Happy NCS Day! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Happy NCS Day! Happy NCS Day!

Unread 06-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Happy NCS Day!

Today is National Cancer Survivors Day, which I would never have dreamed to note with more than a passing glance. Now I am wishing myself and all a happy and thankful day!

with love,
Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Happy NCS Day!

Ditto here!

I must say that after last week's chemo treatment (my first) and my radiation simulation this past Wednesday, I really do feel like a "survivor". I like the moniker. I'll keep it.

Love to all.
Unread 06-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Also a Survivor

I will be celebrating my three-year anniversary since surgery tomorrow. Last doc visit was good. Next one scheduled for November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2003, 01:45 PM
A Great NCS Celebration!

One of my National Cancer Survivors Celebrations was today at the local hospital cancer center. Governor McGreevey spoke and reiterated his commitment to cancer prevention, education, despite a continuing state budget deficit. He has a long-standing track record of putting his money where his mouth is as far as cancer is concerned. It was nice surprise as this is the first year that he has spoken at the Survivors' Day party.

The keynote speaker was Christine Clifford, an 8-year breast cancer survivor and author of "Not Now, I'm Having a No Hair Day," as well as numerous other cancer-related books, tapes, etc. She is the founder of the Cancer Club whose website is www.cancerclub.com in case anyone wants to check it out. She believes in incorporating humor in the cancer journey, and had a number of funny stories to tell.

It was a truly wonderful, inspirational day. Christine said she is so happy now when she can say, "I'm having a bad hair day" instead of "I'm having a no hair day!!"

Hope everyone is enjoying their NCS celebrations to the fullest!

MoeKay
Unread 06-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Forgot to Say Treatment

In line 3 of my message above, I left out the words "and treatment" after "prevention and education." The governor would not be too happy with me if I were to misrepresent the content of his speech!

MoeKay
Unread 06-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Another Survivor Here

since 3/28/01. But...our ACS again did nothing here and were it not for the internet I would not know. Big big spread though on the Komen breast cancer race yesterday. I admit to getting upset and mad sometimes--women get gynecological cancers too, but as to awareness & publicity...zilch. Ellen
Unread 06-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Happy NCS Day!

Happy Survivors Day All. Not even a mention in our local or regional newspapers. Perhaps some day that will change.

Ruth S
Unread 06-01-2003, 04:32 PM
Race for the Place

The Gathering Place, a cancer support center in the Eastern Cleveland Suburb of Beachwood, had a RACE FOR THE PLACE at Beachwood Mall, in conjunction with the American Cancer Society. Survivors were runners. I just saw it on the news. I have never been to The Gathering Place because it is too far to drive on a regular basis from where I live. I would like to go and see the center.
Unread 06-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Happy NCS Day!

I attended the National Cancer Survivors' Day celebration at a Wellness Community here in So Cal. Though I've just completed three chemo treatments, I already consider myself a survivor. I'm responding to chemo, I feel totally healthy and strong, I'm hiking three miles a day, and I know -- with God's help -- that I will beat this thing.

Right when I got there, a woman rushed up to me to tell me how "glamorous" I looked. Since I have no hair, I was happy for the compliment. I guess black clothes, and black cap and some dark lipstick can do a lot for a bald girl. ;-)

It was wonderful to see all the "30-year survivor" and "5-year-survivor" groups stand up and be recognized. The final group was "currently undergoing treatment," and we got a nice round of applause when we stood up.

I agree with Ellen: It would be even more wonderful if gynecological cancers -- which seem to be on the rise -- got more publicity and attention. It did seem, though, that everyone I met at the celebration (with one exception) had struggled with breast cancer. I guess percentages drive involvement. But that doesn't mean we can't keep trying!

I did notice a letter from the president that had been enlarged and was hanging on a door inside. So at least there was some governmental recognition.

We are all survivors! Hugs to every cancer survivor on this board!
Unread 06-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Happy NCS Day!

Happy Survivors Day to everyone!!

Next week I will be attending a "Celebration Of Life" party at the hospital where I had surgery and was treated with chemo. It is a special party for cancer survivors and I am looking forward to it.
My friend and her husband are also going. He just finished chemo and radiation for non hodgkins lymphoma.

Next year Maureenie will be coming with me!!!!!

Take care all..

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register