smokers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:01 AM
smokers

HI Just wondering what happened to those I talked to a while ago about quitting smoking when having surgery. I know there were a few of us that had not had a cig since the day of surgery. Just to let you know, I have not had one for 4 weeks. I can't believe it. Never thought I could do it. I still get the urge but it goes away!!!!!I got a cold about 2 1/2 wks post and was wondering if this is common after quitting. I am still coughing up junk, but I guess that is normal. Also, I am so afraid of gaining weight. I can't afford to put on any extra. I did finally step on the scales and surprise, I was actually 2 lbs less than before surgery. I'm not sure that will last. Anyone have experience with the weight gain thing. I'd like to hear from others who have had good luck in quitting smoking and what things you have had to put up with during the process and your success rate. :dance2: Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2003, 09:21 AM
smokers

I didn't quit (didn't have to) but just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS GIRL! You go.
:
A good friend of mine quit this winter after smoking for 20 years, so after 'going' through it with her - I somewhat understand the feat you have accomplished!
Unread 06-02-2003, 09:27 AM
smokers

Congratulations on quitting smoking! Yes, getting a cold and a cough is common after quitting -- you're lungs are clearing out.

I actually didn't gain weight when I quit, and I have a tendency to. I focused on exercise and drinking lots of water. Every time I had a cigeratte urge, I drank a full glass of water. That kept me full and away from binging. Also, as my lungs cleared out, exercising was a lot more enjoyable.

Also -- the one thing that really helped me stay on course. I took the money I used to buy cigarettes with and saved it to use for pampering me: to buy things I might not otherwise because they were too expensive, go on vacation, etc. Amazing how fast money added up, and that was over 10 years ago. I did that for over a year -- made me see how I was just wasting money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2003, 10:00 AM
smokers

Hi Nighthawk,

I'm so PROUD of you for not starting up again!!! I still haven't been able to quit entirely, but I'M down to only a few cigarettes a day! Much less than I was smoking before surgery (almost 2 packs a day! I know - Yuk1)

As far as weight goes, as I've cut back, I have lost weight not gained it. I know a lot of people gain, but I started on the slim fast diet after surgery and have so far lost 24 pounds

Keep up the good work :dance2:!!

Sending you a big

Patty
Unread 06-02-2003, 10:03 AM
smokers

((((((((((((Nighthawk)))))))))))),

CONGRATULATIONS

I am proud of you!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work !!!!!

I will have quit 1 year ago on the 27th of this month!!!!!!!!

It was hard , every time I wanted a cig I would picture myself with oxygen shoved up my nose, not a pretty picture at all !!!!!!!!!

I have lost the couple pounds I gained , just went back to my normal eating habits.

At about 1 month I developed a bad taste in my mouth , it went away after about 1 1/2 months so hang in if you do too. And you will cough ,it is your lungs clearing as Randir said.

Best wishes on a cig free future,

It is a toss up if my quitting cigs or my hyst is the best I ever did for myself. Luckily I did both!!!!!!!!!
You can too!!!!!!!!!!

Pamcat
Unread 06-02-2003, 04:14 PM
smokers

Thanks for all your support. You're right, the thought of oxygen was a scary thing too. I hope everyone stays off the cigs as I hope I do too.
Unread 06-02-2003, 05:36 PM
I quit too

It was 2 years ago this coming thursday. I used the Nicaderm CQ and it worked. But you have to want to quit that is the key. I am now 42 and have smoked since i was probably 16. I told myself "self if you are still smoking at 40 it's time to give it up". And that was a promise i made to myself and stuck to it. Of course my daughter the RN .was riding my butt too, not to mention my younger daughter and hubby too. But i do understand it is a hard habit to break. But you can do it. When you have the urge like randir said drink water or just get up and do something till the urge goes away. And start a piggy bank and put the money in it that you would normally spend on the cigs with and watch how fast it grows. Best of luck to you, you CAN do it. As as for the weight gain sorry to say i did gain about 14 pounds. But everyone said i was too thin and now i look healthy and i really do feel better.
As for my hyster i will be 2 week post this wed. and so gald I did it. And again the key is to take it easy, i over did it on this past Saturday and paid for it on Sunday. Had to lay in bed all day and was back on the pain pills.
Good luck.
Unread 06-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Not Smoking!!

Way to go Nighthawk!! You keep up the excellent work. I know how it felt as I quit smoking Oct 28. Even now an urge may pop-up, but then some-one will walk by me that has just had a cigarette, and wow do they smell bad! I can't believe that I was the same way!

High Fives to you and keep up the super work!!
Unread 06-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Smoking

Hi Hyster - sister,

I quit smoking April 14, 2003 ( the day of my surgery ) I had cut down to a pack a week, not smoking all day. I bought a fake cigarette ( 2 for .49 ) cheaper than almost $5.00 a pack. I am doing ok, I am after all still post-op. I smoked for 43 years , thats right 43 years!! If I can do anyone can do it. I just keep telling myself it's poison putting cig's into your mouth and body. I read it only takes 7 seconds for 31 different chemicals to enter your body, including carbon-dioxide and fermelgahide. Do I want to smoke , of course I do,but I am determined I will win the battle.

[email protected]
Unread 06-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Still Not Smoking Here

Hi Ya'll: I had my last cig on October 28 as well!!! To make a long story short....I had a scare with a chest x-ray (even my Mom battling lung cancer for 5 years now didn't make me stop) that turned out to be old scar tissue from pnumonia (sp?) and that made me put them down. I don't even have the urge to smoke. It's been over 7 months and like some of you, I have 4 things I did that was the best for me. My 4 are: quitting smoking, having a hyst, having a bladder sling and quitting my stressful job. Anyhow, I am trying to lose some weight now. Not any that I've gained since not smoking....some excess baggage I already had, lol. I figure I can do anything I set my mind to. I am so happy so many of us have taken this step as well. I found this site after my surgery but have received so many blessings from the posts. Hope ya'll feel better today than yesterday and congrats to those who have quit and those who are trying.

LaDonna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register