Anyone Fail at Self Cathing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone Fail at Self Cathing? Anyone Fail at Self Cathing?

Unread 06-10-2003, 06:29 AM
Anyone Fail at Self Cathing?

I am sooooooo discouraged.... I tried for 1.5 hours last night to get the cath in.... I am tooooo fat, uncooridnated, and I cant see anything below my breasts while standing or sitting, I have artificial nails and while they are not long, I can only use finger tips.... I tried sitting, standing with foot up, laying down, using mirrors, the k-y makes it extra slippery.... And another 15 minutes this morning... What the heck? I can't do this... I am sooooo freaking sore that I'll be lucky to go to the bathroom at all.... I hate my life right now.... I have to call the doc I guess and tell them what a pathetic fatso I am... How embarassing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2003, 07:07 AM

Dear Susie,

I really feel for you! Yes, even if it is embarrassing, you do need to tell your doctor so that he can help you figure out how to urinate sufficiently.

I wonder whether it might be possible to have a visiting nurse come by to help you out for a few days. Would that be covered by your insurance?

Or maybe, if it's just for a few days, wearing a catheter that just stays in might be a possibility and easier to deal with.

I can't imagine having to do this to myself--I think it would be really hard under any circumstances.

Just tell yourself.....this too shall pass!
Unread 06-10-2003, 09:42 AM

Dear Susie,

How frustrating it must be for you. ((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

I agree that you should let your doctor know that your're unable to self cath. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do that either.

Hang in there. I will be thinking of you.

Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the support

I called this morning, and spoke at lenght with his nurse... She is going to meet me at the office during lunch to help me.... Isn't she a sweetie.... I am still extremely embarrased at my inability and unfamiliarity with that region. She also thinks I have the wrong cath... Still frustrated and depressed about this... But thanks for the posts.
Unread 06-10-2003, 10:49 AM

Hi there,

I'm sorry your so frustrated, but I'm glad the nurse is willing to help you out.

Don't fear though, you're not the only one who's had this experience. After my radical hysterectomy, I ended up in the emergency room because I couldn't self-catheter. I tried and tried, but honestly, the urethra is just not a region I was familiar with.

The mental stress of not being able to urinate on my own was overwhelming. However, things finally got going and I can say I'm not longer afraid of a catheter. I had to self-catheter for three weeks, every 4 hours (except at night).

You'll get through this, and don't ever feel embarassed about anything. These nurses and doctors see all sorts of scenarios on a daily basis.

Take Care,
Kristine
Unread 06-10-2003, 02:28 PM
I DID IT!!!!!!

WELL Thank you to a caring nurse, who gave up part of her lunch hour to help me.... AND guess what! When you are given the right instruction and THE RIGHT TOOLS.... Waaaallllaaaa! BINGO! In it went and out it came... The other nurse gave me the WRONG CATH... She gave me a size 16, 14 Inch MALE CATH!!!!! versus the size 14, 6 inch cath for women!!! Plus the good nurse instructed me on physical road signs to feel for, AND said forget the mirror thing, and sitting is easier.... While we were in the bathroom and she was instructing me, the other nurse was outside, asking "Do you need a mirror??"... The good nurse looked at me and rolled her eyes and smiled... "Nope, we are going to try to learn to do it by feel, thanks anyway.".... All I know is within minutes I was done... I feel better now, and have the confidence I need to muddle through!!! Thanks to a caring nurse, who actually took the time to help me. Not just grab whatever cath she could find and give me a pamplet sending me on my way!!! No wonder I couldn;t get the other cath in!!!! I'm waddling like a duck now because of all the unecessary irritation I caused myself last night...Geesh! But thank you all for your kind words and support....
Unread 06-10-2003, 03:37 PM

Congrats!!!! You sound so proud....that's great.

I learned too the hard way that you have to either find someone to help you OR <most likely> learn on your own or by luck.

I was cath'd by my surgeon GYN as soon as I poured urine all over her when she finally saw me. I think we were both in shock. I was given a urology apt. the next day and a box of alcohol swabs....NO INSTRUCTIONS and I was in not a great state of mind to be asking questions.....

I went to the urologist the next day who took out the cath and examined me and put in a new cath. NO INSTRUCTIONS....again....I didn't know to ask <back then>

It wasn't until my foley fell out some 2 months later <while peeing it slipped right out> and I had to go to the ER that I received INSTRUCTIONS on how to care for a foley cath at home.....

Thank goodness I had enough sense to wear gloves and use alcohol swabs when changing bags or emptying.....

POINT...There is a LOT of bad care out there.....and I'm sooooo happy for YOU that you found a caring woman to help you.

After the cath fell out 3 times in 4 days....my GYN had my hubby come in and she taught hubby how to put in a cath so I could avoid an ER visit. AND she also filled the balloon to 30cc's so it wouldn't come out.....talk about uncomfortable....

BE YOUR own advocate. Come here, ask questions, listen to your body....I only found this WONDERFUL website AFTER I had my fistula repair 3 months later.

Everyone here has been such a great help to me.

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) and congrats again.

Renee<who just jogged/wallked and now has swelly belly...YIKES>
Unread 06-10-2003, 04:26 PM

Hi Susie!!

I am soooo glad that you found a nurse that took her time to SHOW you how to put it in right!! Your initial post made me think of myself and trying to stent while having a BM. I have a large belly and with my back pain can not do it at all!

I will also be going through the catheter thing soon so dont feel bad, I too will more than likely have problems. I will make sure I get someone to show me instead of just instructing me..

I will be thinking about ya and praying that you have no more problems!!

HUGS dear sister!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register