Radiation and Chemo Update | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation and Chemo Update Radiation and Chemo Update

Unread 06-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Radiation and Chemo Update

Hi, Ladies. Just wanted to bring you all up to speed. I met with my medical oncologist yesterday and we discussed my future chemo treatments. I was happy to find out that I won't need to do future chemo overnight in hospital. Round 2 is on Friday, 6/13 (oh, but I'm not superstitious!!). I think we'll all be better prepared for the next session.

I still have my hair but expect this will start coming out in another few days. When the first hairs do start coming out, I'm off to the salon for shaving! A really cute wig is ready. I saw my 9 year old nephew yesterday. (All my nieces and nephews know what's coming.) Well, he took an extra second or to to look at my hair just to check if it was the "real thing". Then he told me that my hair looked good! He is such a sweet, sensitive boy!

As for the radiation, I had my initial simulation last week -- you MUST have a sense of humor if you're going to go through that process! I had a plastic thing inserted into my vagina and taped to my legs so it wouldn't work itself out, was positioned, straightened, marked, tattooed and photographed to boot. Wow! Hope those pics don't end up on the Internet (lol)! Film verification and first treatment start tomorrow and then, daily for 5 1/2 weeks. I'm feel good about all this getting underway. I feel like I, too, am a soldier in this aggressive fight against this cancer.

I saw a friend of mine today who went through chemo several years ago for breast cancer. She shared something great with me that I'd like to pass on: She always said that no matter how awful she might have felt during her treatment for b.c., she kept thinking, "Imagine how those cancer cells must feel!" I thought that was great!

And finally, my STD time away from work is coming to an end. I'll be starting back at work on 6/16 but for the vast majority of time while I'm undergoing treatment, I'll be working from home. Normally, I commute into NYC. But with add'l fatigue and possible impaired blood counts from the chemo, my fellow commuters will just have to do without me!

Love to all and God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Maureenie

Wishing you the very best with the chemo and radiation. I've heard that simulations are "interesting" to say the least. But they're very important to get y ou lined up for the real thing. As for those cancer cells, any that dared remain are in for a double whammy and won't know what hit them.
Unread 06-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Maureenie, good luck with your treatments!

You sound so brave and strong. Keep up the fight! I imagined the radiation as Ms.Pac Man devouring the bad cells. I start chemo on the 23rd.
I will be thinking of you on the 16th!! and sending you prayers and love...

p.s.: I grew up in Long Island - Valley Stream. Moved away a long time ago. Still miss the beach!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2003, 03:09 AM

Just wanted to wish you a very successful treatment,Maureenie!

I can relate to your description of that ''sim'' ... you have a great attitude!

Take care and try to get plenty of rest when you can.

Best Wishes , Maggie.
Unread 06-05-2003, 05:56 AM

Hey Maureen...

Must be that cheery Massapequa attitude that we have!! LOL
I am soo glad that things are looking better and working out for you.

You are sooo sooo right when you said that sometimes you just have to laught about things. Laughter is the best medicine and it brought me through many a tough time.

Your next chemo Will be a breeze. Say Hi to all the nurses there for me.

Will let you know how the party at the hospital goes on Saturday.

Feel Good!!

Rosalie
Unread 06-05-2003, 06:34 AM

Maureenie
Good thoughts as you do your 2nd Chemo. May there be no reactions or side effects. Thanks for the description of the radiology prep. I had no experience with that.

Ruth S
Unread 06-05-2003, 09:23 AM

Maureenie,
Thank you so much for your post! I'm going for radiation planning tomorrow. My chemo and radiation start June 16th. It's so nice to hear about what to expect. I knew tattooing was involved, but no one said anything about taping and inserting, etc. Your positive attitude is such an inspiration and I like your reminder about a sense of humor. Sometimes it all seems so overwhelming, but it doesn't need to feel that way.
Unread 06-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Same Time Line

Dear Maureenie,

We are almost on the same time line for chemo treatments. I had my second one yesterday, and will finish August 26. Six sessions at three weeks apart.

Mine lasted 5 hours yesterday, but I felt so mellow after the Benadryl and Decadron - although did experience in the 2nd hour, a slight feeling of being on a boat, feeling seasick, but that passed. And then napped on and off. So much for me planning to meditate during the treatment. It was NAP TIME! Felt very mellow, which I am not by nature. I am on the steroids today for the next three days. I truly agree with you about putting it in God's Hands. He will see us through. What God keeps is well kept.

Now, my hair has started to drop, and I did get it cut to about three inches long (or short is a better word!) this past Tuesday. And took my wig to hairdresser to get that trimmed, too. I almost develop a new persona wearing it. And thank goodness that the first two to see me with it on - my much beloved dogs - did not growl at me, but had a good sniff! But what I would like to say is that I have been told that if our hair is shaved off, it comes back feeling stubbly and that it's better to let it drop, so that's what I will do. I mentioned to my gyno nurse yesterday that since it is dropping, I wish that it would drop all at once, but it is in stages. Don't forget head turbans, too.

Wild Rose

TAH May 8, 2003 for Ovarian Cancer / first chemo on May 13 Taxol/Carboplatin
Unread 06-05-2003, 01:50 PM
you go, girl

Maureen, tell that Taxol to back off, 'cause you're ready for it this time!! (it must really work though, right?)
Thinking of you and stay strong as usual!!
Unread 06-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Maureen...

Your marking (simulation) sounded just like mine, except not only did I have a tube in my vagina, but I also had one in my rectum, so I had two of those things taking pictures. I only got the tattoos on both of my thighs, I skipped the one in my pubic area, I told them just to mark it with a marker. I was a big chicken.

I can tell you that, that is the worse part of the radiation. The rest will be a piece of cake, well except for the diarreah part. But as long as you keep immodium with you and start wiping with the baby wipes from the start, you will be fine.

I waited until my hair was thinning out before I shaved my head all off. I guess I've shaved my head twice since then, my hair now has a few hairs about 1 inch long or 1/2 inch, but the rest is gone.

I'm starting to get used to seeing myself with no hair. I never wear my hats inside the house, much more comfortable, and cooler.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that you are doing so well.

's and ers to you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register