A Celebration Of Life.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Celebration Of Life.... A Celebration Of Life....

Unread 06-08-2003, 09:48 AM
A Celebration Of Life....

The tent was ENERMOUS, the disc jockey was fabulous, the wicker food baskets were filled with all sorts of yummy foods, the balloons were colorful and festive, the flowers smelled wonderful, but best of all, ALL THE CANCER SURVIVORS WERE THERE!!!

All this happened yesterday, June 7th at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, Long Island, New York. New Yorkers are stopped by rain, which we had plenty of yesterday. It was "A CELEBRATION OF LIFE" day sponsored by the Don Monti foundation. This is the 13th year of this party. 13 years ago they started out with about 600 people, today there were over 2,000 there all with spunk and lots of determination.

All of the speeches given were short and sweet and to the point. None of those long boring talks. It was amazing to hear about all the wonderful advancements being made in the world of cancer and how people with cancer CAN and WILL have high quaility of life.

A newspaper was also given to everyone and one article in particular caught my eye. It was written by MY oncologist, Dr.Gina Villani and she talks about new treatments for ovarian cancer. This is the summed up version....

Taxol is the drug of first choice in the treatment of Ovarian cancer despite the fact that there are often many side effects. However, a new way to effectively use this time honored drug is being investigated.

Dr. Villani specializes in womans cancer diseases and has been named as the Co-principal investigator of taxol. The new taxol is water soluable and takes only one-half hour to administer intravenously. Preliminary data suggests that it may be more effective with fewer negative side effects.

In another study, Dr. Villani is using an antibody for patients who have relapsed from remission. This is given intravenously every 3 weeks and has minimal side effects. The antibody works by stopping the development of blood vessles which in turn may stop the growth and spread of the disease. She says that even though they have just begun this line of treatment, positive results are being seen!!!!

All in all it was a wonderful day and I hope to attend for many many more years you come!!

Hope all is well with everyone.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2003, 09:50 AM

After reading back my post... it should read New Yorkers are NOT stopped by a little rain......
Unread 06-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Sounded Great!!!!!

I am so glad that you was able to go despite the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2003, 11:59 AM
A great idea

As we discussed yesterday, I think this is a great idea. They do nothing like that where I live; survivior's day June 1 passed unnoticed. Hooray for those hospitals and clinics that do this for patients! May you go to them for the next 40 years. Ellen
Unread 06-08-2003, 03:03 PM

Glad you had such a great day. We also have nothing like that in my area.

Ruth S
Unread 06-08-2003, 03:05 PM
Rosalie,

I'm so glad you decided to go, and it sounded like you had fun which is great.

I'm not sure if anything like that happends over here, I will have to look into it next year.

Well, here is hoping you get to go to many many more of these events....

's and ers to you...
Unread 06-08-2003, 04:08 PM

Rosalie, thank you SO much for the update! I swear I'll be building an ark soon if it doesn't stop raining here and I was glad to hear that the rain didn't stop the festivities. What a wonderful day!

Big Hugs to you and all other survivors! You show me it can be done!
Unread 06-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks so much for the information!

It sounded like a wonderful day, despite the rain. My area had one in May, but I found out too late to make it. I will next year though.

So glad you went and then told us about it!
Unread 06-08-2003, 10:28 PM

s Rosalie

Your day sounded wonderful. I always find it so encouraging to hear what is new on the horizon.
I know what you mean about the rain. Same here in NJ. Yet by August we will probably all have water restrictions again. LOL

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register