for your responses. Just back from my visit with He says everything feels fine and shouldn't be anything to worry about.

My visit reconfirmed how fortunate I am to have found this Doctor to get me through all my surgeries. He turned to his nurse and said "this is a tough gal. She doesn't ever complain, so when she mentions something we really have to watch it given her history" (He's concerned because he seems to think I have a very high tolerance for pain... obviously never seen me stub my toe).

He too says it sounds like a cramp, so he gave me a sample and prescription of some stuff for that, and he thinks it might be a muscle strain from my so told me to go easy on that, and try some other stuff that he uses when he overdoes it with exercise.

I'm starting with half dose of the stuff for cramps. But boy oh boy we sure are releived that nothing seems to have reared it's ugly head in 6 months again. I go back in 2 weeks if it is still bothering me for a CT scan, otherwise I just have to let him know all is OK.

BSQ
Unread 05-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Is this cramps ?

((((BSQ))))) I'm so happy that all seems to be OK. That doctor of yours sure sounds like a keeper

I hope that the meds help and that all is ok.
Unread 05-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Is this cramps ?

Hi BSQ
There's a lot to be said about "peace of mind". I'm glad you have a good dr..... one that you trust. It sounds like he listens and that is very important. If your cramps continue, you make sure you have that scan done! Karlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register