Time Off From Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time Off From Work Time Off From Work

Unread 06-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Time Off From Work

I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy and bladder suspension on 07/15/03. Realistically how long can I expect to be off work? I sit at a desk and type for the most part. My doctor said that I could possibly go back to work 2 weeks after my surgery. Is that a realistic expectation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2003, 08:08 AM
Time Off From Work

I had a TAH/BSO with a vertical incision. My doctor released me to go back to work when he took my staples out at 2 week 1 day post op. Due to another doctors appt, a renal ultrasound and a mamagram scheduled that week I chose to go back at 3 weeks. At that time I worked 9 - 2 and went back full time at 5 weeks. Except for being very tired when I got home from work it all went well. My family was wonderful and I didn't do anything after I got home from work except rest. I had a very easy recovery with not pain and no pain meds. Everyone's recovery is different. If you are having any pain or taking paid meds, 2 weeks would probably be way to soon for you. I wouldn't plan on going back that soon, take things one day at a time after sugery and take care of yourself.

Peggy
Unread 06-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Time Off From Work

Three weeks was the point at which I felt I could get up and do things without feeling too fragile to finish them. Everybody's recovery is a little different, but two weeks seems awfully short to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2003, 08:15 AM
back to work?

Wow! Two weeks and back to work?

Everyone heals differently. I always thought that I could just 'bounce back' from anything. I had never had major surgery before and sorely underestimated my recovery time.
I am almost 5 weeks post hyst and am only now feeling up to doing things and going out of the house. I had a TAH/BSO and bladder tack and they kicked my butt!

I am grateful that I told my job that I would need 8 weeks off.
It is difficult to say how you will feel after two weeks, perhaps you can give yourself some 'wiggle room' with time if you need it after you have the surgery.
Rememger, you only have one chance to heal properly!
Think about yourself and what you body may need.

Good luck at the castle! Sandra.
Unread 06-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Time Off From Work

I had a LAVH/BSO on 05/07 and I'm having an amazingly easy recovery. I agree with Sandra, though. At two weeks I could have gone back to my desk job if I HAD to, but my healing would have been compromised. As it is, I did WAY too much while home and now, at 4.5 post-op I'm finding I have to be an extra good princess because I'm not healing the way I should.

Let's review... my surgery was on a Wednesday. I didn't work the Monday and Tuesday before because there was too much to do to get ready. Besides, by then I was in so much pre-op pain I don't think I could have concentrated or be safe to drive.

My two week mark would have also been a Wednesday but I wouldn't have wanted to return to work for a Thurs / Fri so at very least I would have had three full weeks off of work. I guess a lot depends on which day your surgery falls.

Because of my specific circumstances, I ended up quitting my job rather than take a LOA. At three weeks post-op, my former boss was calling to beg me to come back. I honestly told him there was no way I could even consider returning until after my 6-week check-up.

Let me be specific. During recovery it's important to be able to do a little bit when you feel up to it and REST when you need to. It's also very important to take some pressure off the organs (or sutures) that are pushed by gravity into the pelvis. This means having an opportunity to lay down every now and then. I don't have to lay down for very long but 8 to 9 hours of ONLY being able to sit or stand up gets to be very painful.
Unread 06-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Hi,

It may depend on the type of surgery you are having. Realistically, a vaginal hysterectomy requires 4 to 6 weeks and an abdominal hysterectomy requires 6 to 8 weeks.

I had a TAH in May of last year and went back to work half days at 5 1/2 weeks (desk job) and full time at 6 weeks. I was sore and exhausted and had to take a nap every day when I got home.

Sitting is an activity which should be limited to short periods of time during the first month, so though a desk job sounds like it would be easy to go back to, that's not always the case.

Remember, you only get one chance to heal properly and this is it. You need to give your body the time it needs to recover in order to avoid future complications. Work will still be there when you're ready to go back to it.

s,

Lisa
Unread 06-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Time Off From Work

Thanks so much for all your wisdom. I had inquired about having a vaginal hysterectomy however, due to the bladder suspension (burch) procedure my doctor advised that an incision would be better. I was just trying to figure out a rough estimate of how long to tell my boss I would be out. I've never had any kind of surgery before so this is all new to me. Thanks again!
Unread 06-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Time Off From Work

I have a desk job and I took 6 weeks off. I felt fine and could sit for periods of time at 6 weeks than at 5. I was tired at 6 weeks at work and had a hard time getting used to the getting up early in the am and early to bed at pm. The 8 week is the best for everything, swollen belly was almost to nothing, I was exercising, no insomnia, and not as tired. If you can take 8 do it. This major surgery and you need to heal properly to feel great later.
Good luck to you and your up coming surgery.

s
Unread 06-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Time Off From Work

I'm self-employed, so I thought I'd be back at my computer in two weeks! So wrong. Sitting was -- and still is -- the hardest position to be in. At two weeks, I could only sit upright for about 20 minutes before I'd start feeling crampy. Now, at 5 weeks, I can sit for around 3 hours. That's still not even part-time, plus I don't have to get dressed up, drive anywhere, etc.)! I could probably push it if I had to (and I may need to later this week for a client meeting), but it would be really hard to have to do it day in and day out.

Also -- although I think I don't have any brain fog, having been off pain meds for a month now and I "feel" clear-headed, I realized during a telephone conference call that I was having a very hard time focusing on what was being said, and generally, felt "slow." At two weeks, I was still feeling brain fuzzy.

Really, this week (week 5) is the first week I could even consider going to work in an office if I had to. Today's the first day that I'm going to try to "work" all day.
Unread 06-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Time Off From Work

You US Sisters certainly get back to work quickly!

I had TAH and removal of a 16cm cyst by a vertical incision. I was amazed at how well I started feeling even immediately after the op.

Before the hyst my Consultant advised between 6 & 12 weeks off work and that I would not be fully healed for a year.

I was due a final check by my Consultant last week, but he had to cancell and I now have to wait until 18 June to see him. As my sick note for work was due for renewal I visited my GP who is reluctant to sign me off as fit until I've seen the Consultant.

I feel fine and thought I might be able to return to work now (7 weeks post op) although I still find it uncomfortable to sit up straight for longer than 30 minutes (I also have a desk job). However I visited work with my new sick note and spent about 2 hours chatting to colleagues. When I returned home I was exhausted, so feeling great while you're around home doesn't have much bearing on how well you'll manage at work.

A lot depends on your work environment. I know if I agree to go back part time thats acceptable to my boss, but our Head Office is fond of asking the impossible at short notice, and if that means staying late its expected. Also there is a temporary worker doing my job so everything is being attended to. So I'm reluctant to go back until I'm ready.

I've decided to spend this next 2 weeks trying to build up my strength by lengthening my walks, etc a bit each day.

My GP did say internally I was healing excellently but I had to remember I'd had major stomach muscles cut through and could not expect to feel 100% for a good while yet.

Its our wedding anniversary tomorrow, my DH has booked a hotel in York with spa facilities. York is a lovely old city so we're going to do a little bit of sight seeing (whatever is comfortable for me) and enjoy the hotel pool for a couple of days as I'm now cleared to go swimming. Might treat myself to a facial and a pedicure for good measure.

Good luck with the hyst op and make the most of your time out - as everyone on the site says you only have one chance to heal properly, but you have a lot of years left to work!

Luv
Pauline xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register