stage 1b cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stage 1b cancer stage 1b cancer

Unread 06-12-2003, 07:29 PM
stage 1b cancer

Hi, I just registered with this web earlier today and I absolutely love it. I wish I knew about it when I was 1st diagnosed with cancer and going thru surgery and so on. I've been on this for hours today and learning alot!! And, I don't feel so alone.I'm sorry that we all have to experience this.
As I was reading, I've been seeing where women with stage 1b cancer (what i have) are also following up treatment with radiation or chemo. My question is how come my dr never suggested that. Is it because my path reports came back negative. I would do it as a precaution. I had ovaries, tubes cervix uterus and and 2 lymph nodes removed. If anyone would know...please tell me....Joyce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 08:27 PM
stage 1b cancer

You didn't mention what type of cancer you had, but I had stage 1b1 cervical cancer. My surgery day was the same as yours (TAH/BSO and 18 lymph nodes dissected). My path report came back negative, so I don't need to have radiation or chemo. I do have to have PAP's every 3 months for 2 years and every 6 months thereafter. My Dr said that my type of cancer, if it should come back, would do so during the 1st year. So frequent PAP's are a better trade-off to radiation or chemo !

Having said all that, we all have unique diagnoses, so only your Dr can say for sure what your treatment plan should be. Don't be afraid to call and ask questions. These ??? don't come up all at the same time, so write them down and then you will have them available to ask. If you are like me, I want to understand everything: who, what, when, where and why.

Hope your recovery is going smoothly!

mseagle
Unread 06-13-2003, 09:20 AM
stage 1b cancer

My cervical cancer was discovered at stage 1b2. In May I was scheduled for a radical hysterectomy and my doctor told me I wouldn't need any further treatment if the cancer had not spread.

Unfortunately, during surgery they found the cancer spread to a lymph node. They took out my ovaries, tubes and some lymph nodes, but left everything else. Next week I start chemo and radiation.

From what I've read and heard, the pathology report seems to determine the next step in cervical cancer treatment. One of my doctors said surgery is the preferred first step in cervical cancer treatment, especially for younger women. Radiation can cause some permanent problems down the road so they avoid it if possible.

I glad you are "all done!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2003, 01:48 PM
stage 1b cancer

hey mess......

I guess all doctors have different ways and thoughts about treating cancer.

What part of NY are you from..

I am in Long Island.

Rosalie
Unread 06-13-2003, 02:31 PM
stage 1b cancer

Hey, thanks for the reply's, answers. I'm from upstate ny. I have stage 1b cancer and am at 8 weeks post op (as of the 16th). I go back to work on Monday and I am sooooo nervous. I just hope I don't break down and make a fool of myself. I'm not sure how to make people understand about what i went or am going thru. I have had so many women say "you'll be fine...I had a hysterectomy". But, for some reason...I'm still not coping well...(just ask my family). Anyway, I guess I'll have to see how things go.
Thanks again...Joyce
Unread 06-13-2003, 02:48 PM
stage 1b cancer

Hystmess,
I think you'll find that going back to work is a good thing. I went back part-time after 3 weeks and everyone was extremely supportive. Even though my coworkers are mostly women, none have had a hysterectomy. (Actually, I had a salpingo-oophorectomy.)

While I was at home, I started going through surgical menopause -- crying jags, hot flashes, etc. Since I still have cancer and haven't started the chemo and radiation treatments, I just obsessed and felt sorry for myself. Back at work, I haven't cried once -- too busy!!
Unread 06-13-2003, 07:42 PM
stage 1b cancer

Hi Joyce...

Going back to work is the best medicine...

I wanted to go back to work after 3 weeks but doc and I compromised on 5 .

I also worked all thru my chemo. Staying at home just made my mind wander too too much.

It will be good to get out of the house.

Rosalie
Unread 06-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Hi Joyce,

and welcome to HS. This is a great site. I also didn't start having other treatments other than my hyst until my recurrence. I think ThereseA is right by stating that it depends on the path report. Mine came back clear after surgery so I didn't need chemo or radiation which surprised me also at that time.

I think going back to work will be great. It does keep your mind off things, it's amazing. I only work half days right now while doing my chemo, and the days I don't make it in, I really miss it.

's and ers to you...
Unread 06-14-2003, 10:17 AM
stage 1b cancer

Hi Tammy, thank you for your reply. I have another question, when you had your reacurrence, where did the cancer come back? That really scares me. I thought after getting my path reports, I have a clean bill of health...I guess not huh? Oh well, I've been crying uncontrollably, so, I guess time will tell. I just feel like giving up at times. Once I have this horrible disease, seems like i'll always have it. I wish you the best with your treatments.
Joyce
Unread 06-14-2003, 12:47 PM
stage 1b cancer

I also was diagnosed with IB1 cervical cancer.

Everyone is right here in that the final pathology report determines whether or not further treatment will be needed.

In my case I was given the option to pursue chemo and radiation. Without the therapies I was give a 70 percent five year survival as opposed to a 90 plus percent survival with the added therapies. My pathology report showed some factors which could lead to a recurrence.

Although I'm not thrilled about menopause and the after effects of radiation, I'd rather get everything out of the way the first time.

I would definitely ask your doctor more questions if you're concerned. I also have copies of all my surgery and pathology reports and I've found those to also be very helpful.

Good luck!

Kristine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register