Urinary symptoms and fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urinary symptoms and fibroids Urinary symptoms and fibroids

Unread 05-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Urinary symptoms and fibroids

Hi all,

I have a little problem that I was hoping to get some insight on before pre-op appointment with Dr. on Tuesday. Lately I have had an increase in urinary symptoms, namely dribbling, stress incontinence and frequency. I always had minor problems when coughing or laughing really hard but these are occurring now when I'm just sitting watching T.V.

Has anyone else had an increase in these symptoms due to fibroid size (I'm not sure of the sizes but I have been told I have multiple fibroids)?

While in surgery, if Dr. would do a bladder tacking, would that help with the incntinence?

Any info I can get from the sisters would be appreciated so I can go in to my appointment with ideas in mind.

Thanks,
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2003, 09:35 PM

(((((Kim))))))))),

I don't have bladder problems but if I did I would certainly tell my Dr at the pre op so he can advise you about your options.

I hope you will have a great surgery and recovery!!!!

Pamcat
Unread 05-31-2003, 12:27 AM
Bladder woes

It all depends on what is causing your incontinence. There are many different causes to bladder problems. Some stress incontinence is caused by prolapse bladder or ureatha, some are caused by bladder spasms and other incontinence is caused by nerve damage. I have two problems, I have a huge bladder prolapse but also have nerve damage. My bladder doesn't contract very well (I also can't feel fullness or the urge to go) and have high urine retention. I tend (like an old man) to dribble. I am having a bladder sling (Burch suspension), which will fix the prolapse, but it won't fix the nerve damage.
I would suggest that you talk with your doctor about it. They would probably do further testing (urodynamics) to determine the cause of the incontinence. Good Luck

Levanah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2003, 06:59 AM
Big Fibroids and Tinkling

PB,
I am scheduled for a TAH June 27 for multiple large fibroids. Mine were so large that I was having to go to the bathroom about 4 times during the nite and usually every 20 minutes during the day. My doctor started me on Lupron two months ago to shrink the fibroids prior to surgery. The fibroids have reduced in size and I do not have any urinary issues now. (Unfortunately Lupron is not a long term option due to bone loss). It sounds like surgery will eliminate your problems. Good Luck!
Kathy
Unread 05-31-2003, 09:55 AM

I was having the same type of urinary problems before my surgery. Now I am happy to say that without that 10 cm. (4") fibroid sitting on top of my bladder, the problem is completely gone. I can laugh and sneeze with absolutely no dribbling. I don't have the urgency to get to the bathroom that I did before. Although I still get a bit of swelly belly by the end of the day, my tummy generally feels smaller and softer. The pressure and weight that I had before the surgery are gone. I put off having my TAH for the fibroids for over 3 years, and finally did it because I had developed a problem in the cervix, but I am happy that I had it done. I didn't really realize some the the problems and discomfort the fibroids were causing until they were gone.

You should mention the urinary problem to your doctor. Good luck to you. Hopefully, you will have the same relief of your urinary problems as I have.
Unread 05-31-2003, 11:16 AM

I don't suffer from stress incontinence but I have urgency incontinence. I had urodynamics testing done last summer to rule out that I didn't have stress incontinence (I had already known that). Urodynamics did show that I do have a cystocele that will have to dealt with by surgery in about 5 years.

I do have several small fibroids and this sounds strange but it seems like my uterus is sitting right on top of my bladder at certain times of the month.

DO talk to your doctor about all this. I also see a urologist on a yearly basis but it was my gyn that really diagnosed my really bad incontinence problems (I actually feel more confident with my gynecologist than I do my urologist).

Debbie
Unread 05-31-2003, 12:16 PM
Urinary symptoms/fibroids

I also have the large multiple fibroid activity in there and I do not have any leakage, but there is an increase in frequency of urination and a sense of urgency comes on fairly suddenly...I am guessing that the fibroids have been forcing all the organs and parts to operate in a smaller, irregular space and that that might be the reason for these symptoms. For this I will be having a hysterectomy done abdominally and so I am trusting the whole thing to my family doctor and the gynecologist he has chosen with the request of keeping my ovaries if they are clear of disease. Having a scientific curiousity makes me wish I could be a fly on the wall in the operating room so that I could see for myself and advise the surgeon on my preferred approach while I am 'open' however that's not possible and so I'm going to TRUST that this is all going to work, they know exactly what they're doing and there's a good chance I'm going to feel better.

Meanwhile, that leaves me time for my own bizarre thoughts...My surgery is on Friday the 13th, I so I am getting myself prepared by obsessing about recovery and of course my predominant thought, post-mortem...having the carpets cleaned, getting my flowering baskets looking great, manicure, pedicure, hugging everyone, being appreciative for all I've had in my life, organizing my business for my absence, showing my husband 'the bills', keeping everything in the house clean and being extra caring to my family and friends. Words to songs seem to have different meaning now and mundane things such as taking out the garbage seem to hold a greater symbolic meaning...

Just venting....
Unread 05-31-2003, 01:52 PM

Go ahead and vent. I love this board for that!!!!! You are having your surgery on Friday the 13th? Man I would be scared to death to have mine on that date!!!! My mother's birthday is also on your surgery day too. You are so lucky that you surgery is almost here. Good luck and vent all you want.

Debbie
Unread 05-31-2003, 02:34 PM

Thanks all for the info and advice. To all the other ladies with surgery coming up good luck and prayers for all.

Kim
Unread 05-31-2003, 05:09 PM
urinary symptoms and fibroids

Hello:

This was one of the main reasons I had my TAH. I didn't really have leakage, but I could never quite empty my bladder, as the fibroid uterus was just sitting on top of the bladder.

After the surgery was over and the removed the catheter I went to the bathroom. And for the first time, I could actually feel my bladder emptying completely!

I would imagine that the hyst will help you as well.

Caryn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register