Shower or Bath? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shower or Bath? Shower or Bath?

Unread 06-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Shower or Bath?

After reading everything all you princesses have said about pampering myself, I went last night and really stocked up on shower gels, body lotions and creams... You'd think I was going to open my own store!! But I haven't heard anybody say... can I take a bath after my TVH or only showers for a while?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2003, 07:16 AM
Shower or Bath?

I am afraid you will have to be content with showers until the doctor gives the ok for baths. You risk the chance of infection , especially in the vaginal area, by taking a bath so soon after surgery. I had to wait until my 6 week checkup, but your doctor will let you know. I made good use of those lovely scented shower gels and lotions in the meantime...
Unread 06-06-2003, 07:29 AM
Shower or Bath?

Hi Novalee, my dr told me that I could have both baths and showers after my tah/bso last year. He did say to not put anything extra in my baths and to be sure to dry my incision very very well.
I've read here that many women are restricted to showers only for awhile, so be sure to check with your dr first.
I do love my baths, so I was happy to be allowed to have them. But as it was hard to get up out of the tub at first (& we have rails that even made it easier) I did take showers using a shower chair for a few days.
s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Shower or Bath?

That's what I figured! Thanks for the response!
Unread 06-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Shower or Bath?

I dread that first shower in the hospital---OUCH!!! I've had 3 c-sections so I know how stiff and sore I will be and how my incision will sting. But I always feel better afterwards. I am a bath person, so having to take showers will not be my style, but I'll do whatever the dr says. Thanks for asking this question, Novalee.
Unread 06-06-2003, 11:30 AM
No No on the baths

Usually the Dr tells you not to take a bath for at least 6 weeks.
I will share a little tip that made showers easier for me though.
I got a lawn chair and cleaned it off good of course...and put that in the shower, and I have one of those detachable sprayers, and I would sit in there to take a shower the first few weeks after my surgery. It makes it allot easier to shave your legs and things like that.

Kim
TAH/BSO 4/1/03
Unread 06-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Shower or Bath?

My favorite bath thingie was a scrubber on a stick. My dd went out for a back brush but could'nt find one but brought home the scrubber. I could'nt bend to wash below my waist so it was great for below and with some fun smelly stuff also.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register