Fibroids and LSH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids and LSH Fibroids and LSH

Unread 06-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Fibroids and LSH

Hi Dear Sisters,

I've just come from the gyn staright to this website. My name is Tina, I'm 45 yrs and I've been suffering from very low iron levels for the last 3 years.

As my previous Dr. insisted on me taking iron supplements for the last 6 months, I suffered from the depression which comes with the listless life of bleeding to death (so to speak) every month. I've since changed my Dr. as of course it was obvious we needed to check for fibroids. Low and behold I have 6 or 7 fibroids in the wall of my uterus, one being the size of a manderine 55mm.

I'm now on the journey to find out how to get rid of these fibroids as I feel they are a blight to all women, I can't bare the thought of hosting them any longer. It seems to me that fibroids feed off the natural hormones scrected in one's monthly cycle as well as depleating iron levels by their surface mass.

I'm feeling that even though I've read homeopathy has effects on fibroids and that even Kambucca tea can reduce them, I still haven't found anyone who has had success with either. My partener would like me to do it the natural way but I quite frankly feel the LSH (Laparascopic Supracervical Hysterectomy) would be the best move. Is there anyone out there who can shed some Light on the subject?

Many Thanks,
Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Fibroids and LSH

Tina, I can't speak to natural treatments or even non-natural treatments of fibroids as I never tried them. I have read some posts from women that have tried it, but it seems to lead to surgical removal eventually with most that have posted. Someone with greater experience in naturopathic medicine would be more informative on that subject.

However, I can talk to you about LSH. I had an LSH and am a huge advocate of that procedure. I had one large fibroid plus adenomyosis which enlarged my uterus. No problem removing them through LSH. My surgery was uneventful (although I was very very happy) and my recovery was quick (3 weeks total). FYI - I only lost 3 oz. of blood during surgery which was basically the fibroid and the uterus. The procedure cauterizes as it cuts so I only had 3-4 stitches inside to tie the cervix. Since you have concerns with iron levels I think the LSH procedure wouldn't aggravate that situation.

Good luck with your decision.
Unread 06-05-2003, 09:18 AM
Fibroids and LSH

((Tina)),
I suffered from Fibroids as well, I underwent a TAH 3.5 yrs ago. Unfortunately, there wasnt as many options or knowledge on these at that time. I also had a few other problems/symptoms that led me to my Hyst.
From all I've seen & heard an LSH seems to be a wonderful Option as far as the recovery time, less cutting & the retainment of your Cervix Which BTW, is being said to have nerve-endings

We have a excellent forum here that is full of Info~Resources Forum

Here are a few specific threads:

Fibroids Alternatives to Hyst

Some more good info:

BCP's for Uterine Fibroids:
http://12.31.13.84/library/healthgu...p?HWID=hw181919

Treatment Options for Uterine Fibroids:
http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle...ley/banter_0529

How Do I Know I have Fibroids? Symptoms and Diagnosis:
http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle...ibroid_symptoms

Myomectomy:
http://www.gyndr.com/myomectomy.htm

Myomectomy an Alternative to Hysterectomy:
http://womenshealth.about.com/libra...=Myomectomy%3A+

Fibroid Treatment Options:
http://health.discovery.com/centers...st_options.html

http://www.bham.ac.uk/arif/hyster.htmSubtotal abdominal hysterectomy: A surgical advance or a backward step?
(2001-3402).Source British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. Vol 107(11) (pp 1376-1379), 2000.

Quote:
Objective: To review the short and medium term outcomes of subtotal abdominal hysterectomy.

We also describe the management of cervical stump complications by vaginal trachelectomy or large loop excision of the transformation zone. Design: Retrospective analysis. Setting: Warwick General Hospital, Warwickshire, UK. Sample: One hundred and fifty women underwent subtotal abdominal hysterectomy between 1993 and 1999. Five women had vaginal trachelectomy and another five had large loop excision of the transformation zone for complications relating to the cervical stump. Results: The prevalence of intra-operative and early post-operative complications was 4% and 7.3%, respectively. Twenty women (13.3%) had late complications, of whom 17 (11%) presented with symptoms directly related to the stump (two had also genuine stress incontinence). Three presented with genuine stress incontinence alone. The commonest problem was regular menstruation, which occurred in 12 women (8%). Ten of these women underwent vaginal trachelectomy or large loop excision of the transformation zone. None had intra-operative or post-operative complications. Conclusions: The high prevalences of cervical stump problems should be taken into account before a change in surgical procedure from total to subtotal hysterectomy is recommended. Further prospective studies with prolonged follow up are needed to evaluate the risks and benefits of retaining the cervix at hysterectomy. Total hysterectomy, preferably by the vaginal route, remains the procedure of choice for most women. Should a problem develop, vaginal trachelectomy or large loop excision of the transformation zone by an experienced surgeon are the best options for these women.

