Returning to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to work Returning to work

Unread 06-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Returning to work

I went to the doctors originally because of a severe constipation problem. He said I needed a rectocele done and at the same time he recommended I have my bladder lifted and my uterus removed. I had my bladder lifted about 15 years ago and seems to be working pretty well. He said that my uterus and bladder were dropped but not a huge amount. He said if I didn't have it done that he would hate to see me back there again in a couple years to have the surgery again.

He said he would do it vaginally and the most uncomfortable part would be the rectocele. I know I have to take it easy for 6 weeks, but I really need to work after two weeks for half days. It will be sit down work. I was wondering if anyone thought I was pushing it a little to think I could return to work so soon.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Too Soon For Me~!

Even though I too have a sit down job I think that two weeks after surgery is way too soon. Especially when I have had this kind of surgery in the past and knowing how just going to the potty or taking a shower left me so drained that I had to go to sleep. But everyone is different and you may heal much faster than I did.

You said you have to work???? Or do you want to? Is your employer going to pay you for time off? Or are you facing losing your job. Just wondering....you don't have to answer if you feel I was too much of a busy body. Just wondering to get insight as to why you are thinking this way.

Good luck in advance and I am sure that you will be well.

Gods Speed
Unread 06-13-2003, 12:01 AM
Returning to work

Hi Annie I've got to tell you, the rectocele repair is going to make sitting for any length of time uncomfortable for several weeks. I sat on a donut pillow for six weeks after my surgery last year, and wasn't too comfortable sitting at all for the first month. I don't think I could have even considered working in a sit down job for at least six weeks. Nope!

Are you absolutely sure you need to have a hyst and bladder lift now? A hyst is a very major surgery... if it's not absolutely necessary I would try to avoid having one (this from someone who had no choice). It is possible to have just a rectocele repair... and put off deciding about a hyst and bladder lift until it's obviously necessary. Having to possibly have another surgery a few years down the road is really no big deal, I had to have one three months after my hyst to fix a problem with my A&P repairs (cystocele and rectocele) and it was a piece of cake. The rectocele is MUCH easier without the hyst, and then you wouldn't have to possibly deal with surgical menopause, which CAN happen even if you keep your ovaries.

Have you gotten a second opinion yet? I would definitely recommend you do that; some insurances even require it. Please don't rush into anything if you don't have to, take your time and figure out what is the best option for you, OK?
s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register