Can anyone describe what a laparoscopy feels like afterwards?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can anyone describe what a laparoscopy feels like afterwards?? Can anyone describe what a laparoscopy feels like afterwards??

Unread 06-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Can anyone describe what a laparoscopy feels like afterwards??

Hi ladies!
I just had my 3mo checkup with my oncologist/gyn today, and I have been scheduled for a laparoscopy to get rid of possible adhesions and possibly my right tube and ovary. I guess he say my pain on the right side is because my ovary is adhered to my vaginal cuff, and my large intestine is also possibly involved. Yippee!! A 3rd surgery in 10 months!! Just kidding! Lol!
Any ol' way, can any of you tell me how big the incisions are and how bad the pain is post op? Does the air they pump into you really hurt bad?? Also, he said if i am to much of a mess in there to go through laparascopically, he will have to do a laparotomy??
How much bigger of an incision is the one for the laparotomy??
i figure if I can have a hyserectomy then I can get through this too. I'm just curious about other peoples experiences that's all. I'm scheduled to have it done on the 17th of this month. Take care.

Stef TVH due to adenocarcinoma in situ of cervix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Laparoscopy

HI; I had a laparoscopy in November of last year as a last resort before having my hysterectomy four weeks ago. I had endometriosis as well as adhesions and my ovary was connected somewhere that it shouldn't be. I went in on a Friday morning, and it was done and I was home by 4 in the afternoon. There was a small incision that went down from my belly button (you can't even see it now) and I was on pain pills for a couple of days. It was just uncomfortable around the incision, and I felt like when I moved that things were shifting around in there, but it wasn't too bad at all. I wish you luck and hope things turn out for the best
Unread 06-05-2003, 05:31 PM

Stef,
I'm sorry you're looking at another surgery. As far as how you will feel afterwards it will probably depend on how much work the doctor has to do once he gets inside. As far as incision goes you may just have a few little tiny ones around your belly button and maybe inside your belly button.

Each lap I've had has been a bit different painwise. Like I said above it will probably depend on what your doctor sees and does once he gets the scope in.

If you end up with a laprotomy you may have an incision across your abdomen. I had a laprotomy back in 1996 and my doctor made about an eight inch incision about mid belly horizontally. I was off work for 4 weeks after that surgery.

Time off for the laps has depended on the scope of work done. It has varied from a few days to two weeks.

Good luck and do keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2003, 05:36 PM
(((( hugs )))))

If they do a laparoscopy you can be home same day with one to four tiny incisions.... Belly button, above pubic, or on either side where ovary's are... I had mine done 4 weeks ago... It only took an hour, was home in two hours.... A couple of days of resting and taking pain meds.. Then I was able to start going back to most of my routines. The gas is uncomfortable and does cause some women shoulder pain... But that is only temporary and pain meds and walking, passing gas, and gas x., all help! Now if you have to have a laparotomy, you are in for a longer recovery. I have not had that, but I bet someone will come along soon who has.... and good luck.... I am recovering from my second surgery in 4 weeks... My laporoscopy to remove adhesions was 4 weeks ago... Good luck! again.
Unread 06-05-2003, 05:57 PM
I had a lap done 4 weeks ago.

It was fine. My doctor told me the same thing about the laparotomy, she said it would depend on what she found when she got in there and if I did have to have one I would be off work for 6 weeks. This would not have been an option for me as I can not afford any more time off. Fortunately for me I woke up with one incision in my belly button and that was it. I didn't even experience any gas pain. I ended up having massive adhesions removed. I had a diagnostic lap done in Feb of 2002 and nothing was even removed but the gas pain was unbearable for a whole week. It was worse than any other pain I have had post op except for my hyst. But I was lucky this time and had no pain from gas what so ever. I did have some abdominal pain which I was actually surprised at. But it was gone within a week. I was off 2 weeks but my doctor actually wanted me off for 3. All in all it was the easiest surgery I have had yet. I went home that night (my choice). I think it just depends on your doctors experience with laps and their technique. I had a different doctor do my diagnostic lap.

You should be fine, this will be a breeze compared to your hyst.

's
Pamela
Unread 06-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Air Pain

My best suggestion would be to have someone who can massage stonr & hard massage your right shoulder - that is the one that I had a problem with twice & many of my family & friends I spoke woth on this - the nurse said the massage doesn't help - but she is wrong it really does the air gets trapped in the socket & just kills it happens when you move at the begining - but it is better in the end. Good lUck & God Bless
Unread 06-06-2003, 12:15 AM

I have had one laparoscopy and it really wasn't a big deal. I went in on a Monday(or maybe it was a Tuesday???) I took the whole week off of work, but I could have gone back sooner, but it was nice to be able to take my time healing. It really wasn't very painful. I was sore for only a few days. On the 3rd day post op, I took all 4 of my kids to the doctor and I wasn't too bad off. I had three incisions. Two of them were really low and you can't even see them now. I do have a scar on my belly botton though. I don't remember any pain from the gas, but I did have swelly belly for a few days afterwards. It really is a quick recovery.

A laparotomy, on the other hand, is a much harder recovery.....I have had two of them! My incision was very sore for several weeks after both of them. Even one year post op from my TAH, I still have sensitivity.

Good luck! I might be having a lap in the near future too......to remove my ovaries! Yikes! Nothing is for sure yet, I'm holding onto these ovaries for as long as I can!
Unread 06-06-2003, 03:26 PM

I have had 10 laps since 1990. the more recent ones were easier to recover from because the surgeon was able to remove alot of the gas before closing. The gas either has to be removed by the surgeon when he is done (I am not sure how they do this but I do recall my GYN saying that they had started to do this now) or it must get reabsorbed into the body which can take a while.... Once you are up and about any gas that is left will migrate to the top of your abdominal cavity where it is very irritating to you diaphragm. The shoulder pain is actually referred pain from the irritation to your diaphragm. It can become really bad if they leave alot of gas in you.... I think by now most surgeons attempt to remove as much as possible. The first few laps I had done it took weeks for the gas to be absorbed... the last one I had done in 1999 only took about 1 week and the shoulder pain was not that bad.

In my own experience the recovery from the lap is based on what the surgeon did on the inside. The last lap I had involved removing my ovary and then removing two large cyanotic areas from my uterus and multiple endo spots. It was quite extensive and took me a while to recover from because of the internal pain. I had one previously where he did nothing (just looked) and it was relatively easy to recover from... so that has been my experience.

I hope everything goes well for you.
SBlumen
Unread 06-06-2003, 06:27 PM

Thanks for all the posts ladies
I'm sure it will be just fine. My doc seemed pretty confident that he could do the procedure laparascopicaly, so it should be okay.

Thanks again!
Stef TVH due to adenocarcinoma of cervix

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register