Supravaginal hysterectomy – a less invasive procedure:

A partial hysterectomy technique is described which aims to reduce tissue trauma and speed recovery. The first 50 women who underwent this supravaginal hysterectomy were compared with 50 who had a routine total abdominal hysterectomy. The groups were not allocated at random. The supravaginal hysterectomy involved shorter operating time (45 minutes versus 57 minutes mean), and a shorter stay in hospital. Although no differences in urinary symptoms were noted, sexual satisfaction following the supravaginal procedure was found to be more than after the total abdominal hysterectomy. _

http://www.2womenshealth.co.uk/24-24-929.htm
Advantages of sub-total hysterectomy:
  •   Quote:
  • Less danger of injury to the bladder or ureters (during a total hysterectomy, the surgeon must cut near to these structures and the risk of urinary tract injury is 0.5-3%);
  • Less chance of wound infection (1.4% compared to 3%);
  • Fewer haematomas (collection of blood, like a bruise) (0.7% compared to 7%);
  • No chance of vault granulations which occur in 21% of women after total hysterectomy;
  • Some studies have shown that sub-total hysterecto-mies cause fewer urinary symptoms such as altered bladder sensitivity and urinary dysfunction;
  • There is no alteration of the vagina and vaginal vault (top of vagina);
  Quote:
Lancet 1994; 344: 1652-53From Women's Health Watch December 1994
http://www.womens-health.org.nz/hysterectomy.htm
http://www.obgyn.net/ah/articles/special_5-99.htm

Quote:
"In Dr. Saini's scientific abstract, frequency of intercourse, orgasm frequency and overall sexual satisfaction were significantly better when the cervix was not surgically removed. Her report was discussed at the Society of Gynecologic Surgeons' 24th Annual Meeting, and a full paper elaborating on these results is expected. "This is a vital area of research for women's health that is not well studied and sadly underfunded", noted Dr. Saini
http://www.obgyn.net/women/articles/...anter_0512.htm
Good Luck in you research & decision ((Tina)) Pls keep us posted & know we are here for support
(((hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2003, 03:42 PM
NATURAL MEANS OF CURING FIBROIDS

My two cents on this is based on a lifetime of using alternative medical treatments and practice of acupressure, energy healing, yoga and massage.

When I first found out about my fibroids I spent three months trying everything I could to see if I could shrink them. I had Reiki at least twice a week (frequently with more than one person at a time), I did second chakra meditations and breathing, I used visualization and chanting to my uterus and female parts that I loved them and they were healthy (a la Power Healing by Dr. Shu or Shi I forget), I went to an acupuncturist/naturopath. After three months of this, my fibroids had not shrunk ONE IOTA. If they had, I would still be pursuing these means, even if it took two years to shrink them. But I am having a subtotal abdominal hysterectomy soon. I still attribute my lack of success to my stress level (living situation and financial problems affecting pursuing this type of treatment) and believe that if I had the money for daily treatments and hadn't had to drive all over the place in a broken down car to get the different treatments I would be successful. Unfortunately for most of us, it is just too costly to have enough alternative treatment to make a difference.

The first naturopath I went to on my alternative medicine journey said she had only seen two women in 30 years of practice get rid of fibroids that size. It involves nightly castor oil packs, complete faithfulness to a pure diet (never my forte) and the costly visits. It took them a year of this regimen. I also have read a valid scientific study in an acupunture professional magazine where acupuncture and visualization was used and there was documented shrinkage in a significant number of fibroids. They were probably smaller than mine to begin with.

So my conclusion is, if you catch them early enough and are lucky enough to have the money/insurance and leisure/support to pursue alternative means, there is a good chance they can be shrunk or at least managed. Once they get to a certain size, they are next to impossible to shrink (I have a friend who went through exactly what I did using hypnotism and other means as well as naturopath, and had a myomectomy finally).

