Chemo Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo Question Chemo Question

Unread 06-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Chemo Question

This may be a very odd question, but I'm hoping someone may know the answer to this.

I'm currently undergoing the typical regimend of cispatin along with internal and external radiation.

I've noticed since my first chemo a few days ago, everything smells terrible (kind of like a sweet medicine type smell).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a common side effect? I thought I had a hold on all the side effects, but this one hit me out of the blue.

Or, maybe it's just all the medications I'm currently taking.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Best,
Kristine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2003, 08:57 PM
I had your same regime, but.........

Not the smell. Sorry I cant help you there.

I do wish you the best of luck with the chemo and radiation. How have things went with you so far???
Unread 06-07-2003, 10:50 PM
I haven't had the smell thing either...

but I didn't have radiation and chemo together either. I do know though, I have had some kind of metal taste in my mouth during chemo. That is why I keep hard candy with me during chemo. And when I forget, I do forget sometimes, my nice nurse goes and finds some for me from other people in the office.

I'll ask other people in the chemo room and see. There is a new woman, who just started with me, and she is also doing radiation at the same time. I forgot which drugs she was on, she is having three in her chemo. But she didn't know what they were.

Anyway, hopefully others will come along, maybe they can help more.

's and ers to you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Chemo Question

Hi, SallyShredder.

While I'm doing Taxol and Carboplatin (no radiation), I did encounter that smell thing, although my experience may have been different. Particularly with my first treatment, I got to a point where I had to sit outside in my jammies because I couldn't bear the smell of the house (which smelled just like an ordinary house).

I'm not sure what caused it, but it contributed to a lengthy bout with nausea and an inability to eat. The only thing that took the smell problem away (and enabled me to eat during that first cycle) was MJ. I haven't dealt with anything quite so severe for the other two cycles. Using maitake mushroom with D-fraction during my last cycle also seemed to help minimize some of those nausea side effects.

I've encountered the change in taste (metal, wood, etc.) since then, but if I suck on candy or eat anything during the chemo treatment, it makes me nauseated to even think about it again, let alone see the package.

Hope this helps! :-)
Unread 06-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Chemo Question

Hi, Kristine.

I just started external radiation last week. Had 2 treatments on Thursday and Friday. I'm daily from now on for the next 5 weeks and have my second chemo scheduled for this Firday. The only thing I've noticed is certain perfume turns my stomach! I saw two ladies at Church today and I absolutely wanted to push them away from me because they smelled so bad!! But I don't know whether it's all perfume or just the cheap stuff! (Isn't that a rotten thing to say! All right, I'm sorry it smelled as bad as it did!) lol ;-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register