What is the tummy pillow for? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the tummy pillow for? What is the tummy pillow for?

Unread 06-12-2003, 05:05 PM
What is the tummy pillow for?

I don't understand this. Several women have talked about this pillow. How big should it be and what is it for????

Thanks for the support.

Alana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 05:12 PM

Hi Alana,

A tummy pillow is used to splint your incision after surgery. In other words, you press against your incision when you need to cough and it helps to ease the pain that something like coughing can cause. It can also be used when changing positions that affect the abdominal area, and can be especially useful under the lap part of the seatbelt in the car.

A tummy pillow is usually on the small side (maybe half the size of a standard bed pillow), but just about anything can do. When I worked in the hospital, we frequently made tummy "pillows" for the post-op patients by taking a light weight blanket and folding it up.

Best wishes and s
Unread 06-13-2003, 02:19 PM

This site sells tummy pillows. I just bought a small pillow at Target for about $4. After surgery, you kind of feel like your insides are going to fall out onto the floor, so holding the pillow tight to your tummy helps you walk around. It's also helpful when going to the restroom, laughing, coughin, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2003, 05:28 AM

I used a pillow for the first week, cause that's what it said on this site. After I got settled at home, I continued to use an old bed pillow to sort of prop up my tummy when side-lying (similar to during pregnancy...) but once I had to cough, and grabbed the first thing handy, which was small towel AND THIS WORKED MUCH BETTER FOR COUGHING. I think the fact that I was pressing harder made the difference. but this was AFTER STAPLES WERE OUT. I then realized that I hadn't been pressing hard enough with the soft pillow!!

Best wishes.

Esther
Unread 06-15-2003, 12:41 PM

Hi Alana

I had 2 c-sections over 25 years ago and the small pillow was a real comfort for all the reasons that everyone else talked about.

Last year I had a hysterectomy and instead of having to use a pillow, the doctors put what looks like a big velcro girdle around my stomach right after surgery. It looked funny but was wonderful. It kept me all together and I never had any swelling. In fact my stomach got flat as a board. I also did not need the pillow, this was more than enough support.

Ask your doctor about it.

Rosalie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register