Any ideas for dealing with playful puppy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any ideas for dealing with playful puppy? Any ideas for dealing with playful puppy?

Unread 05-31-2003, 01:40 PM
Any ideas for dealing with playful puppy?

I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on June 9, 2003. My main concern for my post-op recovery at home is our dc's (darling canines). We have a greyhound mix, a pug, and a 9 month old Border Collie.

The concern stems from the fact that the big border collies job every morning is to run into our bedroom and leap onto me and kiss me awake.

Now I know that I can keep the door shut, but we also have an 8 year old DS who may forget to keep the door closed. My tummy muscles just tense up when I imagine Pepper leaping onto my future incision!

Anyone elso have this issue? Any suggestions, recommendations, thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2003, 03:02 PM

Hi Diana --

We had two dogs when I had my hyst and one was a young puppy.

I kept a pillow on my tummy and tried to teach the puppy that the pillow was "NO" meaning she wasn't supposed to get on it.
It wasn't completely successful but at least when she did land on me it didn't hurt. She got me pretty good once when I wasn't expecting it and used my tummy for a springboard to jump off the bed......it brought tears to my eyes, so you'd be wise to put some kind of plan into action when you get home from the castle.

I was concerned about the same thing as you. My older dog sensed right off that something wasn't right about me and was very gentle and caring and didn't leave my side for two weeks. But the younger one was such a baby at the time that she wasn't aware of anything but herself and her need to play!

Good luck to you --
Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 05-31-2003, 04:06 PM

Diana
I have a Greyhound that sounds like your pup, what about putting a puppy gate in the doorway, that way your dog can see you?? For some reason my Emma new I was hurting and is doing good. We also have a Pug "Onie" but she is blind, I have to herd her using my back scratcher and she can get under-foot, poor nanna is creaping up in age. Best of luck 's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2003, 05:08 PM

Hi Diana
I too have a dog black lab that also jumps on the bed. Thanks for the thought. I am having a TAH/BSO and this was one thing that I haven't laid awake at night thinking about. The pillow sounds like it worked pretty good. Maybe with my dog being 8 years old she will sense something is wrong. I am also open to any suggestions.
Mariann
Unread 05-31-2003, 09:54 PM
playful pups and pillows

Hi Diana...I too, worried about my dog, who only weighs 9 lbs., but LOVES to jump on my lap, and cuddle with me, whether on a chair, or in our bed. I had to use a pillow, and really felt that I couldn't say no to her, after all, she is so spoiled, and for the 5 years of her life, so far, she is allowed to pretty much rule the house. She got used to the pillow, and also, was sensing to be more gentle around me. My surgery recovery went well, and now I don't even hold my tummy when I sneeze. Yahoo !! Did you know that you and I live in the same town ? Not sure if you got my email, please let me know. I know your surgery date is soon, and I'll be praying for you. xo Linda
Unread 05-31-2003, 10:12 PM

Hi Diana,

I had a similar issue, but with my cats. I was worried about the cats jumping on my tummy, and I also had a catheter for a week after I got home and was afraid that the kitties might think it was an excellent cat toy! My husband and I decided to check them into the "Pets Hotel" for a week after I got home from the hospital. For us, this worked out perfectly. Maybe a friend could look after your dogs for a week or so? Good luck to you!

Beth
Unread 06-01-2003, 01:39 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I bought a big body pillow today, so hopefully that will come in handy in the bed. One thing we thought of today is to schedule our pup for her "operation" (snorfle)- maybe if she has an incision she won't be so jumpy. We could recover together! LOL!

Linda- got you email, I will try to respond tonight!
Ding- Oh, poor little onie! Have you read the book about Clara the pug?
Unread 06-01-2003, 01:41 AM

Hmmmm- what is a snorfle? I meant to type, snorfle. I guess it's time to stop and go to bed!
Unread 06-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Hi Spokane sister

I was happy to hear from you Diana. If you would rather call me, my home phone is *******. For some unknown reason, I am suffering from a left side temple headache, and have had it for the past 2 weeks. I had a CAT scan last week on it, and guess it shows normal, but, even with drugs ordered, I still continually have it. I am going to lay down for an hour, and see if a little shut eye will help. Hope we will talk later. If email is more comfortable for you, that's fine too. I liked your suggestion about having your dog snorfleed too, and someone who monitors this site,also retyped my word to that snorfle thing too - what's wrong with using the correct word ? Hmmm, well, until next time.
Hugs and prayers, Linda xo

Edited phone number for privacy/security. Please use email button below.
Unread 06-01-2003, 02:11 PM

Diana
SNORFLE???? I needed that today!!! I'm picturing you walking around your house like the Charmen TP girl. No I have not read "Clara the Pug", I will look for it , not only is Onie blind she is HOH and has Sundowners!
Thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register