Hot Flashes...What do you take???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot Flashes...What do you take???? Hot Flashes...What do you take????

Unread 06-04-2003, 09:03 AM
Hot Flashes...What do you take????

Hi sisters!
It has been a long time since I have posted....I have missed it! But I finally feel like I am getting my life somewhat back. I had my tahbso last April and took low dose estrogen for oly a couple of months and have been off any hormone for the last 6 months. These hot flashes are really getting me down.....Could you please share with me what you do for relief......my endocrinologist told me last week that catapres patches (a blood pressure med) works pretty good for post breast cancer patients..Anyone out there tried it? Anyone try anti depressants? Thanks for your replies!
Halogirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2003, 01:12 PM

If you aren't looking to take hormones, the no-hormone desert oasis has some helpful hints. Being a cancer concern you must be careful and discuss with your DR before taking anything. My DR is HRT pushing, but said if I went an alternate route to stay away from Black Cohash. She didn't tell me why. It seems to be used by a lot of ladies. I'm am reading a book now by a lady who has a large history of breast cancer in her family and didn't want to take HRT. She is taking black cohash and Vitamin E. She seems to take a lot. She takes 800 mg of vit.E. But please check with your DR first. Good luck!
Unread 06-04-2003, 02:23 PM

Hi Halo...

I too had a hysterectomy last April but at this point the hot flashes have kinda stopped. They do come and go occassionally and I just deal with it. Usually my worst time is at night.. covers on covers off, ceiling fan on...ceiling fan off....that kind of stuff.

I personally am not in favor of hormone replacements so I just went natural.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Sweatshirt on, sweatshirt off, socks on,

socks off...I had my TAH/BSO on 3/7 and my dr told me I couldn't take HRT. I bought myself one of those little battery operated fans. I can't wait for the hot weather....! Let me know if there are any answers to this...off/on, off/on...
Unread 06-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Flax seeds, soy products

When I take the above faithfully, my hot flashes goes away. Found this info on the net:

Scandinavian researchers found that daily exercise can ward off hot flashes, while improving bone density and energy levels. Enough could not be said regarding the profound benefits that an exercise regimen can have.

Soy seems to be a key ingredient in a successful menopausal management diet, warding off hot flashes and other complaints.

Soy contains a type of protein that mimics the body's estrogen.

However, unlike ERT, which has been linked to breast cancer, soy appears to be protective against this common cancer.

Other foods that contain similar components are fennel, apples, rye, flax seeds and alfalfa.
Unread 06-04-2003, 10:24 PM

I take Effexor 75mg once a day for hot flashes and it has helped. I am also on testosterone 1mg (for libido)and that has REALLY helped the flashes (more than the libido). I also take some black cohosh. It appears to be contraindicated for estrogen positive tumors as it is a phytoestrogen, or something like that.
I feel for you, I really do.
Diane
Unread 06-05-2003, 05:07 AM

Sorry you have been suffering. I had my op in March last year and won't take soy etc cos of the estrogen link.

I find that it is essential to drink lots of water (4 pints - or 8 glasses - per day) and to take as much exercise as possible. However, the most helpful thing for me has been doing breathing exercises - I can get rid of a hot flush quickly every time just by concentrating on filling my lungs to capacity! Try it!

Chris.
Unread 06-05-2003, 06:41 AM

I can"t take HRT or any alternative substances because of a history of DVT & cancer and a family history of breast cancer. I do take a 400mcg Vit E daily as well as a multiple vitamin. My hot flashes are generally not too bothersome. Just as Rosalie stated its off & on with the blankets, socks, sweaters, etc. Compared to cancer, this is a minor bother.

Ruth S
Unread 06-07-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the replies!!

My computer has been on the blink so I have not been able to be on-line for the last couple of days......I started the calapres patch on Wed and have had considerable relief in the flashes.....I hope it will continue....if so the patch will be my new best friend!

halogirl
Unread 06-07-2003, 12:03 PM

Interesting that so many of you say that exercise helps ward off the flashes. I've been doing three-mile hikes in the morning and my hot flashes have lessened considerably. I had no idea why, but . . . the exercise link seems to make sense.

My clinical nutrionist recommended that I not use black cohosh. Not sure why. He just said to avoid it for now, so I wrote that down and we moved on. I do find that if I eat sugar or something with caffeine in it (chocolate, etc.) that I get flashy. I haven't been eating much soy, but only because I've forgotten to buy any. I can't take Vitamin E right now because my chemo doctor says no.

My temp control problems are also worse at night. But I seem to be able to manage them by throwing the blankets on and off, wearing long sleeves or a tank top, etc.

Since my counts are so low right now, the nurses told me to stop hiking. No long walks, nothing strenuous. Sigh. Will have to see if the flashiness returns.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register