Should the pelvic lymph nodes go too??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should the pelvic lymph nodes go too??? Should the pelvic lymph nodes go too???

Unread 06-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Should the pelvic lymph nodes go too???

The doctor wants to take the uterus, tubes, ovaries, cervix and all 24-30 lymph nodes in my pelvis. SHe says this is the safest thing to do. We know I have grade 1 adenocarcinoma, but we won't know what stage the cancer is in until after the surgery. She says that she won't know if I need radiation or chemo if she doesn't take the nodes out.

Have any of you encountered this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2003, 04:09 AM
Gyn-Onc Took 30 of Mine

My gynecologic-oncologist removed 30 lymph nodes at the time of my radical hysterectomy, plus a section of tissue surrounding the obturator nodes because they were suspiciously enlarged. All nodes turned were negative for tumor cells, but I ended up getting internal and external radiation anyway because my pathology report determined that I had a number of other risk factors for recurrence.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

MoeKay
Unread 06-10-2003, 07:43 AM

Alana
I was dx last July with a Stage 1a, grade 2 endometrial adenocarcinoma. I only required surgery and now have follow ups. My onc/gyn sampled lymphnodes, which were all clear. He used the word sampled so I am not sure if he removed the whole thing or not. I have numbing in my upper right groin area, which I assume is from the lymphnode sampling. It has gotten much better over the last several months, but it still feels funny. I haven't ordered my surgical or path reports yet....I don't think I am ready to read all the details just yet.
Grade 1 indicates that you have a slow growing cancer.....What were your symptoms?
Please continue to post any ?? or feel free to email or PM me. Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2003, 08:00 AM
yes

Hi Alana. I have stage IC grade I ovarian ca. When I had my tah/bso, my surgeon took pelvic lymph nodes. I forgot to ask her how many. Best wishes to you and let me know if you have any questions.
Unread 06-10-2003, 11:27 AM

I think they removed only four of my lymph nodes. Not sure if they "sampled" anything else. Some doctors remove more, some remove less.

According to a woman I met at the Wellness Community, the trouble with removing more is that you can end up with lymphdema later on. I asked why some people had so many lymph nodes removed while others had just a few, and she said it was doctor preference. Maybe they took just enough out of me to find one postive node, then stopped. I don't know. Three were clear, one was positive. And that's all I know. I'm going through chemo now.

Good luck!
Unread 06-10-2003, 11:41 AM

I had LMP OVCA and they removed 32 lymph nodes at my surgery. Seems to be something standard with cancer since it can spread so quickly thru the lymphatic system.
Unread 06-10-2003, 12:52 PM
Why Gyn-Onc Took 30

Alana,

I did not mention in my prior post that I had endometrial cancer. Since 1988 endometrial cancer has been a surgically staged disease. In order for the pathologist to complete full surgical staging, pelvic and para-aortic lymph nodes need to be sampled and evaluated.

In addition to pelvic and para-aortic nodes, I had obturator nodes removed because the gyn-onc observed at the time of surgery that they were enlarged, and because of their size the gyn-onc suspected that the tumor had invaded the nodes (pathology later determined that it had not).

It is my understanding that the number of nodes your gyn-onc will remove (at least for endometrial cancer) will be determined during surgery based on the clinical findings.

Hope this helps.

MoeKay
Unread 11-02-2003, 01:59 PM
should lymph nodes go

dear Alana
By the sound of it my op 2 years ago was much the same as yours. I had 30 plus nodes removed. I made a good recovery from the op, went back to work after 4 months, then unfortunately after 10 months developed lymphodaema in my right leg. There's no doubt it has changed my life - no more pretty shoes to say the least.

However i don't think the doctors have much choice in taking out the nodes -- better a fat leg than spreading cancer!

I was lucky from the point of view that treatment has been very sparse in this country but I had a choice of two clinics in my vicinity. I opted for the brand new one and started treatment 3 months after the onset of the Lympho. I get bandaging every couple of months but most important and again, I'm very lucky, the MacMillan Trust paid for a Sequential Therapy machine so I use it daily and keeps the leg from getting too grotesque.

I hope you will be spared any of this -- the statistics for getting the condition are much higher in breast cancer ladies. Despite the change to my lifestyle -- my mobility was already impaired with respiratory problems which predated the cancer -- I do not question that the surgeon had any choice but to remove the nodes.
All the best
Lydia
Unread 11-02-2003, 04:19 PM

My gyn/onc did not take ANY nodes. I asked her about it and she said that she did not feel it was necessary based on what she saw. This FREAKS me out...I am not sure what I shoud do. Am I the only one who hasn't had any nodes sampled for endo ca?
Unread 11-02-2003, 08:26 PM

Susanne - I am with you - mine also didn't remove any - they had told me they were going to then when they decided my cancer was confined to the uterus they decided my lymph nodes looked good so didn't remove any. I am particularly concerned after seeing a post yesterday from a sister who thought her endoCA was confined to the uterus and it was found in a lymph node. How would it get there it the cancer hadn't gone through the uterine wall? This is scary.

I had a benign tumor removed from a lymph node in my groin three years ago (surgeon said it was a tumor attached to the lymph node and he had never seen anything like it!) and I have lymphedema from it. I never regained feeling on the inside of my thigh - and the one leg/foot swells every evening. It isn't bad though.

Jan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register