Hope this helps. Just my experience.
Gemma
Unread 06-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Another possible option

Depending on where your fibroids are, you may be able to have them resected hysteroscopically, through the cervix. This is far less invasive procedure than any hysterectomy, even an LSH, since no organs are removed and there is no incision of any kind. However, not all doctors are qualified to do this, so not all doctors will offer it. I had 2 of these and ultimately ended up with an LSH last month, which seems to be working out great so far, but I was glad I tried a less invasive approach first.

You may also be a candidate for Uterine Fibroid Embolization, which is typically done by an interventional radiologist (and not a gyn) - some women have been very pleased with this.

Check out the National Uterine Fibroids Foundation at www.nuff.org.

Good luck,
Teresa
Unread 06-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Emptying my nest!

Hi Tina:
Boy, all you ladies are great and so helpful. I had my LSH 5 weeks ago! I had, up until this year, been "allowing nature to take her course," -really just as I had approached my children's birthing processes back in the early 80's! Now my children are grown and leaving "my nest" and thus, the notion of addressing my own needs and seeking pro-active management of my abnormal bleeding condition became really natural in of itself.

I am 47 years old, still a bit young to wait on menopause to dry me up. It seems MY NEEDS beyond my children's or husband's have become a bigger priority to me today. When I called my Gyn over the holiday's this winter and we got into a big phone tag process, I admit, I'd given up, however, she persisted to find me! Previously, I'd left a message on her answering machine complaining of a 5 week menstrual period. Thus when we finally collaborated, she discussed with me my options. I saw her in her office in January and she examined me. I gave her an abbreviated list of my "worries." I'd listed, of course the bleeding issue, but I also listed, "loss of consciousness," "bad odors", and "bears in the woods!" And of course she was curious about the "bears in the woods" concern. I told her about my experience this past summer when my husband and I confronted a Grizzly in Montana! (I'm not making this up). We made it out unscathed, but I did feel threatened! I felt threatened because I thought my female condition was an attraction in this wilderness setting!

These above experiences caused me to rethink my sense of "allowing nature to take her course!" I concider myself a "survivor" above anything! After all, I am a cancer survivor! At this point, I want more than to just survive, I enjoy living fully!

In hind site, I have found that fibroids (at least mine) slowing sap your life! Although my summertime and wintertime exploits seem draumatic, I've really been on a long journey to get to this point in my life. I did try other options, but when my Gyn presented the notion of something more definative and after my "in the woods" experience, the decision seemed so straightforward to me! It was "naturally" time for me to let go and literally empty my nest! It took a mother bear in the woods and a wonderful Gyn to prompt me! In the end, that's really allowing nature to take her course!
Unread 06-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Fibroids and LSH

Wow!!!
Bowl me over!

Life is really a chair of bowles, I am so impressed by the heart felt response I've recieved.

Thank you all for the sistership, web sites and your experiences, they have shined light into a place where I was starting to feel very alone.... Hey but now I feel more impowered to take my time and feel good about my future transition.

I'm feeling that the LSH is the go but my Dr. has told me that I have cin1 cells on my cervix, which can be burnt off when he does the hysterscopy. I can schedule in for my LSH any time after that. I'd like to keep my cervix if I can as I feel it will keep my vagina in place with its attached ligaments.

I intend to see if my Japanese accupuncturist can keep me in shape for awhile. He says that stagnet blood in our bodies allows the cells to become irregular and then the fibroid starts to form. I'v had stagnet blood systoms for a while, so I'm now getting the treatment that I should of had two or three years ago.

My biggest concern has been that my 11 year old daughter hasn't started menstrating yet so I feel a bit sad about not having the experience of bleeding together. Anyway I do feel that I've had a wonderful motherhood experience, I'm happy to let go of my womb as I don't think I'll feel any less a woman. It looks like it's all about timing.

Thank you all once again as you've given me the insight to be more patient with my process.

My the Shimmering Light of the Holy Spirit be upon us always.
Many blessings,
Tina
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Re: Fibroids and LSH

Has anyone had success with castor oil packs and reduction of small fibroids (5-6cm)? if not reductionin fibroid size i would be happy with less bleeding & cramping, bloating.

I tried birth control pills to see if that would help. So far not sure I am seeing any benefit, in fact i think i had more flood like episodes while on the pill. But the spotting in between cycles did seem to reduce quite a bit. I am thinking of stopping the pill and trying castor oil packs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register