allergy to sutures | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

allergy to sutures allergy to sutures

Unread 06-13-2003, 10:03 AM
allergy to sutures

I had a TAH sixteen months ago and still have weird red bumps and something that looks like hives come up along my incision scar. The doctor says I must be allergic to the sutures and says that they should eventually go away. Have any of you ladies had this problem? Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2003, 02:04 PM
allergy to sutures

Hi,

I am allergic to stitches and I know that in my case, my incision would come open and I would get a severe infection. That happened immediately and as soon as they came out and I was on antibiotics, it would leave again. I would have some redness for a few days after but that was it.

It is strange for it to be there after 16 months, maybe you should re think the allergy theory. I'm not sure what else to tell you about it, but I think its a long time after surgery for you to be experiencing problems with the sutures.

That's all I can tell you, wish I could be of more help to you. Take care and let us know if you get another opinion on what it is.

s,
Candida
Unread 06-14-2003, 08:42 AM
allergy to sutures

Hi there and welcome to Hyster Sisters

I'm sorry you're still having problems with your incision, 16 months down the road. I tend to agree with Candida that it is a long time to have an allergic reaction to sutures. Wouldn't they have either dissolved or been removed by now I would also think that an allergic reaction that severe would have been earlier in the process

Have you given any thoughts to obtaining a second opinion? Who knows, there might relief available.

Sending lots of s your way and hoping that you feel better soon. Please keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2003, 12:43 PM
allergy to sutures

Since we are on the subject of suture reactions ....

I am 11 weeks post and at my 6 week check up I pointed out a pea size lump just above my incision on the inside to my Dr. He told me that I was having a reaction to my stitches and to knead it and it would go away with time ... well, i've been kneading it, and it has gotten just slightly larger and is still very hard ... just wondering if I should be all that concerned??

thanks in advance for the input
Shannon
Unread 06-19-2003, 04:52 PM
allergy/reaction to sutures

wellllll. I've been putting off replying to this thread for fear of scaring anyone but now I'm going to reply and still don't want to scare anyone. Keep in mind that I am not a medical proessional and this is just my experience.

Immediately after surgery in December of last year I had a severe allergic reaction to something in my groin (I'd had a hernia repaired in that area as well as some other work done abdominally). I went to the ER and they never figured out what the allergic reaction was to but treated it and within two weeks it went away.

I continued to have pain in my groin area but no outward signs of an allergic reaction, no redness, no hives etc. My Dr had a ct scan ran and it turned out that I was having a reaction to the sutures that had been used internally and they had caused granulomas to form which were very painful and needed to be removed surgically. Even though the internal sutures were no longer present they had started a reaction inside of my body that was continuing. That is how it was explained to me. An allergy is something that usually only takes place while the substance is still there to cause the allergy and thus the hives etc. but usually stops once the substance is removed or disolved.

So...((Longo)) as for continuing to get hives, I would have to agree with the other sisters that it would be rather late to still be having an allergic reaction to sutures unless your DR used some sort of permanent suture. Are you using anything topically on your incision?

((Shezpunke)) it sounds like you have the same thing going that I did only my entire groin was filled with them, I hope the massages wotk for you.

Good luck to you both.

Dawn
Unread 06-19-2003, 06:28 PM
allergy to sutures

well today i finally logged on as i haven't in awhile....i have been at my whits end and decided i needed to get some feedback today and am now on my 2nd post of the day.....i too am experiencing some horrible incision pain and am also 16 months from 1st surgery....had 2nd surgery 13 months ago and after severe pain and complaints of 2 stitches not dissolving the dr. decided to remove stitch well i went in for a quick ten minute removal of undissolved internal stitch and over 1hr.later under and wide awake(local used) i finally asked if dr.was done and he advised me he had run into problems.....the stitch had abcessed and scarred over so he had to clean up the abcess and scar tissue then he finally got down to the stitch and removed it well by the time he was done i was in immense pain even though he used a local i could feel him tugging and pulling and i could hear what he was talking about.....well he finished sewed me up and began to explain what he had done and i said well what about the other stitch on the opposite side of incision and he said he didn't know about it which of course we had talked about so i showed him and he felt the knot of the stitch and said we would discuss it later.....well that was almost 1 year ago and i am still having pain in the area but of course you can't grab the knot anymore i am assuming it is also scarred over but it really hurts....pinches and burns i have had another surgery since but that dr. didn't want to be bothered with it and i am now seeing a plastic surgeon who i have to convince there is still something there.....sorry to go on and on but i thought maybe you could look into the fact the stitch may not have dissolved.....good luck and sorry to vent just one of those days.....take care and i hope you find some relief soon....neener
Unread 06-20-2003, 11:42 AM
allergy to sutures

Hi Dawn

thanks for your reply ... i'll definately keep an eye on my lil bumpy thing now!!! Think I'd better go a knead it somemore heheheheh!!!

Everyone here is so great
Shannon
Unread 06-20-2003, 11:56 AM
Shannon.......

your post made me smile...hehe thanks!!! I can always use one of those!! Be sure to keep bugging your doc about this even if he doesnt want to hear it!!! I had told my doc about it qute a few times before he actually took the time to have a look and then he only did it because he was tired of hearing me complain. He had never made the connection between my allergic reaction and trip to the ER and the pain that I was still having. Does it caouse you any pain? I hope not. I thin mine had just gone on for so long and was such a severe reaction and left unattended for so long which is why it required open abdominal surgery agin. I hope you do well.

((Longo)) Neener had a really good point about a stitch possibly still being intact, my doc said (NOT that he knows all!) that even the dissolvable sutures when tied in so many knots some times do not dissolve properly. Good luck to you as well.
Dawn
Unread 06-20-2003, 02:18 PM
allergy to sutures

Dawn -

Luckily it isn't causing me any discomfort whatsover, I only found it when I was doing a "numbnes check" heheheh ... and now that i know it is there, I of course have to keep feeling it. The other lucky thing is my Dr is very very cool (not to mention only 47 and attractive LOL), he isn't one to not see you or not believe you or blow you off ... his wife is going thru the same things as I was and he knows what it is like to live that way so he never brushes me off

Shannon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register