Not becoming a Princess just yet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not becoming a Princess just yet Not becoming a Princess just yet

Unread 06-10-2003, 05:30 AM
Not becoming a Princess just yet

I've just got back from my followup from surgery in April. I knew the results already so it was just to discuss options. Although there was no cancer, he did find, and treat, endo. But that doesn't change the fact that I am at risk for hereditary cancer.

He gave me my options and said the decision was completely up to me. He did say that there is still a chance for my symptoms to improve a little more over the next few month and his only suggestion was to see how I go over the next couple of months before making any decisions. The pain isn't as bad as before but still pretty frequent.

My decisions are:
1) See how long I can put up with the endo before doing anything else
2) Go on Zoladex to shut down my ovaries with HRT add-back for 6 months
3) See if I can keep going another couple of years and then have a repeat of the surgery I have just had
4) TAH/BSO

I can't go back on the pill because I was having chest pains that I didn't tell my doctor about (didn't realise they were important) but they shouldn't stop me from having HRT at any point. This was really good news. I thought the chest pains might prevent HRT in the future.

I did raise my concern that abnormal bleeding is very common with endo and its treatments and is also, usually, the first symptom of endometrial cancer. It could mean missing a cancer dx early on. He said it was a very valid concern but there are no accurate screening methods for EC and could mean frequent hysteroscopies. With EC at a young age in the family the evidence is mounting for a TAH/BSO at some point.

He was very nice and kept stressing that any choice of treatment would be mine to make. Frustrating! I almost wished that the endo had been worse so that the decision would be taken out of my hands!

I think I will just have to "go with the flow" and make the decisions as and when the pain gets too bad. I knew there was no quick fix but it didn't stop me hoping.

I was too stressed out to concentrate on a good scootch. I managed a few wrinkles and a big fold! I had a big list of questions on my lap and forgot to even look at them!

Lydia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2003, 06:49 PM

Lydia,

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the dr was right and the symptoms do improve. I do hope that you can come to a decision that feels right for you.

Unread 06-15-2003, 08:29 PM

Dear Lydia,

Welcome to the superannuated Ladies in Waiting club! I can sense your frustration in that there is to be no quick fix of your health problems. Have you tried any complementary or alternative treatment methods for endometriosis? If you are going to have to play the waiting game you would have nothing to lose and who knows, might find your situation easing. In any case, I wish you the very best for the future. I am sure the TAH / BSO option will be easier to cope with if you are totally sure in your mind about it beforehand.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register