Over a year and still no energy!! :-( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Over a year and still no energy!! :-( Over a year and still no energy!! :-(

Unread 05-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Over a year and still no energy!! :-(

Hello girls,

I had my SAH on 3/20/02, and I am STILL exhausted 90% of the time, it seems. My doctor thinks it probably goes back to the fact that my health was so run down before I even had surgery that it's just taking a long time to recover, but please!!!!! this is ridiculous.

I'm taking vitamins, trying to eat right, get lots of sleep (I feel like I could sleep all the time), not exercising much, maybe lack of exercise has something to do with it?? I am taking Ambien (only 5mg) probably 4 nites a week to get to sleep - even though I feel tired I have had problems with insomnia.

My last hormone levels were normal (kept my ovaries).

Please tell me I'm not the only one. I've never felt like an 'older woman', but I do now because I'm so pooped. The hyst didn't make me feel older, but this tiredness does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2003, 09:31 AM

The same thing happened to me. It was very frustrating. I started walking everyday and doing moderate stretching exercises. It really made a difference for me. It is funny how you have to expend energy to make energy.

I also wonder if there if the Ambien might be effecting you. I took Tylenol PM once and I woke up feeling like I had a terrible hangover. Darn...didn't even get the fun from the night before!
Unread 05-30-2003, 10:07 AM

{{{{{{{{Allegra}}}}}}} I am sorry you are still feeling the effects of your hyst. You said your hormone levels were ok so I assume you had bloodwork done. Did they do any testing of your thyroid levels? Was your blood count ok? I would suggest having a full work up to try and find out the reasons for your fatigue as it is a symptom of many conditions. I hope you find a solution soon. Good luck to you. Have missed chatting with you.....

Emily s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2003, 12:47 PM

Hi

I agree on the full workup. It's not normal to be so tired for so long. (This is coming from a person who has had Chronic Fatigue for 25 years.) I think it's really important to rule everything out and not just assume it's from the hysterectomy and being run down.

Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 05-30-2003, 03:07 PM

Hi ladies

I don't post on this one often, cos realistically I don't feel my post-hyst symptoms are anything like as serious as some posts...I tend to just ignore the symptoms for the most part!

Anyway. I'll be 12 months post at the end of July - at the moment, my energy levels are so low it's hard for me to function during the day (I'm not working atm). I seem to have had much lower energy since the hyst - I have no idea why, as my hormone levels are ok (kept ovaries). I *have* recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism - we're still doing the "trying to regulate your levels via meds" dance, and so far I still need to have labs drawn monthly because we haven't found a balance yet. I know this can cause energy levels to falter, but I sometimes wonder if the hyst triggered the thyroid problem, or whether that's just a ridiculous idea.

I do have some medical training, and my head is telling me that there's nothing wrong, I'm just overreacting, etc etc....but I sometimes wonder if my other symptoms (acne, limited hair loss, muscle aches, joint pain, inability to sleep) are pointing to something like CFS. Gosh, this is turning into a full whine - I'm sorry!

Anyway, the point of this was to ask if you've had your thyroid levels checked? Have they done a lupus test? I think a full workup is in order....there might be something behind it.

Good luck, many s and warm wishes,

Tess
(I've rambled far too long on this post..hehehe)
Unread 05-30-2003, 04:27 PM

Thanks for your replies, ladies. Hi Emily, I've missed you too! Haven't had a computer since November and I just got a new one a few weeks ago.

Yes, they did test my thyroid and it was normal. My last blood count was actually HIGH normal (first time that has happened in probably 20 years!!), so it isn't anemia.

As far as other specific tests, I am going to a dr. appt. the first week of July, and I'm going to ask her to just do it all. I have had other symptoms that make me feel afraid I might have some rheumatological problem (RA runs in my mom's side of the family), and also I want a six hour blood glucose, because diabetes also runs on that side of the family.

All I know is that I am so tired sometimes that I just sit here on the sofa and cry, and then I'm too tired to go to the bathroom to get a tissue, lol. I will try doing at least a little exercise, but it's so hard for me to get started on ANYTHING.

Anyways...thanks again for your posts, at least I know I'm not the only one!
Unread 05-30-2003, 04:42 PM

Hi (((((Allegra))))) I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time

You've already had some great input from the other sisters and, along with your own plans for your health, it should help point you in the right direction to get the answers you're looking for.

Aside from the full workup that I was also going to suggest, I was wondering if the cause of this lack of energy could be due to your insomnia issues? I also have insomnia, and it's getting worst since my hyst. Like you, I kept my ovaries and all my levels came back normal, when I was recently tested. However, I do know that lack of sleep or restless sleep can lead to lethergy and extreme fatigue, simply because our body can't get the rest it needs to rejuvenate. And the Ambien, even in this low dosage, might be compounding the problem: I know that, at one point in my life, the insomnia got so bad that it was causing me to miss too many days of work, so I asked for sleeping aids. While the sleeping aide would help me go back to sleep when I woke up in the middle of the night, I would wake up feeling leaden... in the end, I stopped taking the pills and looked for another solution to my problem (I think I used essential oils to calm me down and favor sleep).

Sending lots of healing s your way and hoping that, very soon, you find a solution to your problems. Please keep us posted.
Unread 05-31-2003, 09:28 AM

Hi Allegra, same here my tah was march 2002, and now I am having or experiencing arrythmia , low blood sugar, low blood pressure and not gaining weight. but the weight part has been around all my life, never could gain weight, only 8lbs when pregnant. Had my hormones tested at first the estrogen was non exsistent, then was taking menest, then had too much estrogen. Now am seeing endocrinologist for the low blood sugar and possibly addisons disease. ang
Unread 06-02-2003, 06:09 AM
(((( Allegra))))) Gio my friend!

Hey Sistahhh!!!! Boy have I missed you! I'm so sorry you are still having issue's... I have had my share as well... I've had two surgeries since my hyst... My most recent last week... But I seem to be doing better... I like you am just so tired. My two surgeries being 4 weeks apart may have something to do with it.... We'll see...

You have alot on your plate as well, so this can be adding to your fatigue... How is life for you? November was a long time ago!

As for the excersize thing, visit Hysteritaville The Safari Resort and Fitness Center board of this site, you can get some support for working out, etc... Another great place for support...

It is so good to hear from you... I was wondering how you were... Take care sis....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register