How to write a letter to a doctor..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How to write a letter to a doctor..... How to write a letter to a doctor.....

Unread 06-06-2003, 10:51 AM
How to write a letter to a doctor.....

Well today is day 3 without my bc pills and I have had a head ache and felt crampy and nauseated all 3 days. I am going to go to the store in a bit and pick up those TUMS. Also going to try and stick this no bc pills thing out at least through this cycle (although 3 weeks seems like forever at this point.)

As many of you suggested, I am going to write my gyn a letter so there will at least be written accurate documentation in my chart. My question is....how do I begin this letter??? Any suggestions are very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2003, 12:06 PM

I usually start my letters stating the intent of the letter. I also try to be very brief and concise... so something like..

Dear Doctor so-and-so..

I am writing this letter to let you know the extent of my PMS symptoms. Earlier this week I talked with the nurse and based on the response I was unclear whether or not I had conveyed a clear picture of how miserable I am during the (whatever time it is that you feel you are miserable)....

During these X days I have the following symptoms...

When I have these symptoms I am unable to....

Please let me know if you still think the TUMS PMS will help me or if you have another plan.... etc.

Sincerely....

Best of luck,
SBlumen
Unread 06-06-2003, 12:25 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention about when I write letters. In the letter I try not to place blame or insinuate that someone was not doing his/her job correctly EXCEPT if it was a very CLEAR case and I am writing directly about that problem. If I had a simliar situation to you I would simply suggest that I must not have been clear when describing what is happening so I thought that writing it down would be helpful etc...... (In reality you do not know if your message was or was not conveyed properly and your doctor may indeed think that the TUMS PMS is the best place to start).... so best not to make assumptions ahead of time.

I also have my husband read my letter to make sure that it does not imply blame on the doctor or the office (EXCEPT of course if there was a clear problem). I have found that doctors tend to be very sensitive.

WEll... that's all I wanted to add. I have written multiple letters to my doctor over the years and have found it a very effective way to communicate with him directly. He usually always calls me as a result of a letter to discuss the content. It has definately helped to make sure that he has the correct information about what is happening to me. (Sometimes I fax the letter but usually I just mail it).

Sblumen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2003, 01:00 PM

Well, the letter to my Gyn is in the mail and on it's way. Many thanks to (((SBlumen))) for the suggestions and of course all the (((sisters))) that suggested the letter in the first place.

Today is my 4th day without bc pills and I'm feeling markedly better.....but I usually am by the 4th pill into the new packet anyway. I couldn't find the TUMS PMS here and bought the calcium chews instead (500 mg). I was wondering how many mg of calcium is in the TUMS PMS and is the formulation any different than the chews or TUMS Ultra or EX??? I also went back to taking a B Complex supplement as I remember a prior gyn (way back pre hyst) suggesting it....suppose to be a help with energy and mood? Anyone else take this and what results have you had?

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!
Unread 06-08-2003, 12:23 AM

I wrote a letter to my gyn a couple months ago and it definately got his attention! I am so happy I did it. I saw him last October and then in November and he basically passed me off to the uro. I needed to be treated by the uro, but I knew that I needed to be treated by my gyn too. So when I was fed up enough, I wrote a letter.

I started it off by saying "Dear Dr. ......."
and then told him why I was writing the letter. Basically that I felt like the urologist was helping me, but that I was still having cyclical pain that I really felt was unrelated to my bladder. I made a list of my symptoms and then asked him for his help. I told him what I wanted to do(try BCP's). I also added in that I have faith in hm as a doctor and that I really felt like he could help me. I kept the letter short and sweet and stuck to the facts. I did make it a little mushy by telling him that I had faith in him as a doctor, but otherwise it was just facts.

He called me the day after I sent the letter, right after he read it. He is now treating me and we have talked about my options. I am supposed to call him soon to let him know how the BCP's are working and then depending on what I tell him, I will either stay on them, or we'll talk about more surgery. I am so happy I wrote that letter. I felt like he wasn't getting it before....that he was so sure that everything was bladder related, but I am so sure that it's a gynecological issue too. Anyway, writing the letter got his attention and now we have a plan of action.

Go for it!
Unread 06-09-2003, 12:46 PM
I TAKE TUMS

HI VBJACKS, I TAKE TUMS. I WENT TO A WOMEANS CLINIC ABOUT A MONTH AGO BECAUSE I WASNT GETTING ANY HELP FROM MY GYNO (I GOT RID OF HER) ANY WAY THE NURSE PRACTIONER HAD ME START WITH 2 TUMS 3XS A DAY FOR THE PMS SYMPTOMS AND B-6 AND MAGNESIUM. BELIEVE IT OR NOT THE TUMS WORK. I WAS LEFT WITH ONE OVARY WHICH HAS NO LIFE TO IT AND I DONT TAKE HRTS.I CANT.I PMS LIKE A MANIAC AND THEY DO TAKE THE EDGE OFF. SHE SAID THEY WORK LIKE A XANAX(AN ANXIETY MED).. GIVE THEM A TRY SWEETIE YOU MIGHT JUST BE SURPRISED!!! ALWAYS CHRIS
Unread 06-09-2003, 02:28 PM

Vbjacks,
Yes, B vitamins can help with mood, in particular I think that B-6 is the most helpful. I had a problem with depression about 6 months after my hyst. I felt like I was heading in the right direction with my hormones, but I couldn't shake the depression. A friend suggested B-6 and I went and got some and have taken it ever since. It really did help me.

Here's a list of some supplements and what each of them does https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...hp?s=&id=97237
This thread is helpful also https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=28374

I'm not sure about the calcium chews as compared to Tums, but I would think that there would be more calcium in the chews than in the TUMS. I would think that there may be an added ingredient in the TUMS PMS that is not in the calcium chews. That's just an assumption though.

Unread 06-09-2003, 06:36 PM

Thanks bunches ladies! I started taking the B-Complex and Calcium chews (500mg 2x a day) at the same time I stopped the bc pill. I'm 7 days into it now and feeling fairly well. We'll see how things go at ovulation and PMS time. I hope I have the same positive results as you ladies.

(((Pasdechat))) I thought it was you that had written a letter to your gyn. I sent one to mine late last week and am waiting (hoping) to hear from her.

(((Chris))) How many mg were the TUMS the NP told you to take?

(((Kim))) The chews have vitamins D & K in them as well which is supposed to help your body absorb the calcium better. Thanks for the links....I'm off to check them out now.

Unread 06-09-2003, 07:19 PM
ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION

HEY VBJACKS, I TAKE 1200MGS SWEETIE.I THOUGHT THAT, THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH FOR ME BUT ITS NOT.GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING. YOU DESERVE TO FEEL WELL AND HAPPY. CHRIS
Unread 06-10-2003, 08:03 AM

vbjacks,
I looked up the tums online and it said that there is 600mg of calcium per 2 tablet serving. The calcium chews I found were 500mg per chew. Just FYI and I was interested to know myself.

Good luck! I hope and that this will help you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register