Have any of you done physical therapy for your pelvic floor ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have any of you done physical therapy for your pelvic floor ? Have any of you done physical therapy for your pelvic floor ?

Unread 05-30-2003, 10:11 AM
Have any of you done physical therapy for your pelvic floor ?

Hi ladies:

I recently went to a new urologist for my IC, since the pain has become out of controll. He has prescribed pelvic floor physical therapy. I am just curious what this is, maybe they have you do kegels or something ? I am going to call my Ins. Co. today & get this all set up.
Thanks for any input any of you might have

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2003, 10:24 AM

I had been thinking about asking my GYN about this at my next appt. I have not seen a lot of women on this site say they have been, but on a Prolapse website it seems many of them have. Thay discuss this pretty often. I guess you could do a search on that site. It is called Choice for Prolapse. Apparently in addition to testing your pelvic floor strength, the PTs show you how to Kegel properly and the right and wrong way to exercise, and how to live your life to avoid further problems. I am really interested because my surgery was for prolapse and incontinece and I would like to protect my repairs. Hope this works out for you.
Unread 05-30-2003, 11:13 AM

Hi, Ladies! I did 12 sessions of PT for pelvic floor spasms. My PT used biofeedback to show that I was not relaxing the muscles in the pelvic floor, a reaction to carrying around a fibroid ladden uterus for 2+ yrs. It pressed on my bladder so I constantly felt like I had to go--or clench up those muscles to keep from going.

To keep a long story short, the biofeedback involved placing some sticky pads that were wired to her computer on some various muscle groups. She had me "work" that group (contract), then relax. The computer would interpret this into a graph line that would rise when I worked, then decline when I relaxed--or rather my version of relax which really wasn't relaxed at all. The goal of therapy was to show me how to relax those muscles. She gave me a set of exercises to do at home, mostly just some gentle stretches and very light strengthening moves (yes, Kegels were part of it ). She also did some deep massage & heat ultrasound to help stretch out the post-surgical adhesions (and some adhesions left over from my c-section 9 years ago).

Thank goodness for a who recognized my pain symptoms for what they were and got me to the right place.

Good luck to you! I hope it works for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2003, 08:17 PM
I just started PT

Hi,
I have recently started seeing a women's health physical therapist. I have several problems to be worked on. I have multiple muscles in and around my pelvis that are extremely tender and tight...some may be causing my on-going pelvic pain since the TAH - it is unclear but it may be....my pelvis is grossly out of alignment which is now causing me functional scoliosis, hip pain, and the arch of my left foot to fall... The PT's plan is to do massage and the biofeedback for the muscle problems, and exercises and manipulation for the alignment trouble.

The PT thinks that the bladder problems I am having (which the gyn thought might be IC but they are not) are possibly due to the tight and spasming muscles near the bladder. Everytime I have any kind of pelvic exam my bladder goes haywire and I feel like I have to go to the bathroom constantly. She told me it is not unusual when you have pelvic pain all the time to end up with tight pelvic floor muscles as a result.

Best of luck with the PT. Keep us posted as I am anxious to hear how it works for you. I will do the same.

Sblumen
Unread 05-30-2003, 11:20 PM

Thanks ladies

I do appreciate the info - thats very interesting, some of the stuff they do. And I never realized that pelvic pain (which I have plenty of) makes your muscles tense up, which makes perfect sense. I have never heard of this being prescribed for IC - but hey - I'm willing to do anything if it will help ! I think I will also go on the IC network & check it out on there, I have been on that site a couple times.
Thanks again girls - will keep you updated

Susan
Unread 05-31-2003, 07:19 AM

((((Susan))))

I want to wish you luck with this treatment sweetie. My pain docs mentiond doing it when I first started at the clinic...but then they found all sorts of other things to keep them busy I do believe that it will be in my medical future though...

I look forward to hearing about your treatments...and I am hopeful that it will help you my dear.

Take Care and let us know....S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register