TUMS PMS -- Maybe my gyn isn't so wonderful after all! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TUMS PMS -- Maybe my gyn isn't so wonderful after all! TUMS PMS -- Maybe my gyn isn't so wonderful after all!

Unread 06-04-2003, 05:36 PM
TUMS PMS -- Maybe my gyn isn't so wonderful after all!

I finished my first packet of Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo yesterday -- had been taking the regular Ortho Tri Cyclen since 9 weeks post op. Each "cycle" has been progressively worse -- PMS symptoms, cramps, etc. So, I called the Women's Clinic today to have the nurse to ask the doc if there was an alternative to coming to the office and having tests, etc. because I am out of work and have no insurance. I thought maybe she would change my bc pill to a monophasic type since I feel fine during the second week of pills. Well the nurse called me back and told me that her suggestion was to take TUMS PMS (OTC) that this was suppose to help big time with PMS symptoms.

I am flabbergasted to say the least! We aren't talking minor PMS here. I'm talking HORMONAL HELL and cramping just like pre hyst! I don't even know where to go from here. I suppose I'm simply going to stop the bc pills and see what happens next month.

Someone please give me some insight here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2003, 06:17 PM

vbjacks,
I think you should call back and ask to speak directly with the doctor. Perhaps his nurse got the message mixed up or didn't relay it properly. When I was going to a new doctor about hormones his nurse had called me back and said something really odd to me, when I saw the doctor and relayed what she said he was totally flabbergasted and didn't have a clue why his nurse said that to me.

Unread 06-04-2003, 06:23 PM

When I have received what seems to be less than an adequate response from the nurse when she is acting in the role of "go between" I have written a letter directly to the doctor restating my concerns etc. My guess is that sometimes the nurse may forget to convey all of the pertinant information - and the doctor makes the decision based on what the nurse says...

So maybe instead of giving up just yet... try writing a letter directly to the doctor documenting your symptoms and their severity and indicating that you have low confidence that the TUMS PMS will work. If the doctor still thinks that is the best course of action at least then you will have the "correct" telling of the severity of your symptoms in your chart...

Best of luck!
Sblumen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2003, 08:37 AM

this probably isn't much consolation, but I have read that increasing calcium intake is supposed to help with PMS. I assume that's why they recommended TUMS. (I watch it with my 16-year-old, and more calcium has seemed to help her!)

C
Unread 06-05-2003, 09:10 AM

There was a large study about Tums and PMS a few years ago which showed a clear-cut reduction of PMS symptoms in an overwhelming majority of women. I used to have huge PMS problems (I was capable of being suicidal for that week prior to my period, before, not to mention the bloating and pre-menstrual pain from endo) but when I started with the Tums, it made a difference -- cut my symptoms by about 30% or so.

That being said, I suspect something about the progestins in the BCP that you've been taking could be causing the cramping. Do you still have ovaries? Is it possible that you're cycling some sort of cyst with ovulation? The pill should suppress ovulation, but perhaps the triphasic isn't "enough" to stop that process for you.

I can understand your desire to stop the pills -- and it may be the way to go -- but do give the Tums a try, at least until you can finish the current "cycle". Stopping the BCPs mid-cycle could well make things even worse. I didn't believe my DH when he came back with the news about Tums (and believe me, he was just as invested in finding relief for my PMS as I was ). But I read the study, and although I no longer remember the details, it was a large cohort and the connection was not only convincing, but it was such an easy intervention it seemed well worth it. You do have to use the "E-X' form; generic will work just as well (and is much cheaper). I was pretty skeptical...but it helped with the mood swings and some of the bloating!

One way to communicate with your doctor is to fax him/her a message...often they will write a reply at the bottom and send it back to you. The response could still be the same, but it's another way to be certain that your message is getting through, undiluted -- and you're a pretty articulate person, so you'll know there's no chance of mis-interpretation that way!

Audrey
Unread 06-05-2003, 12:52 PM

Thanks for your responses sisters! I have considered the letter even before I made the call as I realize a lot can change in translation from one person to the next. I'm just not sure how to even start the letter.

(((Audrey))), your advice is always so wonderful. What would we do without you. Your description of PMS symptoms sounds so familiar to me! I get to where it is imposisible to deal with them rationally. I still have my right ovary, but have to wonder if it has every really worked correctly (I've dealt with this since menarch). And I've also always had to take "stronger" pills than most to prevent breakthrough bleeding during that 3rd week. The Ortho Tri Cyclen did not work pre hyst and I was switched to Ortho Cept which also caused breakthrough bleeding during that 3rd week. I have often thought the progestin to be the problem too, however, doesn't it increase at the end of the pill packet?

I finished the "cycle" of bc pills on Tuesday and haven't started a new packet. The way I look at it is that I wouldn't take a Sulfa drug (I'm highly allergic to them) because I know I feel awful when I do so, why would I continue taking these pills if they are doing the same?

I do intend to try the TUMS....it certainly can't hurt. However, I do feel like I need more of an answer than that. The letter is looking more and more like an option. Not today though as I feel totally out of it and much like I have a stomach bug. I'm going back to the couch and my book. s to all!
Unread 06-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Vbjacks

I would talk to your doctor about this! This is just a thought! I cramp like that alot and last year when they did my surgery my intestines were all messed up and stuck because of adhesions! It felt as iff i was on my period i was on pain meds now how ever i'm back to that point i can't even eat it hurts so bad i know its my adhesions! This is just a thought! When is the last time your doc. had a look around in there? At that time my doctor did put me on birth control and it did nothing when my 2ng gyn went in there i was a mess from adhesions! the cramping is horrible i know i suffer daily! 's
Colette

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register