borderline ovarian cancer - hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

borderline ovarian cancer - hysterectomy borderline ovarian cancer - hysterectomy

Unread 06-03-2003, 10:45 PM
borderline ovarian cancer - hysterectomy

Hello, I'm new to this site. Last year I was diagonsosed with LMP borderline ovarian cancer and endometrisois (in the same surgery). Because I'm single and young (34) with no children drs decided not to perform a hysterectomy right away. Drs recommended I have hysterectomy before age 40. I've decided I'm not planning on having children and the dr is pushing me to have the hysterectomy even though the prognosis is excellent as this type rarely reoccurs. I've had some problems which do not indicate any cancer problems according to the dr, but..., U/S is good, pelvic exams are fine and CA125 not a good marker for me. So, I think it's time for the surgery but...
I have concerns about HRT and my dr. (he's a good surgeon but could use help in the bedside manner department!) very point blankly stated he would NOT perform my hysterectomy if I didn't take HRT. Also, I'm actually scared to have the hysterectomy. It seems foolish that I had cancer and need to have this surgery at some point but... I guess I don't know what to expect with menapause. It seems foolish but I'm worried I'm going to age faster - my hairs going to turn gray, I'm going to shrink, etc...

I'd be grateful for any advice.
Thanks.
Chelan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2003, 10:58 PM

I am 34 as well. I am lucky enough to have one child but the decision to have anymore was taken away from me two years ago. I had two ruptured ectopic pregnancies (2 months apart) so I cannot concieve naturally anyway.

My pain and bleeding got too bad agains so my options were for me to have lap surgery every couple of years to remove the endo or go for a hyst and be done with it. Of course I opted for the later and have no regrets. I want my life back!!

I am also going on HRT as they are taking my ovaries (because if you keep them endo can return this was my personal choice but advised by gyny). Can you keep your ovaries?

Can I ask why you do not want HRT? I have no problems I even think I may feel better on it as my hormones have always been out of whack?

Hope you can talk some of the issues through with your doctor or else I would look for a second opinion.

It is your body in the end they should only be guiding and advising you.

Good luck
Unread 06-03-2003, 11:10 PM

Hi Kath,
No, I can't keep my remaining ovary. Drs. removed one ovary last year as it had the tumor and because of the ovarian cancer I have to have the complete hysterectomy. Borderline cancers have a tendancy to be estrogren receptive and although my prognosis is excellent now, if the cancer returned or spread there is no treatment for borderline cancer as chemo doesn't work on slow growing cancers. So, I don't want to tempt the cancer back with HRT. There is also a history of breast cancer in my family.

Chelan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2003, 10:17 AM

I had the same situation last year. Im 34 y.o. and after my left ovary was removed, they determined it was LMP. I didn't have plans to have children and was nervous about waiting. So I had a radical hyst. 2 months later and have to say it went better than I ever expected.

I did lose a little hair after the surgeries, but not extreme and it still 99% it's original color. I have only 2 minor complications, but they aren't something that affect my quality of life:

1. Some lymphedema (swelling, numb) in my thighs since they removed alot of lymph nodes. I only notice discomfort if I wear tight clothing for along time.

2. Some stomach/heartburn issues. It is only a minor hassle if I get stressed or don't eat well.

My Dr. strongly recommended I take estrogen, so am on a Vivelle-type patch and at .50 mg now. I discussed with him all my concerns and he said the most important reason for HRT was keep my bones strong, so I'll be on the patch until I reach the age of normal menopause (another 12-15 years).

I also didn't have any other specific indicators (CA-125 was only 19 at the time they found my tumor. And even at the original surgery the biopsy showed it was benign).

It's nice to meet someone going thru the same thing, so if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me! Good luck with your decision!
Unread 06-04-2003, 02:36 PM

Hi Chel

No you are not going to go gray or shrink or shrivel up...lol

I personally feel that menopause is what you make of it. I can understand your feelings but in my case menopause meant, no more periods, no more bleeding, wearing light colored clothes whenever, no more carrying tampons just in case, and all kinds of stuff like that. It has actually given me freedom if you can understand that.

Hope all works out well.

Rosalie
Unread 06-04-2003, 04:37 PM
HRT

Chelan,

Pipervlh mentions a little hair loss after her surgeries. That most likely had nothing to do with hormones / HRT. Anesthesia causes some hair loss. You'll notice a little more hair than usual washing out for a while after surgery. How much depends on how long you're "under". It will stop.

After my hyst at age 43 I was on Premarin for about 13 years. Did fine on it. But last November I was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ. (Some doctors call it pre-cancer and some stage 0. I think of it as very very very early breast cancer. Cancer, including breast cancer, is not in my family. I "got lucky".) I stopped taking Premarin the day I got the diagnosis. That was very close to my 56th birthday. I probably would have been through menopause by then? Anyway, when I stopped HRT the only menopause symptom I had was a couple of months of night sweats. Nothing else.

With breast cancer in your family and your concern about your own cancer, I too would give careful thought to taking HRT or not.

As for the hyst surgery -- you read about so many problems Sisters have had because of it. I breezed through it. No pain or problems during surgery, recuperation, or in the years after. And best of all, no more Aunt Flo.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mary D.
Unread 06-04-2003, 06:38 PM
borderline

I had a hysterectomy for a borderline ovarian malignancy 7 weeks ago. It really wasn't that bad. My recovery has gone well. I went through menopause naturally at 39 so HRT was not an issue now. I was on it for a while earlier, but also was uncomfortable with risks. There is evista and some natural remedies you could look into. I know it's hard being so young. We are very lucky to have the borderline diagnosis and for me the hysterectomy and ovary removal went smoothly. I wish you the best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register