Fistula strikes yet another sister - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fistula strikes yet another sister Fistula strikes yet another sister

Unread 06-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Fistula strikes yet another sister

HI Abby

Just want to say I am so sorry to have not been around more for some support- but have had alot going on at home.. sooo happy they found and answer for you and you are feeling better w/out the cath!! Please know I will be praying for success tomorrow with your surgery and your DR can get it done in a jiffy for you. Please remember to take it slow and to be a real good princess!! Am sending a big and please let us know how you are feeling when you have a moment and you feel up to it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 03:21 PM

Sorry to hear of the shunt but I'm glad you got some answers.
Your're lucky you didn't have to do the IVP prep. That was the worst. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
Renee
Unread 06-12-2003, 06:11 PM

[b]What is a fistula and how do you end up with one? love this site ! my tah lso is June 30th and I am getting more nervous each day. Hugs and Best Wishes to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Home

Hi everyone. I have been back for a few hours. I took advantage of my girls being at the sitters and took a nap when I got home.
The stint placement wen't very well. I am still leaking a little from the urethra, but at lease it isn't pouring out the wrong hole. They must have done something right. I decided to do the spinal with the twilight sleep. I wish I would have done that with my TAH. I do remember waking up during the surgery. My doctor was walking around the room talking about how big the stint was. I then argued with them about whether my feel were in the stir-ups or not (they were). I asked the nurse if I could go back to sleep and she said "sure" and off I went until recovery.
Overall I am trying to be hopeful and just play the waiting game. I am going away this weekend to a friends house. I am sure I will be pampered and gets lots of rest.

*I was reading back through some of your stories. I just wanted to tell you guys how much of an inspiration you are to me. Both as women and as sisters in recovery. You have been through so much, more than I think I could have dealt with. I am one of the lucky few. You will always be in my thoughts and prayers.*

Abby
Unread 06-13-2003, 02:05 PM
WOO-HOO

Hi Abby

GREAT news- and glad you are feeling better!!! Isn't the spinal the best!!! I had it too and wish I did it for my hyster. Just PLEASE take it slow and listen to how you are feeling.. you don't want to overdue it!! Sending a big !!!
Unread 06-13-2003, 06:19 PM

Yeah....so glad your're home.
Stay rested and hydrated. Post when you can.
Renee
Unread 06-14-2003, 05:11 AM

Great News Abby,

Hoping your recovery is an uneventful one!

Terry
Unread 06-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Giving up

I was told it was normal to be bleeding. I think I was also told that I would have a little bit of leaking. I initially thought I was leaking from the urethra and i chalked it up to inflamation from the catheter, the cystoscope, and then the stent. Well not only is it leaking from there but I have started leaking from the vagina again pretty bad. I know the stent has holes all the way around it, and having a hole in the ureter, it would make sense that there would still be draining. What scares me is the amount that I am leaking, and the amount of blood in the urine. It started out not too bad, now it is just as bad as before. The contant urge and the frequency is just annoying but I can handle that. Just everything together and I am so frustrated that I am crying continuously. So now we are looking at abdominal surgery to cut the bad section out and reattach both ends. Why will this work? Nothing else has.
I am sorry if I am rambling and not making sense. I am about ready to have a melt down.

Abby
Unread 06-14-2003, 01:42 PM

OH NO ABBY!

I still hope you will be fixed soon! I know what it is like to have surgery & leak just as bad. What concerns me is I see you have adeno & endo. Unfortunately mine grew uncontrollably in & around my bladder for 13 years while I was told my symptoms were nothing out of the ordinary & the last 2 years even called a hyperchondriac (sp). Please don't give up but know that I understand your desperation. Yesterday my dr & nurses told me how close my life came to an abrupt halt the last 2 weeks & were amazed at how far I have come in such a short time. Please, please know that I believe in you & you are stronger then you think! It is hard to imagine now but your nightmare will end. Today is my B-Day & I have never been more greatful to turn another year older! I wish I was there to give you a big hug!

Love,
Terry
Unread 06-14-2003, 09:37 PM

Abby, my heart goes out to you. I've just got done reading your post and all the replies. I have went thru the same thing. My TAH was on 10-21-02 and in December I started leaking, no gushing. I had tried to tell the Dr.'s all along that something wasn't right and I had alot of pain but they said it was normal, until the leaking started. Mine was a left uretervaginal fistula and I had a ureteral reimplantation to correct the problem. I know how you feel about the pull-ups and the night time diapers. My family thought that it was funny too (for me to wear them, not the problem). But you have to laugh because it would be to easy to cry about it all the time. My prayers go to you. I will tell you that the 2nd surgery did fix the problem. No more dedends for me! I will be looking for your postings on how you are. Take care! Percillajo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register