Heavy Bleeding and Blood Clots | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heavy Bleeding and Blood Clots Heavy Bleeding and Blood Clots

Unread 06-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Heavy Bleeding and Blood Clots

Over the past week, I have started having heavy bleeding and blood clots. The first times were a week ago, I had heavy bleeding and lost a few large 'clots' of blood. Scared me a bit, because from what the doctors tell me I have a tumor in the vaginal canal and no other problems. I have been bleeding almost constantly for the past 2 months. Sometimes heavy, sometimes a bit lighter, but always very fresh blood, not menstrual. Even during my periods, I have never been a heavy bleeder and in fact did not bleed too much, most likely due to the severe endriometrosis that I have. I have been told for years that my fallopian tubes are an absolute mess. When I first started bleeding, 2 months ago, I thought I had fibroids. But when I went to the doctor here, they told me that the problem was I had a vaginal tumor. I have not been thinking too much about this problem, since they said the bleeding was normal when one has a tumor and that any pressure against it, would cause it too bleed. So, I don't use tampons, my husband and I have discontinued having sex for the past 2 months and still I bleed and it's getting worse and worse and is really frightening me. I know I would feel much better if only I knew that this was normal. But somehow I feel that this not right. Last Friday, I had an appointment with my doctor and told her about the problem. She dismissed it as being normal even though I have told her in the past about my fallopian tubes and so forth. I reminded her again of this fact. She said it was normal. Well, this past weekend, my husband and I went on a short holiday trip. We did some walking, and I started bleeding heavily. The bleeding continued along with clotting. At night the bleeding continued while I slept. The bleeding was so bad that it went through my pads and clothes. I had to sit on a plastic bag and paper all the way home from our trip. The blood clotting increased, with the pieces being what I feel are quite large. Almost the size of the palm of my hand. Today, the bleeding has stopped again, and am only so far having a very light flow. But I know that it will only start up again as it has in the past. I feel so week, and strange in my abdomen. I am trying to keep a sense of humor about the whole thing, I tell my husband, he can always find me, just follow the trail of blood. haha

Does anyone on the board have any insight to this sort of thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2003, 03:31 AM

Hiya

Im afraid i cant help you with any advice on the bleeding except that you do need an explanation from your dr. If you cant get one from your normal dr then insist on seeing somebody else. Take care

Unread 06-10-2003, 05:37 AM
I would call doc

If it was me I would call the doctor right away. Or like Sheila said get into another doc. You need to let them know that your are passing those clots. I did have a time that I was passing clots, it was weird I could feel them all the way out. I went to the doctor then because that was not normal.

But I do feel that you need to go and see a doc about this as soon as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2003, 07:16 AM

I, too, like many of other the women on this site, experienced heavy, almost continual bleeding and some clots right before I saw the doctor. The only thing I would suggest is that perhaps you should have a CBC (complete blood count) taken as you might be anemic after losing all that blood. You did say you feel quite weak. This happened to me and I take iron supplements every day now. (My doctor did this right away once I told her of all the bleeding.)

Maria, you're in my prayers. God bless.
Unread 06-10-2003, 08:31 PM

Please, please see your Dr.
Bleeding that heavy is not normal.
You need to have your hemoglobin checked, and probably will require iron supplements. Have they investigated this tumor further? Have they performed a vaginal ultrasound or a biopsy?
They need to know WHAT your tumor is, and WHY you are having heavy bleeding/clots.
Be aggressive and demand they give you an answer.
Unread 06-11-2003, 01:20 AM
Update

Last night, my husband, who is Dutch, called the hospital where I'm getting treatment. He spoke with the gyn doctor on duty in emergency about my bleeding problem. Fortunately this doctor spoke very good English and she talked to me on the phone about the problem. It seems that the bleeding I have is normal, although its more severe. The bleeding is caused by the blood vessels at the tumor site being very weak and breaking easily, this in turn causes heavy bleeding. The clotting she explained is normal as well. She told me to keep an eye on things and then come in to the hospital if it continues. She agreed with everyone here on the board that I have to keep an eye on it and take iron supplements if needed. Fortunately I have not bled any more for the past 24 hours, which is surprising since I have not had a break from the bleeding for quite some time. I guess it's just God's way of giving me a break.

Thanks everyone for your support and being there for me!
Unread 06-12-2003, 09:50 AM

What is the treatment for this tumor? Has the gyn done a biopsy on it?

I had very heavy bleeding and the clots for several months. I also had a negative biopsy and a gyn that told me everything was fine. Then two days later I had a d&c to strip away the lining of the uterus and that is when they found my cancer. In my case it was found very early and taken care of with a complete hysterectomy.

I feel like I had to really push my gyn to find a diagnosis for me, when it was cancer she was very shocked. I had just turned 40.

If I could do it again I would not have been as passive as I was in the beginning. I often wonder if an earlier d&c could have stopped the cancer from developing.

take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register