help-4 months pregnant and dr.recommends hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help-4 months pregnant and dr.recommends hysterectomy help-4 months pregnant and dr.recommends hysterectomy

Unread 06-12-2003, 05:30 AM
help-4 months pregnant and dr.recommends hysterectomy

I am currently 4 months pregnant and have been diagnosed with endocervical cancer.i am still waiting for results from a second biopsy, but based on the first report, my dr. has recommended a hysterectomy.i am desperate for any other alternative?has anyone experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 01:20 PM

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Does the DR that recommended your hysterectomy know that you are pregnant? Is it a fast growing cancer or can it wait to be treated after baby's birth? Do they think it's gotten into the uterus or still just in the cervix? I know it's really hard to think of the right questions to ask when you are talking to the doctor. You prepare for the worst news, you think you'll remember what you had questions about, and then the news just blindsides you. Get a pen and paper and write down every question you can think of. Keep it by the phone just in case they phone your results to you and don't forget to take it with you to your next appt. I will you keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 06-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Hysterectomy after birth

I am sure your doc is suggesting the hysterectomy after the birth of your child. I had endocervical adenocarcinoma, and read all I could on the subject. And from what I had read, they usually do the birth, in cases like yours, by c-section and then do the hysterectomy right after the birth.

Did your doctor give you any information about how far he thinks the cancer had spread.

Huge s. And may God bless you and your child.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Pregnant and Cancer

There is a special site for women pregnant with cancer--and I think that's the name: Pregnant With Cancer. I know a woman on another board who was diagnosed with ovarian while pregnant--they took the ovary and carefully did chemo on her. She and baby are fine. There are options for you. Be sure to check with a gyn/onc and get a second opinion. Ellen
Unread 06-12-2003, 03:48 PM

Just did a quick Google search. The web site that Ellen referred to is an ".org," not a ".com." Its URL is:

http://www.pregnantwithcancer.org/

I'm so sorry you're having to think about all this at such a happy time. I know there are probably many options to consider. Check the web site that Ellen mentioned, and try to find others who have been in a similar situation. I wish I knew something about your particular cancer, but I don't.

My heart goes to you. Sending s and prayers your way!
Unread 06-12-2003, 05:36 PM

no, he is suggesting the hysterectomy now.he says i would be putting my life at risk if i waited another 20 weeks to have the baby. i don't know what stage the cancer is yet, but i also called and talked to another dr. and she says this type of cancer is very agressive and because of the way it spreads, this is probably the only option. i will definitely check out that website.thanks
Unread 06-13-2003, 05:42 AM
I am so sorry

I would make sure that I got a second, third, or fourth opinion, before I would jump to a decision like that. I am so sorry that the doc is suggesting the hyst at this moment. Also is he a GYN/ONC?? As well as the other doctor that you talked to? Please let us know what happens. God Bless you and your baby.
Unread 06-13-2003, 07:39 AM

yes, the one who suggested the hysterectomy is a gyn/onc.the other dr. i was referring to is my regular ob doctor. we are still waiting for the second biopsy report and he has not sat down with us yet and said that this is his definite recommendation, so our plan is to meet with him following this report and the we will probably get a second opinion regardless.
to the woman who said she had this cancer during pregnancy-how far along were you when it was diagnosed?did you have the hysterectomy after delivery?do you know what stage you were?
thanks for your support.
Unread 06-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Woman With Cancer During Pregnancy

She was operated on at 19 weeks' gestation for an ovarian cancer--she had one of the more rare types and not epithelial. She did fine and baby is fine, But remember, hers is a different cancer (ovarian vs. uterine) and they could do some surgery on her. I hope... Ellen
Unread 06-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Advocacy in action

I am so sorrry you are going through this. One thing you might want to do- realizing you are probably pretty warn out emotionally and physically, is to contact another medical center outside your own area. See if you can have your case reviewed by another tumor board. I did this last year for my son. I contacted the NIH whom referred me to a specific Dr on the East Coast. (I'm on the West Coast) I contacted that doctor, whom gladly allowed me to send on my records. It is vital that you have a copy of your own records so you can advocate for yourself and your baby at this point.

Also, (I know at least Cedars-Sinai in Beverly Hills where I take my son does this), see if you can have your case evaluated by whatever facility you are to be treated at "Ethic Commitee" -you might gain qualified support while you make this monumental decision that is truely only yours.

A big hug to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register